I feel so drained when talking with a group of people

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Vasco
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jul 2022, 4:52 am

Today, I mean yesterday since it's midnight,
I talked with some of my peers after my swimming class, and few people talked non-stop.
When the topic came to be about marching band, they did not let me speak about my experiences in marching band, nor did they ask what instrument I play.
I patiently waited for the current person to finish, and another person immediately interrupted me.
I prefer not to talk in groups of people. It's overwhelming.
I much prefer a structured virtual environment on Zoom, where people raise hands and use the chat instead of talking over each other trying to inflate their egos.

KellyN
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Jul 2022, 4:48 pm

I miss the elementary school days when we had to raise our hands before we could speak. I feel like I talked much more in my childhood than I do now because I always knew the answers to the questions then, and now the only 'questions' I get now are about my life. Whenever I am talking in a group of people, I never know when I should or shouldn't speak. I feel like I am doing a side game of Tetris in my mind just trying to figure it out. After working my brain so hard, I also feel so very drained after talking with a group of people.
-Kelly

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 4:46 pm

I don't like Zoom (prefer text-based chat). But, as far as in-person meetings are concerned, I much prefer a structured, focused conversation over random chit chat. It is very difficult for me to follow random chit chat in an in-person group of people.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 11:59 am

Vasco wrote:
Today, I mean yesterday since it's midnight,
I talked with some of my peers after my swimming class, and few people talked non-stop.
When the topic came to be about marching band, they did not let me speak about my experiences in marching band, nor did they ask what instrument I play.
I patiently waited for the current person to finish, and another person immediately interrupted me.
I prefer not to talk in groups of people. It's overwhelming.
I much prefer a structured virtual environment on Zoom, where people raise hands and use the chat instead of talking over each other trying to inflate their egos.

Regarding the person who interrupted you, I am sure it was not in purpose. Rather, they probably didn't pay attention to you talking and probably waited to speak too. However, you may want to interrupt back.

" Can I interrupt? I was looking at getting a word in edgewise