Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Shadowcat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Aug 2007, 1:15 pm

That kids with learning disabilities in public schools come from middle class and lower middle class backgrounds?

Where are all of the kids who have disabilities, who come from upper middle class and upper class backgrounds?

I went to a public school and the majority of kids who were in remedial classes and even in special ed were from the lower classes. Rather than the upper classes that made up most of the student body.

Jainaday
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 1:23 pm

Upper classes do get more friendly diagnoses- but also, private tutors and whatnot so they don't stand out as much.

Or, that's my guess.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

06 Aug 2007, 1:23 pm

Well there is a much smaller percent of the population that is rich. So even if the rates of developmental conditions is the same across all socioeconomic groups it would be say 20 times less likely to see rich person with those problems in a combined pool of kids. So if 10% of kids in a large 500 student class have learning problems. The works out to maybe 50/20 = 2-3 rich kids with learning problems.

kittenfluffies
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 1:39 pm

Upper class children with learning disabilities/autism spectrum disorders either go to private school or are home schooled. I went to private school all my life. I wasn't diagnosed until recently, but I did have tutors and was in special classes for my dyscalculia.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 2:32 pm

Btw, I always used to hear that children and teens coming from pathological or simply poor, uneducated families usually do everything to get good grades because they realize that good university and in result good, well paid job is practically one way to change their life. According to that popular belief they are not spoilt like their peers from more privileged families but it was in my elementary school when I found out it rarely had something in common with reality.

I used to be in one class with two girls whose families were poor and consisted of about 8, 9 children. Both of them were VERY poor students what was caused not only by low intelligence but simply also by lack of interest in acquiring any knowledge. Also their numerous brothers and sisters were like them. One of those girls joined us when she was forced to repeat the third grade and even then she had to stay in the third grade one more time (btw, this terrible girl stole my mother's money when once she visited us to play with me) :? . The second girl was also one year older than the rest of us because she didn't get promotion to the second class 8O and as it turned out couple years later she had to repeat also the last grade (in that time an elementary school here consisted of 8 grades, now of 6 ones), mostly because of her inclination for playing truant. Their only interest and life aim was good fun, nothing more.

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 2:40 pm

Blue blood and parents with good digestion I reckon thats the reason.
Joking aside they do say women with low levels of beneficial bacteria, poor digestion transfer more toxins to the baby thus creating a hotbed for neuro developmental difficulties. Maybe aristocratic women have great bellies.

Spot17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2007, 2:59 pm

The upper middle class and upper class kids go to small private schools. I went to private schools - they're chalked full of kids with issues.

QL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Aug 2007, 5:07 pm

Yea, pretty much as said. Most upper class kids don't go to public school especially ones with special needs. My family does not have much money but if we did I wouldn't go to public school. The schools in my city are notoriously bad and it's one of the worst systems in the country. I requested that they let me go to a this one private school out of the system if they paid for it but they flat refused. Most of the students there get their tuition paid by the school system they're from but mine won't.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Aug 2007, 5:10 pm

I lived in a relativly wealthy neghboorhood, upper-middle class, and was the only person in my special ed to come from such a backround, the rest came from poorer familes, my problems were not my fault, but theirs may have been the result of a bad household, no parental supervision or involvement, ect...

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 5:35 pm

Gee, my step brother is MR, and HE came from, economically, an upper class family. I could say LOTS more, but you're WRONG if you are imploying the poor and rch are so much healthier.

Last edited by 2ukenkerl on 12 Aug 2007, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jennyfoo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2007, 7:06 pm

I'm from a mid-upper-class family. My brothers were both in Special Ed and also had private tutoring. I knew a lot of kids from mid-upper class families who had learning disabilites, etc. My experience with this is that pooreer families are more willing to take advantage of programs offered through the schools while upper class folk tend to want to seek private help since they can afford it.