Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Bepidrix
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Jul 2022, 7:34 pm

Like a lot of people. My autism is part of my identity.

Now my anxiety disorder, on the other hand... XD

DogOfJudah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Aug 2022, 1:31 pm

yes in a heartbeat, caused more problems than it's ever solved

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 1:37 pm

Sorry, I don't do 'Normal'.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 1:40 pm

Just like there's no cure for the Common Cold, there's no cure for autism.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 1:48 pm

I like being on the Spectrum and wouldn’t change it if I could.

PinkFloydMania
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Aug 2022, 6:27 pm

I'm constantly on the fence about this issue, but I also haven't fully learned to accept my autistic self. I also wonder where my personality ends and the autism begins, if there really is a distinction between the two.

Minuteman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Aug 2022, 7:12 pm

I'd love to be able to keep my positive traits (i.e. hyperfocus) while getting rid of my negative traits (i.e. social ineptness)

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 7:37 pm

My knee jerk reaction is to say no, I would not want a cure. I'm not sure how that would impact me as a person. There's a lot going on with me that I don't like and would rather not have to live with. I know autism makes my life a lot more difficult/problematic than the lives of others. I'm not some highly functional person here. But what would I be like after I was cured? Would I be a very different person? Would I have to relearn how to live life as that different person? Would I even like who I became? As uncomfortable as I can be in life, I'm fine with the person I am. I think that being okay with me is probably more important than being comfy in life. At least for me it is.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 2:43 pm

I was diagnosed with AS/HFA when I was 13 and have accepted it as part of my human essence.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 8:05 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
A cure right now, probably not. The transition would be horrific, my current life is very unsuited to an NT human and would take a lot of time and effort to change at this point, probably even having the skills and abilities I lack. The only thing that really benefits me about my ASD is the ability to live the sort of life I have (or rather, don’t have) because of it and actually greatly improve with isolation and such.

If I could have been born without autism, I wouldn’t hesitate even a moment to take the opportunity. Without it, I would not be the same person, but the thing is, I don’t like who I am. It would be nice to at least be able to function properly in this world (if that’s where I must exist), and the communication abilities I lack because of my autism would go a long way toward achieving that.

Actually, I probably would if I had a not-too-difficult means of integration into human NT society. But I don’t know how to do that on my own.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Peter A.
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Aug 2022, 4:29 am

There are times when I do (which is most of the time), but then there are times when I observe NT's in the wild, and I think, "Thank GOD I'm not one of those people!"

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 7:08 pm

Never in a million years.

MamaFrankie5259
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2022, 1:10 pm

No because if you can't or won't accept me as I am then you are not worth either my time or respect.

Carl Friedrich Gauss
Raven
Raven

19 Aug 2022, 8:57 am

There is a well known doctor (professor) in my country who has autism (Asperger) as well. He carries out experiments to understand autism and to find a cure.

He said that when we take a stem cell from a person with autism, stem cell also tries to bifurcation/branching like their neurons.

As far as I know, they all try to cure autism for unborn babies (fetuses). Since autism is not a kind of illness such as headache.

To me, my autism (Asperger syndrome) is not something I borned with or something like I am carrying with me like a bag for example.

It is something that makes me "me". All my ideas, feelings, senses, perceiving of the world, flaws, pains, sufferings, ... everything has something to do with it.

There is no cure. There will be no cure in this sense. I dont know who choose the name "Wrong Planet" but this has a point. If you feel the world in a different way, you would end up with being in a different planet.

And I believe, the things that are promoted as cure today can only make you (or children) a person who is not you (or them).

Because it is easier to change the individual than to change the society. But these are my thoughts. And I respect people who try to change their children, since they see lots of pain. But since I AM experiencing this condition, no NTs can have the right to say "you dont know what this illness causes".

I know.

I am living heaven and hell at the same time. I am living in hea-hell. But in the end, I love me. I would not want to be an NT.

delvian
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 10:05 am

I don't believe a "cure" is possible. Maybe there will one day be a way to prevent any autistic people from being born, but that's not "curing autism", that's just genocide via eugenics.

Would I choose to not be autistic if I could? Well, I've seen neurotypical people and honestly, I want no part in that lol. Most of the things I like about myself are because of my autism. Most of the things I like about the people in my life who I love are because of their autism. I might like to cast off some aspects of my ADHD and executive dysfunction so that I could have a bit more freedom and not have such a struggle to just live my life. In some ways I'd like to be more like some of the people I see as "more autistic" than myself, like to have the ability to read dozens of books a year rather one every few years :lol: or to have actually studied all the languages I wanted to study when I was a teenager and to have become a polyglot. I eventually managed to teach myself ONE foreign language after a whole lot of years trying super hard to function enough to do it, and I'm proud of that, don't get me wrong! But it would have been nice, you know? :lol:

In all seriousness though, it can be so hard to live in a neurotypical world as a neurodivergent person and I do understand the desire of some folk to not have to live with all the BS that's involved in that. I'd just rather make all the NTs autistic instead of the other way round. That sounds like a much nicer world to me than one without autistic people.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 12:16 pm

Would you need to use nitrate salts when curing autism, or would a traditional salt-only method work?
Also, is autism suitable for smoking or fermentation?

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う