Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2022, 12:53 pm

QFT wrote:
Fnord wrote:
QFT wrote:
If I pick up a book, I first see a title. After that, I open and read the book. They don't put the whole book's content on a title. Same with lawsuit. You first say what it is about, then after that you make a case.
A legal brief is a document that is submitted to a court by a party to a lawsuit.  In the document, that party lists the reasons why he should prevail over the other party or parties to a lawsuit.  Legal briefs are often submitted together with a motion at the trial court level.

In American courts, the brief typically has the following parts:

• a table of contents

• a table of authorities listing the cases, statutes, and regulations that are cited

• a presentation of the issues under review by the court, usually in only one sentence if possible

• a statement of the case that presents the relevant facts and the previous history of the case in the lower courts

• a summary of the legal standard of review that the appellate court should use in evaluating the decision of the lower court

• a summary of the party's argument

• the full discussion of the legal and/or policy arguments explaining why the party believes it should win the case, which will be the most lengthy portion of the brief.

The brief may also be accompanied by an appendix that includes copies of the lower court opinions and other documents or court opinions cited in the brief.  The particular required format of briefs is a matter of local court procedural rules.

Link to Source 
Are you saying Trump supporters left all those other sections blank?
Where they hell did I say that?!  Never infer more than what I have explicitly stated, unless I label it as a joke or sarcasm.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2022, 1:18 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The High Plains is an interesting place. I wouldn't mind going there. One of the reasons why it's so interesting---is because it's a vast emptiness.

I am from that part of the country. Every thirty miles or so is a little town. Often you have to travel at least half an hour or more just to get to a Walmart. Many urban people would go crazy if stranded there for a month. Desolation is a good word to describe many of the areas.

It is quite common that the only candidate for local offices are Republican, as there are not enough supporters to vote in a Democrat candidate. Kansas is usually very strongly Republican, as it runs in their history since statehood. I have seen a presidential election in my hometown that was 98+% for the Republican side. There is a 2004 book called “What is Matter with Kansas” that addresses why the state votes that way.

They did vote in a democratic governor in the last election for that office because the previous Republican governor (Brownback) was so bad. Will the current one get re-elected this year is a question yet to be answered.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2022, 6:32 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
QFT wrote:
Fnord wrote:
QFT wrote:
If I pick up a book, I first see a title. After that, I open and read the book. They don't put the whole book's content on a title. Same with lawsuit. You first say what it is about, then after that you make a case.
A legal brief is a document that is submitted to a court by a party to a lawsuit.  In the document, that party lists the reasons why he should prevail over the other party or parties to a lawsuit.  Legal briefs are often submitted together with a motion at the trial court level.

In American courts, the brief typically has the following parts:

• a table of contents

• a table of authorities listing the cases, statutes, and regulations that are cited

• a presentation of the issues under review by the court, usually in only one sentence if possible

• a statement of the case that presents the relevant facts and the previous history of the case in the lower courts

• a summary of the legal standard of review that the appellate court should use in evaluating the decision of the lower court

• a summary of the party's argument

• the full discussion of the legal and/or policy arguments explaining why the party believes it should win the case, which will be the most lengthy portion of the brief.

The brief may also be accompanied by an appendix that includes copies of the lower court opinions and other documents or court opinions cited in the brief.  The particular required format of briefs is a matter of local court procedural rules.

Link to Source 

If it is expressly in that format, then I guess they would know it.

But this leads to another question: are you saying Trump supporters left all those other sections blank? I mean its hard to believe. They probably did put at least something?

It was either blank or nonsense. The only reason they filed the frivolous lawsuits was to keep the ruse of the big lie going so they could tell trump supporters they filed lawsuits that they needed to fund raise for.. then they scammed tons of money out of people while they kept the charade up for as long as possible.

What goldfish21 said, in a nutshell. Or, at least, that is what intelligent observation leads us to. The filings were made by licensed lawyers who absolutely should have known what they were supposed to include. So why didn't they? Because they didn't have facts on the ground to support their cases. Then why file without the facts? The only reasonable answer is that it was all a big spin campaign to keep up the Big Lie. They counted on the public not understanding what the briefs had to include and, thus, being vulnerable to the claim that the courts were being partisan. The evidence that the spin worked with a lot of people exists right here in this thread, but its all part of the Big Lie. Meanwhile, Trump is out fundraising saying he needs the money for court filings, and using the money, instead, to elect more of his loyalists to office.