Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2022, 4:14 am

What is even going on, like freaking hell just like that I have less rights than women the past two decades had. How am I supposed to deal with that. For now I try to balance my feeling pissed off and hopeless about this with also still trying to find moments of happiness and still enjoy me and my boyfriends time together...because you go insane if you focus on the bad too much and can't find a way to balanc it

But yeah, feels like I took crazy pills or something and it just wont wear off with the way things are going in my country and the world. I don't think it stops though, like it probably only gets worse from here so should probably be prepared for that and hold on for the ride. Idk hard to think of the future when the future might just look like a baren waste land from various post apocalyptic movies.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2022, 4:36 am

I mean how long now before my vote is denied because of the body part between my legs that doesn't happen to be a penis.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2022, 7:10 am

I don't envy the women of the USA right now. It must be absolutely horrible, terrifying and frustrating for you.

I'm really sorry that this has happened to you all.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2022, 8:20 am

More than half of the judges and lawyers where I work are women. More than half the college students are women.

This abortion thing sucks all around—but the situation, in general, is not hopeless for women in the United States.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 12:44 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
More than half of the judges and lawyers where I work are women. More than half the college students are women.

This abortion thing sucks all around—but the situation, in general, is not hopeless for women in the United States.

Thanks for saying that, you're right it is not totally hopeless, and I don't want to give into despair...just hard not to sometimes.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 12:50 am

babybird wrote:
I don't envy the women of the USA right now. It must be absolutely horrible, terrifying and frustrating for you.

I'm really sorry that this has happened to you all.

From what I hear the U.S decision could embolden other countries to crack down on abortion access. So I appreciate that but also worried about women outside my state and the rest of the world who could be effected by abortion bans. I just hate to think here I am in a state with garanteed abortion rights drinking a beer at the same time a poor mother to be in a red wing state is getting denied a life saving abortion and left to die. In some states they already won't allow an abortion till the pregnant woman is literally dying. Wheras before maybe they could get one before reaching critical condition. Already, because of the supreme court women are dying unnecessary deaths. Hard to enjoy myself thinking about that.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 1:06 am

Can sympathize with Sweetleafs sentiments in this thread . :(

where ever you go ,there you are

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 1:44 am

The following is a bit much ... I'm not the world's biggest fan of abortion, but ... come on people ... SERIOUSLY???

Note that bit, "Debora Diniz, an anthropologist at the University of Brasilia who studies abortion rights. “And the most vulnerable people, the most fragile, are the most impacted.”"

And note that it is in other countries too.

'She's 10': Child Rape Victim's Abortion Denial Sparks Outrage on Twitter
By Andrew Stanton On 7/2/22 at 12:36 PM EDT
:arrow: https://www.newsweek.com/shes-10-child- ... er-1721248
"
A 10-year-old rape victim in Ohio was denied an abortion, sparking outrage online as many Republican-led states strip away reproductive rights following the Supreme Court's overruling of Roe v. Wade.

Dr. Caitlin Bernard, an obstetrician-gynecologist in Indianapolis, received a call last Monday, three days after the Court's ruling, from a child abuse doctor in Ohio who had a 10-year-old girl in their office who was six weeks and three days pregnant, and therefore ineligible to receive an abortion in the state, according to a report from The Indianapolis Star.
"

A 10-year-old rape victim sought an abortion. A judge urged: Stay pregnant.
By Marina Lopes
July 2, 2022 at 6:00 a.m. EDT
:arrow: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... -abortion/
"
The 10-year-old rape victim was pregnant, and asking a court to authorize an abortion.

She found herself sitting under a crucifix in the courtroom in southern Brazil, across from a judge and prosecutor who repeatedly urged her to continue the pregnancy.

Could the girl stand to be pregnant “a little while longer?” Brazilian Judge Joana Ribeiro Zimmer asked. Did she “want to name the baby?”

When those entreaties failed, the prosecutor jumped in. Would the girl consider adoption “instead of letting him die — because it is already a baby, a child — instead of letting him die in agony?”

Ribeiro Zimmer ordered the girl taken from her family — to protect the fetus, she said.

Leaked video of the hearing, published in June by the Intercept Brazil, has shaken Latin America’s largest country, which maintains tight restrictions on abortion.

The procedure is legal in Brazil only in cases of rape, incest or severe fetal abnormality. But advocates for abortion rights say the case of the 10-year-old shows how even women with a permissible reason face resistance from hospital policies, red tape and an often hostile judiciary.

“What we see in Brazil and in other countries in Latin America where abortion is criminalized, on top of the law, there are barriers created that make it harder to access care,” said Debora Diniz, an anthropologist at the University of Brasilia who studies abortion rights. “And the most vulnerable people, the most fragile, are the most impacted.”
"

Mississippi House Speaker says 12-year-old incest victims should continue pregnancies to term
by Maureen Breslin - 06/29/22 5:30 PM ET
:arrow: https://thehill.com/policy/3541783-miss ... s-to-term/
"
Mississippi House Speaker Philip Gunn (R) told reporters Wednesday it is his “personal belief” that if a 12-year-old girl is a victim of incest she should still be made to carry a resulting pregnancy to term.

“I believe that life begins at conception and every life is valuable. Those are my personal beliefs,” Gunn said.

A reporter then asked, “So that 12-year-old child molested by her father or uncle should carry that child to term?” to which Gunn replied, “That is my personal belief.”

A challenge to a Mississippi law banning abortion after 15 weeks of pregnancy made its way to the Supreme Court, where it was upheld in a decision that overturned the landmark Roe v. Wade ruling that guaranteed the right to abortion.

A separate state law passed in 2007 bans abortions outright if Roe were overturned, with exceptions for rape and instances when the mothers life is at risk. The 15-week law does not include a rape exception, and neither law makes exceptions for incest.
"

Last edited by kitesandtrainsandcats on 03 Jul 2022, 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 1:49 am

Consider this part 2 of my previous post,

She was only 10 years old, but she was pregnant; I can’t forget her
By Maryanne McDonnell
Special to Hartford Courant
Jun 05, 2019 at 6:00 am
:arrow: https://www.courant.com/opinion/op-ed/h ... story.html
"
I was in my second year of ob-gyn residency, working on the labor floor at an inner-city hospital. I loved working there; I went into obstetrics because I loved delivering babies and sharing my patients’ joy during this special time.

There was no joy in this case.

Every 92 seconds, an American is sexually assaulted. And every nine minutes, an American child is sexually assaulted. The 10-year-old girl who I met that day was one of those children. She had been sexually assaulted by someone in her family.

As in the case of most sexual assault victims — especially young ones — she did not report the abuse. She was only 10 and didn’t have regular periods yet, so the pregnancy went undiagnosed until she was well into her third trimester.

We all tried to do the best we could for her. She was removed from proximity of her abuser, had counseling and family support. We discussed risks and benefits of primary cesarean delivery versus the trial of labor. Ultimately, we decided that trial of labor with early epidural would be the best option.

I took care of her in labor. She never said a word, just looked at everyone with her vacant stare.

Everything that was planned seemed to go wrong. Her epidural never worked. Her labor failed to progress, and we ended up needing to do a cesarean delivery anyway. We couldn’t even get good anesthetic control during the cesarean.

There was no joy in the delivery room. The baby was healthy. The child who gave birth was not. She had first been traumatized by the sexual assault that caused the pregnancy, and then, despite our best efforts, she was retraumatized by giving birth at a time in her life when she was neither physically nor mentally ready for it.

I don’t know what happened to that little girl after she left the hospital.
"

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 1:51 am

Uhh..I wish I was a cat, then I would not have to deal with any of this crap. I could just be a good kitty and get pets without worrying about the state of the world and bathe in the sunlight.....but I am not a cat.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 2:32 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Uhh..I wish I was a cat, then I would not have to deal with any of this crap. I could just be a good kitty and get pets without worrying about the state of the world and bathe in the sunlight.....but I am not a cat.

Different things in life are the foundation, but, yes, I do get that.

It is rough when you have fears and concerns about a thing and how it will affect people and life turns out to have already validated those fears and concerns.

And as it happens, Georgie cat just slid in between me and the keyboard.
He says hello.
Or at least I'm pretty sure he would say hello if he realized the internet is a thing and it has real live actual people at its other ends.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 8:45 am

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Different things in life are the foundation, but, yes, I do get that.

It is rough when you have fears and concerns about a thing and how it will affect people and life turns out to have already validated those fears and concerns.

And as it happens, Georgie cat just slid in between me and the keyboard.
He says hello.
Or at least I'm pretty sure he would say hello if he realized the internet is a thing and it has real live actual people at its other ends.

Please tell kitty hello from this peep inside your computer screen. Give her a pet. On my behalf please. :D

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 6:59 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
What is even going on, like freaking hell just like that I have less rights than women the past two decades had. How am I supposed to deal with that.

I would suggest getting involved in abortion rights activism. Hopefully some relevant groups are forming, or getting more active, in your state.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2022, 12:22 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

Yes, it sucks and seriously does not bode well for the Quality of life for women in the US.
But am pretty sure , someone will say or think….It could be much Worse ? But it wasn’t before and these things were indicators of the growth of humanity in this country . 8O

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 12:43 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
What is even going on, like freaking hell just like that I have less rights than women the past two decades had. How am I supposed to deal with that.

I would suggest getting involved in abortion rights activism. Hopefully some relevant groups are forming, or getting more active, in your state.

I mean I'd like to find a way to do something but all I can figure right now is donate here and there to planned parenthood, not a big contribution either just from time to time I send them 20 bucks, I have low income so can't afford to do much more.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 12:52 am

One of the primary frustrations as an outsider is watching the party that's "supposed to care about these issues" eternally fails to do anything when they held enough power to have done something substantial and permanent.

When they hold both houses and the presidency they're like an ineffective opposition party in terms of what the get done. Expecting Dems to do anything useful is less realistic than building a time machine, going back to before the ruling was made and sniping the judges with a shotgun filled with airsoft pellets from three miles away (and then getting away with it without any consequences whatsoever).

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う