Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 8:23 pm

New York Times

Quote:
Republicans are bracing for Donald J. Trump to announce an unusually early bid for the White House, a move designed in part to shield the former president from a stream of damaging revelations emerging from investigations into his attempts to cling to power after losing the 2020 election.

While many Republicans would welcome Mr. Trump’s entry into the race, his move would also exacerbate persistent divisions over whether the former president is the party’s best hope to win back the White House. The party is also divided over whether his candidacy would be an unnecessary distraction from midterm elections or even a direct threat to democracy.

Mr. Trump has long hinted at a third consecutive White House bid and has campaigned for much of the past year. He has accelerated his planning in recent weeks just as a pair of investigations have intensified and congressional testimony has revealed new details about Mr. Trump’s indifference to the threat of violence on Jan. 6 and his refusal to act to stop an insurrection.

Mr. Trump has also watched as some of his preferred candidates have lost recent primary elections, raising hopes among his potential Republican competitors that voters may be drifting from a politician long thought to have an iron grip on the party.

Rather than humble Mr. Trump, the developments have emboldened him to try to reassert himself as the head of the party, eclipse damaging headlines and steal attention from potential rivals, including Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida, a rising favorite of donors and voters. Republicans close to Mr. Trump have said he believes a formal announcement would bolster his claims that the investigations are politically motivated.

Mr. Trump would enter the race as the clear front-runner, with an approval rating among Republicans around 80 percent, but there are signs that a growing number of the party’s voters are exploring other options.

The timing of a formal announcement from Mr. Trump remains uncertain. But he recently surprised some advisers by saying he might declare his candidacy on social media without warning even his own team, and aides are scrambling to build out basic campaign infrastructure in time for an announcement as early as this month.

That timing would be extraordinary — presidential candidates typically announce their candidacies in the year before the election — and could have immediate implications for Republicans seeking to take control of Congress in November. Mr. Trump’s presence as an active candidate would make it easier for Democrats to turn midterm races into a referendum on the former president, who since losing in 2020 has relentlessly spread lies about the legitimacy of the election. Some Republicans fear that would distract from pocketbook issues that have given their party a strong advantage in congressional races.

“Republicans want to win badly in 2022, and it is dawning on many of them that relitigating the 2020 election with Trump’s daily conspiracy diatribes are sure losers,” said Dick Wadhams, a Republican strategist and former chairman of the Colorado Republican Party.

The former president’s team remains divided over whether he should even run again. Those opposed to a third White House bid have expressed concerns ranging from doubts about Mr. Trump’s remaining political potency to questions about whether he can articulate a clear rationale for running and avoid a repeat of 2020.

Others are urging Mr. Trump to take his time. Donald Trump Jr., his eldest son, has taken a more central role in Mr. Trump’s inner circle of political advisers and has told others that he wants his father to install a more expansive campaign team around him in preparation for a run.

One of the most compelling arguments against an early announcement had been federal campaign finance laws. If and when Mr. Trump announces, he would be ineligible to use any of the $100 million that he has parked in his political action committee to directly support his presidential run. His campaign would also be constrained by a strict $2,900-per-person donation cap for the primaries, meaning he could tap his largest donors only once over the next period of roughly two years to directly fund a candidacy.

But Mr. Trump’s command over small-dollar donors has remained strong, leaving some on his team unconcerned about the fund-raising limits.

Ronna McDaniel, the chairwoman of the Republican National Committee, had urged Mr. Trump to wait until after the midterms, worried that news about his campaign could derail the party’s midterm messaging. One R.N.C. official noted that when Mr. Trump opened a campaign, the party would stop paying his legal bills related to an investigation by the New York attorney general. Still, Ms. McDaniel has recently resigned herself to the idea that he will announce before the elections, according to people familiar with the conversations.

But even Trump aides who are supportive of another campaign worry that the former president’s path to a third nomination has become more difficult than he’s willing to acknowledge.

Some close to Mr. Trump have grown concerned about potential legal and political consequences from the congressional hearings into the Capitol riot.

Few Republican officeholders have spoken publicly about the hearings, and most have either said nothing about the congressional investigation or dismissed it as a partisan sham. But there have been signs that Republicans recognize its potential power.

“Ms. Hutchinson would be the star member of a women’s Republican club — a committed conservative, no reason to say anything but the truth,” said Senator Bill Cassidy of Louisiana, who voted to convict in Mr. Trump’s second impeachment and has been a target of Mr. Trump’s since.

Mick Mulvaney, one of Mr. Trump’s four White House chiefs of staff, told CBS News he could no longer defend Mr. Trump after hearing Ms. Hutchison’s claims. In an interview afterward, he said he heard from two dozen political appointees from the Trump administration who had thanked him for his comments and told him they agreed.

Mr. Mulvaney declined to say whether he would vote for Mr. Trump if he was the nominee in 2024.

The past two months of weekly primary contests have proved that Mr. Trump’s policies have reshaped the Republican Party. But the red-capped constituency has also repeatedly demonstrated its independence from the patriarch of the Make America Great Again movement. While Republican primary voters backed some of Mr. Trump’s favored candidates, particularly in Senate primaries, they rejected his picks in Georgia, Idaho, Nebraska and elsewhere.

“There’s some evidence that some Republican voters are trying to slow-walk from Donald Trump,” said Scott Jennings, a Republican strategist. Jennings said he was not surprised by Mr. Trump’s eagerness to jump into the presidential race. “If you’re in his shoes, you have to try to put that fire out. Because the more it burns, the more it burns.”

Post-presidency polls have consistently shown that Mr. Trump remains the most powerful figure inside his party. But potential competitors have not been scared off.

Last week, a survey of Republicans in New Hampshire, an early presidential primary state, showed a statistical tie between Mr. Trump and Mr. DeSantis.

Former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who told Mr. Trump last year that he wouldn’t compete against him for the presidential nomination, has continued to lay the groundwork for a 2024 bid.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2022, 12:45 am

I wish he would never run again.I aint voting for him in the primaries.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 1:02 pm

Would an announcement in any way protect him from being indicted?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 1:16 pm

goldfish21 wrote:

No

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 1:39 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

No

:heart: :heart: :heart:

I heard something in a news clip a few mins ago about the DOJ not pressing charges within 60 or 90 days of primaries.. is this a thing ? More of a tradition than a firm hard rule/law ? Curious if they delay too long if they're not Allowed to indict him within a certain time frame before certain election events ? Or is it just something they try to avoid to avoid the appearance of partisanship leading up to an election ? If it's not against any laws, he should be indicted When the time is right to do it - when the DOJ has the evidence they require to make charges stick. IMO.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 10:16 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

No

:heart: :heart: :heart:

I heard something in a news clip a few mins ago about the DOJ not pressing charges within 60 or 90 days of primaries.. is this a thing ? More of a tradition than a firm hard rule/law ? Curious if they delay too long if they're not Allowed to indict him within a certain time frame before certain election events ? Or is it just something they try to avoid to avoid the appearance of partisanship leading up to an election ? If it's not against any laws, he should be indicted When the time is right to do it - when the DOJ has the evidence they require to make charges stick. IMO.

Avoiding the appearance of partinship.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 10:49 pm

Meanwhile Liz Cheney has said that of trump Doesn’t get charged that the DOJ would appear partisan in favour of trump..

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 2:53 pm

“The Twenty-second Amendment clearly states, ‘No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice,’ ” Davis Logsdon, a professor of constitutional law at the University of Minnesota, said. “Since Trump claims that he was elected for a second time in 2020, he has eliminated himself from any future White House bid.”

It puts Trump in a tricky position - He will either have to admit he lied about being elected or admit he is ineligible for a 2024 bid at the presidency.

Last edited by DanielW on 19 Jul 2022, 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 2:55 pm

DanielW wrote:
“The Twenty-second Amendment clearly states, ‘No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice,’ ” Davis Logsdon, a professor of constitutional law at the University of Minnesota, said. “Since Trump claims that he was elected for a second time in 2020, he has eliminated himself from any future White House bid.”

Excellent point!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 8:48 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
DanielW wrote:

Excellent point!

Funny but it is not what Trump thinks but since he was not actually elected twice. :(

Diverse4Me
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Sep 2022, 2:37 am

DanielW wrote:
It puts Trump in a tricky position - He will either have to admit he lied about being elected or admit he is ineligible for a 2024 bid at the presidency.

Except he has repeatedly lied about different things anyhow... actually hasn't he broken records for the number of lies he has told! And got other people to tell for him. ugh

ASD2, ADHD, Anxiety, Depression etc

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 2:53 am

I have always assumed he would not run for it again, and all the rallying he does is just a grift. Wouldn't be surprised if he announced he was running just to up the grift, then pulled out before it got too serious

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 6:25 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

No

I imagine Trump may have convinced himself otherwise. Possibly the sycophants he surrounds himself with have led him to believe it, as it's what the Dear Leader wants to hear.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2022, 1:12 pm

I've been good and I want DeSantis.