I am sorry for being pathologically afraid of police!

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2022, 11:39 am

I am sorry that I was too worried about this, I had Shared Delusional Disorder. Some people online told me BS about law enforcement officers. At first when the police officer talked to me a month ago, he asked me why I don't call 911 when I need help, and that I shouldn't be afraid to call 911 when I need help. I told him that it is, because I watched some videos of untrained police officers attacking mentally ill people and don't trust those types of police officers, and he told me that it's okay to be suspicious about some cops, but he also said that I need to learn how to trust people like him as he tried his best to help me.

He also explained to me that the way I interact with the police and they way they interact with me is going to be different than what most people say. I trusted him and listened to his advice, but due to my lack theory of mind, I didn't know whom to believe anymore, those people with more serious behavior issues than me, they told me that my school psychologist could have killed me, just because I have Bipolar Disorder. The most seriously disturbed people said that a lot of people with Bipolar Disorder get killed by police and that my school psychologist should have called EMS instead, because my life could have been in danger with the police. They told me BS about police officers and I stopped trusting the police officer and only trusted idiots on Facebook that don't even know me. But before I trusted those people on Facebook, I tried to explain to them that my interaction with police officers is not that bad and have much better social skills than them, but they didn't listen to me and scared me even more and I became more stressed out and had dissociative fugue for a little bit.

I also have Autism Spectrum Disorder.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2022, 11:56 am

Which country are you in?

dirteerascal1a4
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Jul 2022, 1:14 pm

If you live in the UK like me it will be a profressional police force.Don’t be fearful of them.99 percent of the officers I’ve met have been very understanding and compassionate towards me.Just be relaxed and courteous towards them and you will be fine.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2022, 1:28 pm

dirteerascal1a4 wrote:
If you live in the UK like me it will be a profressional police force.Don’t be fearful of them.99 percent of the officers I’ve met have been very understanding and compassionate towards me.Just be relaxed and courteous towards them and you will be fine.

I am in US.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2022, 1:28 pm

klanka wrote:
Which country are you in?

I live in USA.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2022, 3:01 pm

It seems like you are recovering from what you said so well done.

UK police are very well trained so the only people who seem to hate them are ones who were committing crimes...I suppose that is a generalization etc. : lol :

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 12:31 am

That makes sense.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 1:43 am

I don't think you should be sorry for that...just saying.

Idk I am not sorry about feeling that way about police. Sure I acknowledge sometimes you run into a good cop but just the way cops are even set up it is likely that good cop you talked to wont have a police career in a couple years. When I was growing up there was the one 'cool' cop who us kids knew we could kind of talk to and he was chill and somtimes even helped us. but yeah eventually he got fired and crap but like he was a great cop and its like that is why they fired him. But yeah idk he was being a good community cop and for kids he certainly was more lenient like if he caught them with weed he might have to confiscate it but like he wouldn't go further than that and try to get kids criminally charged for it.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 1:55 am

Am much more sorry to say this Franz , but your concerns about US police , maybe justified , thus far have found
That the Sheriff dept in San Bernardino, Calif are, what appears to me to be a criminal organization , all by itself .
And the S. B. Prosecutors office backs them up . Conspires with them . Next Kansas City Police dept are equally as bad . This is from first hand information regarding treatment of people that may have Mental .health issues .

Am very sorry to say this .. but myself nor my husband had or have police records . And have seen the dirtiest double dealing people in Law enforcement .. that , I could never have imagined. Am not writing this cause if sour grapes , but have documented and kept records . And tried to present them to higher ups in law enforcement even
Support organizations , And even tried to hire lawyers , and they do not see my cases as winning them any money.Seems general sentiment is Cover your A—. In the legal profession .
Unexpectedly when wrote a thoroughly documented letter to US inspector generals office, they did not reply directly to me. But instead closed down a court houses jurisdiction to handle felony cases. After the murder of my husband
Was handled at that Court house. A lawyer , I did have at the time, who was linked into their legal system,
Out of no where blamed me for this . And took immediate steps to get me to drop me as a client.That court not only tried the wrong person, but covered up lots of evidence. That I brought to their attn. And their own victims advocate
Office, ( one person) . But she was not corrupt. Suddenly she disappears .kept hunting and googling her , Turns up 3 yrs later with a charge of making terrorist threats,(after working in that office 18 yrs)
a plea deal to drop the case against her,( phoney) with a secret agreement to leave and shut up about things.Having to do with my husbands case. Person replacing her was corrupt though in my opinion.
Am not meaning to frighten but a healthy degree of caution and discretion. Needs to be used when dealing with any law enforcement . The prevailing attitude here seems to be US or them!.’ Us’being the common people,’them’are law the enforcement. (Usually a officers goal in convo ), will be to trick you into giving any info they can possibly use.
But in reality .. who else can you call for help .? 8O . :( .Best thing you might help you is upon any engagement with officers, Always ask to speak to their watch commander . It may just be enough to throw they off base alittle.
And keep a recording devise of some kind. Even phone calls. Hope to Gawd, you never ever go through the experiences I did .

where ever you go ,there you are

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 7:55 am

I'm with Sweetleaf. I can't figure out why you should be sorry.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 8:24 am

Thank makes sense.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 9:34 am

I did not behave "appropriately" as a young adult when questioned by police and was arrested. It was traumatic. To your point, I had not been instructed how to handle police questioning aside my flavor of ASD-ADHD (undiagnosed at the time). Likewise, they had not bee instructed how to handle ASD folks. At my most recent traffic stop twenty years later (undiagnosed), I cried hysterically (and thankfully was not arrested). More recently I was DX'd with ASD and now have awareness and tools to help me. I am taking steps to process the trauma and handle the police calmly and assertively. I went to a police community outreach (I still choke up and get nervous) --- the officer assured me they have better training now and invited me to visit the police station from time to time. I am doing EMDR on the original situation. I suggest ASD folks visit police stations to assess the culture of their local organization and bring awareness. Why wonder, find out.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 9:43 am

Some police are good. Some are not. It’s hard to tell at first glance, from the viewpoint of a person having contact with the police.

Police are over vigilant because of their training. They might not realize, at first, that compliance is almost universal in most areas. Unfortunately, this over vigilance has lead to unjustified arrests and even shootings.

From the police viewpoint, a potential defendant is assumed to be armed and dangerous until proven otherwise.

The training must improve.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 11:35 am

That makes sense.

Ihatemylife34
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jul 2022, 12:11 pm

For me, even before I heard stories of bad treatment of the mentally ill by some officers, I had what I considered a very illogical fear of the police. I've had good experiences and bad experiences with the police and I've been diagnosed with everything under the sun before we discovered I just have PTSD, ADHD and ASD. So, my advice is not to beat yourself up about it, and it is okay to call when you need help if you are comfortable with that. I think the main thing is establishing a good support group and remembering most people that don't have ASD don't understand people who have it, and vice versa.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 1:13 pm

Hey man, thanks!