Separation Of Church and State takes a big hit

Page 5 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 11:33 am

Fnord wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Fnord knows what being a part of a small minority is all about. At that time he did not know he was even in a minority because nobody knew about autism back then. That was horrible. I do not know if Fnord knows what being part of a small recognized minority is like.
Actually, I knew first-hand what being a minority was all about starting in the third grade (1965-1966), when I was so excited to learn some of my ancestors were Native American / First Nations people that I told the entire class about it.  Less than a week later, I was tied to a tree on the school playground while the other kids threw dirt in my face and spat on me for being a "dirty injun".  The teachers did nothing about it.  They also expected me to dress in a buckskin loincloth, feathered bonnet, and "warpaint" for a Thanksgiving play (I refused).

So yeah, I knew early on what being a minority is like.  The undiagnosed "aspieness" merely added to the problem.

As for this thread's subject, there is no point in railing against the Supreme Court's decisions.  People expecting the current SCOTUS to render decisions favoring atheists, LGBTQ+ people, minorities, and women should remember that it was Donald J. Trump who stacked the court with no less than 3 conservative justices: Neil Gorsuch, Brett Kavanaugh, and Amy Coney Barrett.  These justices are part of the conservative majority that decides which of our laws shall stand, and which shall fall.  The fact that SCOTUS has rendered decisions favoring conservative points of view is only a reflection of Trump's own personal views on what this country should look like and how it should be run.

If people do not like SCOTUS's decisions, then they should vote against any candidate who supports Trump.  Eventually, SCOTUS will be back to normal, and everyone will once again enjoy freedom.

I have never voted for Trump and never will because of many reasons. One purpose of this site is for people to vent. That does not do anything as far as the big picture is concerned but it might help the person get it out of their system and move on.

I am sure at the time all the school plays where Indians were savages and cowboys killed them all was very unpleasant. It is possible if you read about SCOTUS allowing a such a voluntary play on school grounds by school employees after hours on first amendment grounds you might disagree.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 11:37 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Fnord knows what being a part of a small minority is all about. At that time he did not know he was even in a minority because nobody knew about autism back then. That was horrible. I do not know if Fnord knows what being part of a small recognized minority is like.
Actually, I knew first-hand what being a minority was all about starting in the third grade (1965-1966), when I was so excited to learn some of my ancestors were Native American / First Nations people that I told the entire class about it.  Less than a week later, I was tied to a tree on the school playground while the other kids threw dirt in my face and spat on me for being a "dirty injun".  The teachers did nothing about it.  They also expected me to dress in a buckskin loincloth, feathered bonnet, and "warpaint" for a Thanksgiving play (I refused).

So yeah, I knew early on what being a minority is like.  The undiagnosed "aspieness" merely added to the problem.

As for this thread's subject, there is no point in railing against the Supreme Court's decisions.  People expecting the current SCOTUS to render decisions favoring atheists, LGBTQ+ people, minorities, and women should remember that it was Donald J. Trump who stacked the court with no less than 3 conservative justices: Neil Gorsuch, Brett Kavanaugh, and Amy Coney Barrett.  These justices are part of the conservative majority that decides which of our laws shall stand, and which shall fall.  The fact that SCOTUS has rendered decisions favoring conservative points of view is only a reflection of Trump's own personal views on what this country should look like and how it should be run.

If people do not like SCOTUS's decisions, then they should vote against any candidate who supports Trump.  Eventually, SCOTUS will be back to normal, and everyone will once again enjoy freedom.

I have never voted for Trump and never will because of many reasons. One purpose of this site is for people to vent. That does not do anything as far as the big picture is concerned but it might help the person get it out of their system and move on.

I am sure at the time all the school plays where Indians were savages and cowboys killed them all was very unpleasant. It is possible if you read about SCOTUS allowing a such a voluntary play on school grounds by school employees after hours on first amendment grounds you might disagree.
While I would disagree with SCOTUS, I would also be unable to overrule SCOTUS.

Sure, venting may relieve someone's anger, but at the high risk of triggering anger in someone else with no guaranty that both people would feel anger toward the same thing.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 11:42 am

Fnord wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Sure, venting may relieve someone's anger, but at the high risk of triggering anger in someone else with no guaranty that both people would feel anger toward the same thing.

Once again, I’m not following.

People vent over Roe vs. Wade even though venting over it will anger people on the other side as it almost certainly will and has.

People can openly disagree with something and/or vent even if that angers the other side unless it breaks the forum’s rules for some reason.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 30 Jun 2022, 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 11:43 am

↑ Do you really see only two sides to this issue?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 11:44 am

Fnord wrote:

It doesn’t matter if there are multiple sides. People are still free to express their opinion whether you like it or not.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 12:20 pm

Fnord wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

While I would disagree with SCOTUS, I would also be unable to overrule SCOTUS.

And it might harm the person venting because it will begin a negative thought loop, a risk arguably higher for autistic people. These are the risks we voluntarily take when we use the privilege granted to us by Alex.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 12:28 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Fnord wrote:
It doesn’t matter if there are multiple sides. People are still free to express their opinion whether you like it or not.
Who said you could not express your feelings?

Or are you feeling oppressed simply because someone else's opinions are not in sync with your own?

SpiralingCrow
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 12:32 pm

Sometimes, it's just nice to have a good debate, exchanging ideas and sparring back and forth. You can disagree with someone and be respectful at the same time.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 12:38 pm

Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Who said you could not express your feelings?

Or are you feeling oppressed simply because someone else's opinions are not in sync with your own?

When you expressed this:

“As for this thread's subject, there is no point in railing against the Supreme Court's decisions”

and this:

“There you have it. Unless yours is a higher power than the Supreme Court of The United States, all your claims against Coach Joseph Kennedy are both null and void”

and this:

“Sure, venting may relieve someone's anger, but at the high risk of triggering anger in someone else with no guaranty that both people would feel anger toward the same thing”

as well as other comments it sounded as though you were suggesting that people should not be debating this.

No, I’m not feeling oppressed. Here, you are getting close to ad hominem, though.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 1:29 pm

It shouldn’t be pointless to express any point of view….even if it goes against an authority like the Supreme Court.

It certainly wasn’t pointless to argue for school desegregation at the time when the “Separate but equal” doctrine was the precedent set by the Supreme Court.

As long as an argument is cogent and makes objective sense, it is a viable argument—and certainly not pointless.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 1:33 pm

Yawn, Considering Science
Shows most every So-Called
Rational Decision is Made After
the 'Fact' of Human Emotions

Driving What We
'Think' Are Our

Rational Decisions;

There is Plenty of
Scientific Evidence that
Railing Against Supreme

Court Justice Opinions That

Drive The Decision Making Process

Back to Law-Makers, may DraW iN Much

Bigger Crowds of Democrats to Vote in this Next Election

And Perhaps One Day Have A Big Enough Majority And Emotional
'Nuts' To Make new

Laws Protecting

Us From Potential

Theocratic And Or
Autocratic Rule Against

All This Country Supposedly

Stood For From the Start To Come

Over Here And Escape That BS From 'The Old World Order' Then...

Yes, 'A New World Order', is Separation of Church And State Lessening

The Impact
of the Greatest

Human Pandemic
of Ignorance that

Harms, Rapes, Maims,

And Kills Most; Not Just US

Yet the Rest of Frigging Breathing

Nature that Makes this Circle of Existence Even Possible At All...

There Are Way too Many Conspiratorial Religious Believers STiLL Looking
Forward to the End of the World As We Know It; Self Fulfilling Prophecies

Will Indeed Come

to 'term' If We

Allow Ignorance

to Rain Down

Ignorance's

Tom Foolery in deed...

Now Listen, Obviously Not Every Human
Being Has a Depth of Human Emotions to
Drive Them to Change Yet Science Shows

And My God Trump (the Meme) Shows Just how Much Humans
(Minions) Will Be Ruled By Emotions First; Core to Politics, All Human

Politics;

Understand

Our 'Shadows'

Rule; Bring them

Out, Play With Them;

And Rule 'Your' World At Least...

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 1:33 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It shouldn’t be pointless to express any point of view….even if it goes against an authority like the Supreme Court.  It certainly wasn’t pointless to argue for school desegregation at the time when the “Separate but equal” doctrine was the precedent set by the Supreme Court.  As long as an argument is cogent and makes objective sense, it is a viable argument—and certainly not pointless.
My use of "Pointless" means that such arguments as you have pointed out have no measurable effect against a SCOTUS decision that has already been made.

But if the entire point is for people to express frustration in not getting the decision they wanted, then I guess you have a point.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 1:40 pm

It doesn’t have any measurable effect now…this doesn’t mean it won’t have a measurable effect in the future.

Look at the long process which led to the overturning of Roe v Wade.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 1:44 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It doesn’t have any measurable effect now…this doesn’t mean it won’t have a measurable effect in the future.
Ahh . . . political action by voodoo!  Gotta love it!
kraftiekortie wrote:
Look at the long process which led to the overturning of Roe v Wade.
Look how quickly the current judges overturned it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 1:55 pm

The overturning of Roe v Wade was a years-long process. The Pro-Life people used the legal system well.

So did Thurgood Marshall and his compatriots when it came to the 1954 Supreme Court decision—which overturned an 1896 Supreme Court decision.

Jurisprudence is a dynamic thing, despite the desires of conservatives like Clarence Thomas.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 2:00 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The overturning of Roe v Wade was a years-long process. The Pro-Life people used the legal system well.  So did Thurgood Marshall and his compatriots when it came to the 1954 Supreme Court decision—which overturned an 1896 Supreme Court decision.  Jurisprudence is a dynamic thing, despite the desires of conservatives like Clarence Thomas.
Unless SCOTUS become majority liberal in out lifetimes, we are unlikely to see Roe v Wade reinstated.