Am I missing out by not seeing far-away live events ?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2022, 7:26 am

The thing is the bands and artists I listen to are not really the ones that will be headlining in my area or in places that will be easy to make a journey to. They have always been on tour in the cities and other places far away from where I live and not able to make the journey and didn't want to rely on people to take me there even though I didn't drive and only started driving my own car at 28.

I went to Hyde Park to see Pearl Jam play in 2010. I haven't been back there since because I haven't seen others I'd like to go see play there. Concerts like Donnington, Reading and Leeds look good but the seem like a hassle to get to as I didn't drive and even now with a car I still will choose not to go up there because I'm worried I'd get lost and have never been and driven up to Leceistershire, Berkshire and Yorkshire and won't rely on other people like parents to get me there.

I tried a nightclub once when I saw my stepmum's nephew playing in a band there and I walked out and spent the performance outside because I didn't like the flashing lights even though I'm not epileptic. I even went round some pubs with a couple of school friends and my sister and after a while just stood around talking and got bored after a while. I suppose those are things I've tried and won't do them again.

I seem to think I try to compare myself to others because they are doing things that people in their 20s and 30s are expected to do and I get frustrated with myself because unlike them I haven't found a partner, gone to the latest live event or to a bar or somewhere where other people of those ages congregate. I have few friends and they are not going-out-types and so that's one of the reasons why I end up not bothering to go out on my own on a weekend evening because of social awkwardness.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2022, 8:11 am

I used to think I was missing out by not going to nightclubs often enough but when I went I found them very anti-climactic. Live music events are somewhat fast paced and might not be as fun in reality for an autisitc as they would initially think.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2022, 11:38 am

Nades wrote:
Live music events are somewhat fast paced and might not be as fun in reality for an autisitc as they would initially think.

As well as that pace, an issue is things other than the music and musicians contributing to sensory overload.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2022, 11:59 am

I’m missing out by never having gone to Mongolia—oh well!

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2022, 4:31 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I’m missing out by never having gone to Mongolia—oh well!

Mongolia looks to have both great scenery and great trains, https://www.railpictures.net/photo/780152/

And at least one motorcycle group, https://www.railpictures.net/photo/589007/

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 5:39 am

It does have great mountain and steppe scenery.

You can sleep in a ger (yurt) as a tourist. And have mutton and noodles.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 12:37 am

I'm confused. You live in the UK.. it's a very small place and nothing is far away. Why not just drive to the concerts you want to see, don't get drunk, and drive home afterwards? :?

google wrote:
At its widest the United Kingdom is 300 miles (500 km) across. From the northern tip of Scotland to the southern coast of England, it is about 600 miles (1,000 km).

It's not too likely that you live on one tip and the concert is at the other 1,000 km away - but 1,000 km can be driven in a day, anyways. When I shift drove with a friend down to Las Vegas for a weekend keg party after a car show we covered 2,150 km in 21.5 hours on the way there and 19.6 hours on the way back. Something like only a few hundred km each direction is very easy to drive/motorcycle to an event & then make the return trip same day afterwards.

Why not just hop in your car and take the short road trip and see the concerts you want to see ? :? It's not like they're touring in South America or something - they're just a few hour drive/ride away.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 12:44 am

I've flown to other countries by myself for concerts (to meet people there).
I really like them, and it's something I'll splurge on.

If you don't like them enough to do the drive, then don't go.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 6:05 pm

What's the point of going to live events when some psychopath with a machine gun could turn them into dead events in a split second?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 6:06 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
What's the point of going to live events when some psychopath with a machine gun could turn them into dead events in a split second?

What's the point of living if you're not going to experience anything in that period between not existing and not existing?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 6:07 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:

I only do indoor shows.
They have metal detectors and cops / high-security at the doors.
Everyone gets frisked or leaves their bag.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 6:09 pm

Quote:
Am I missing out by not seeing far-away live events?

Absolutely, but life is constantly missing out on everything but what you choose to engage with so you need to decide if a certain experience is worth it enough to deal with the various costs (financial, mental, physical, etc) associated with pursuing it.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 6:21 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Quote:

Absolutely, but life is constantly missing out on everything but what you choose to engage with so you need to decide if a certain experience is worth it enough to deal with the various costs (financial, mental, physical, etc) associated with pursuing it.

I was thinking the same thing.
I've missed out on plane crashes, attending the stock market, and blind dates.
There's all sorts of things I haven't done, because I didn't want to.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 6:50 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Quote:

Beyond that, there's likely things each of us would have liked to do, but never were able to simply because time, energy, etc were invested elsewhere.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 10:52 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Quote:

Beyond that, there's likely things each of us would have liked to do, but never were able to simply because time, energy, etc were invested elsewhere.

Yep. There’s always an “opportunity cost,” to the things we do, especially when there are so many good options to choose from.. no matter what I pick I’m gonna miss out on all the other very good options. Summer be like that. ($, beach, motorcycle, kiteboard etc - hard to pick, always miss the others.)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2022, 8:16 am

Wow, you sound just like me. I like music, I listen to a lot of music, but I don't really like a particular band and I'd find bands playing at crowded festivals boring most probably. But at the same time I feel I'm missing out, because my cousin loves going to these music festivals and it seems to be what adults my age enjoy but I find them boring. I prefer exploring, hiking, doing physical activities, thrill seeking, stuff like that. Standing at a crowded festival outside listening to loud music around people that are drinking alcohol and smoking pot isn't really my idea of fun. But I wish I could live a life where I don't have to feel guilty for not liking things most other people like.