Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 2:17 am

Quote:
‘New era’ as NATO ‘takes on’ Russia and China
5 hours ago

ANU’s Emeritus Professor of Strategic Studies Professor Hugh White says there is a “new era” in global strategic affairs – as NATO face the aggression of Russia and China.

NATO leaders endorsed a new security strategy for the next decade, labelling China as the biggest threat to global peace and security.

Mr White said NATO are “playing catch up” as they face the aggression of Russia and China.

“The words aren’t going to make much difference,” he told Sky News Australia.

“They’ve taken on two very powerful states.”

https://www.skynews.com.au/world-news/c ... bcd77e91ab

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 2:33 am

Good to see you. How's the tail hanging?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Jun 2022, 3:22 am

Pepe wrote:
Quote:
NATO leaders endorsed a new security strategy for the next decade, labelling China as the biggest threat to global peace and security.
That's in disagreement to what I read about the summit.
Quote:
The Russian Federation is the most significant and direct threat to Allies’ security and to peace and stability in the Euro-Atlantic area.
https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/offi ... 196951.htm
Generally look how many times "Russia" appears in the document (11) and how many times "China" appears in the document (1, We face systemic competition from those, including the People’s Republic of China, who challenge our interests, security, and values and seek to undermine the rules-based international order.).

That's definitely not "labelling China as the biggest threat". I wonder who twisted it that way and why.

Also, conflating Russian agression with Chinese behavior is... pretty misleading. One has started an open, brutal, WWII-like war by attacking another country. The other makes various worrying moves but literally nothing of this kind. NATO summit documents make the distinction clear. I wish Sky News did as well.

Generally, the summit is interesting and historic - Sweden and Finland got accepted, rapid reaction forces in Europe are to be increased from 40,000 to 300,000 and permanent headquarters of US Army 5th Corps will be established in Poland.
I guess Putin did not have these among his goals when attacking Ukraine.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 8:20 pm

magz wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Quote:
That's in disagreement to what I read about the summit.
Quote:
The Russian Federation is the most significant and direct threat to Allies’ security and to peace and stability in the Euro-Atlantic area.
https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/offi ... 196951.htm
Generally look how many times "Russia" appears in the document (11) and how many times "China" appears in the document (1, We face systemic competition from those, including the People’s Republic of China, who challenge our interests, security, and values and seek to undermine the rules-based international order.).

That's definitely not "labelling China as the biggest threat". I wonder who twisted it that way and why.

Also, conflating Russian agression with Chinese behavior is... pretty misleading. One has started an open, brutal, WWII-like war by attacking another country. The other makes various worrying moves but literally nothing of this kind. NATO summit documents make the distinction clear. I wish Sky News did as well.

Generally, the summit is interesting and historic - Sweden and Finland got accepted, rapid reaction forces in Europe are to be increased from 40,000 to 300,000 and permanent headquarters of US Army 5th Corps will be established in Poland.
I guess Putin did not have these among his goals when attacking Ukraine.
Lords Farquad and Pooh Bear are both cancerous cells that ought to be dealt with sooner or later, but it is true that Pooh Bear is playing the long game while his shorter affiliate doesn't have that kind of patience. In any case, I agree that Russia is the more immediate threat.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 8:34 pm

Antagonizing the other two world superpowers at the same time for no benefit doesn't strike me as very smart.

"Please team up against us, since we're going to treat you like enemies regardless."

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 2:33 am

Quote:
NATO accuses China of expanding its nuclear arsenal in secret
June 30, 2022 - 4:21PM

NATO has accused China of rapidly expanding its nuclear arsenal in secret.

Russia has brutality dominated NATO talks, but Beijing soon featured as the military alliance laid out its security strategy for the next decade.

“What they should do is give up their Cold War mindset … and stop doing things that create enemies,” China’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian said.

“Stop trying to mess up Asia and the world after messing up Europe.”

https://www.skynews.com.au/world-news/g ... 9f261377cd

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 2:36 am

Quote:
NATO declares China a security threat

The 30-member alliance warns China’s ambitions and coercive behaviour ‘challenge our interests, security and values’.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/subscr ... our=append

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 2:45 am

Quote:
Nato leaders voice concern about threat China poses to world order for first time

Beijing’s efforts to build up nuclear forces, hacking operations and increasingly close ties to Moscow are ‘serious challenges’, says Nato secretary general

While Russia’s war against Ukraine has dominated discussions at the Nato summit, China earned a place among the western alliance’s most worrying security concerns.

“We now face an era of strategic competition … China is substantially building up its forces, including in nuclear weapons, bullying its neighbours, including Taiwan,” Stoltenberg said. “China is not our adversary but we must be clear-eyed about the serious challenges it represents.”

The alliance’s last blueprint – or strategic concept – was agreed to in 2010 and did not mention China. The new one states that China’s policies challenge Nato’s interests, security and values, though Russia remains the most significant and direct threat to security.

“The PRC’s [People’s Republic of China] malicious hybrid and cyber operations and its confrontational rhetoric and disinformation target allies and harm alliance security,” the strategic concept reads, noting a deepening partnership with Russia in their shared attempts to “subvert the rules-based international order, including in the space, cyber and maritime domains”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... first-time

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 2:56 am

Quote:
NATO, which includes the US, UK, Canada and most of Europe, warned the Chinese government was “rapidly expanding” its nuclear capability without increasing transparency or engaging in good faith in arms control.

China’s stated ambitions and coercive policies “challenge our interests, security and values,” NATO said.

“The PRC employs a broad range of political, economic and military tools to increase its global footprint and project power, while remaining opaque about its strategy, intentions and military build-up,” it added.

NATO also accused China of using its economic leverage to “create strategic dependencies and enhance its influence”.

“It strives to subvert the rules-based international order, including in the space, cyber and maritime domains,” it said.

“The deepening strategic partnership between the People’s Republic of China and the Russian Federation and their mutually reinforcing attempts to undercut the rules-based international order run counter to our values and interests.”

https://7news.com.au/politics/nato-labe ... -c-7349712

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 3:02 am

Quote:
China attacks Australia after NATO talks
1 hours ago

Acting Prime Minister Richard Marles has told Sky News Australia the new government will make no concession to fix the rocky relationship with China.

It comes as Beijing turns up the heat, calling Anthony Albanese ill-informed and ignorant.

Sky News Political Reporter Trudy McIntosh explains what raised the ire of Beijing.

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-ne ... 3f20203239

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 3:04 am

Quote:
China lashes ‘ignorant and ill-informed’ Albanese
8 hours ago

China has been closely watching the developments in Europe at the NATO summit, says Sky News Reporter Trudy McIntosh.

Ms McIntosh said China’s state-owned news outlet China Daily criticised Mr Albanese’s comments on China’s stance on the Ukraine crisis as “ill-informed”.

“Beijing has long bristled at the suggestion that there is any connection between Russia’s ongoing invasion and China’s potential intentions when it comes to invading Taiwan,” she told Sky News Australia.

“The language from Beijing’s side continues to heat up.”

https://www.skynews.com.au/world-news/c ... rallPos=10

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 3:10 am

Quote:
‘Ignorant and ill-formed’: China slams Prime Minister Anthony Albanese for likening Russia’s invasion of Ukraine with Taiwan

Beijing has blasted Prime Minister Anthony Albanese after he said China should learn from Russia’s strategic failure in Ukraine, particularly in its ambitions for Taiwan.
Miriah DavisDigital Reporter
2 min readJune 30, 2022

Chinese state media has slammed Anthony Albanese for likening Russia’s invasion of Ukraine with Taiwan and backing NATO's suspicions the country is colluding with Moscow.

In a scathing editorial published on Wednesday, Beijing mouthpiece China Daily called the Prime Minister “ill-informed” and “ignorant”, accusing Mr Albanese of letting NATO “fill his head with nonsense”.

The piece referenced an article from The Australian Financial Review, where Mr Albanese said China should learn from Russia’s strategic failure in Ukraine, particularly in its ambitions for Taiwan.

Mr Albanese, who was en route to Spain for the NATO summit, said the war “had shown attempts to impose change by force on a sovereign country meets resistance.”

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-ne ... e6357745e1

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2022, 6:07 am

https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=406466&p=9072033#p9071852

me wrote:
It's June 30th. In a week, it seems that no professional Western international political analysts have noticed this...or pretend not to notice.
This inference is much more reliable than the "possible invasion of Taiwan in the near future".
If I send an email to the BBC or other media stating that Xi has prevented a "special military operation", will it be reported? I decided not to waste my time writing this email. :wink:

Russia supports the friction between North Korea/India and China. Moreover, they have never been kind to China in terms of public opinion guidance and information sharing.
The only reason China needs to align with it is the common fear of invasion.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2022, 6:23 am

Tross wrote:
Lords Farquad and Pooh Bear are both cancerous cells that ought to be dealt with sooner or later, but it is true that Pooh Bear is playing the long game while his shorter affiliate doesn't have that kind of patience. In any case, I agree that Russia is the more immediate threat.

What kind of cancer cells?
Really aggressive and harmful...or want to develop oneself in an "uncontrolled" way?

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2022, 7:16 am

Whatever the path forward, it must be based on the fact that Russia and China are a combined threat. And I suspect they are working together and have been for many decades. It is in their genes.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2022, 9:55 am

Russia and China have a love-hate relationship with each other. They might be described as frenemies.