Families sue Ohio school board over critical race theory ban

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 9:16 pm

CNN

Quote:
Four families are suing an Ohio school board to challenge a ban on race-based education and staff training in the latest court battle over attempts to suppress anti-racism education in American classrooms.

The Forest Hills School District Board of Education, east of Cincinnati, passed a resolution in June prohibiting teaching of critical race theory, anti-racism, identity and intersectionality to promote what it calls a "culture of kindness."

The complaint, filed in Ohio District Court Wednesday, alleges that the resolution exposes racial prejudice within the school system and censors the perspectives of marginalized communities. Six minors and seven adults are listed as plaintiffs, which include current students and their parents -- one of whom is a teacher in the school district.

"It most certainly is not about a 'culture of kindness,' but rather promotes hatred, racism and discrimination on the basis of race, identity and gender, and silences voices in opposition to racism and discrimination, further endangering and diminishing already disenfranchised and vulnerable voices within the school district," the complaint reads.

Judge Michael Barrett of the District Court scheduled a hearing next week to consider a motion for a temporary restraining order filed Friday.

The plaintiffs argue that an enforced resolution would strip students and teachers of their First Amendment rights to free speech and information, especially disadvantaging students of color and those who identify as LGBTQ+. The complaint also states the ban would violate their Fourteenth Amendment right to due process, marked by the "vagueness" of the guidelines.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman