This week, the UK government is taking away our Human Rights

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2022, 6:33 am

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2022/ju ... ghts-court

This means that the UK government can stop the internationally recognised Human Rights Act applying to people in the UK and instead write their own British Bill of Rights. In which they can put anything they please because no other countries will be able to say 'hang on a minute, that isn't fair.' The British Bill of Rights will be entirely decided on by the UK government.

It also means they can decide exactly who is British? Maybe not refugees. Maybe not British people who were born in other countries but who have lived here for 50 years. And who would be next after that? I dread to think.

Pray for us.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2022, 6:43 am

They're not taking away our rights, that's a bit overly dramatic to think they are.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2022, 6:46 am

They can do what they like once they move us out of the ECHR. Just wait and see, don't say I didn't warn you.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2022, 6:48 am

KitLily wrote:
They can do what they like once they move us out of the ECHR. Just wait and see, don't say I didn't warn you.

They can't. Any decision will need to get past a judge to he put into practice properly. If a law seems unfair then they'll kick it to the curb.

It's always been like that.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2022, 6:50 am

I sincerely hope you're right. Hopefully our judges aren't as crazy as the US Supreme Court.