I've realized talking about ASD at work is not a good idea

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jun 2022, 3:40 pm

First off, I have 3 non speaking ASD kids at the moment. I am ASD but have told no one at work. Some of these coworkers I have known for years and never talked about anything remotely personal.

I decided to test the waters about ASD opinions by telling a few coworkers about my kids. Result? I now know that many of my coworkers believe the vaccine crap about autism.

Its depressing me, and makes me think I should remain quiet about anything remotely personal.

I think if you disclose at work that you are ASD, it makes people think you are setting up the stage to make excuses for poor performance. Really all I would hypothetically want is the ability to dim the lights over my cubicle.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 3:50 pm

That's gotta be frustrating. :(

My experiences have lead me to have the attitude that if there's one thing the average neurotypical loves, it is to take one scrap of one fragment of of one bite/byte of information and employ it as a foundation for passing negative judgement on a thing or a person.

Speaking of testing the waters, might there be a way to test the waters on the lights via simply remarking that it would be nice to have the option to turn them down a bit, without mentioning autism?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 8:40 am

I agree. It’s not a good idea to “disclose” at work.

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jul 2022, 11:21 am

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
That's gotta be frustrating. :(

Speaking of testing the waters, might there be a way to test the waters on the lights via simply remarking that it would be nice to have the option to turn them down a bit, without mentioning autism?

The way the lights work theyd have to physically remove a whole fixture. Someone requested that in the past and they just moved where they sat.