A different subject I’d like to talk about

Page 5 of 19 [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 9:07 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Side story:

I found naked sexting on my son's phone when he was about 15.
The girl was his age or possibly a few months younger.

I went absolutely BAT SHITTT about it.

It was completely consensual, but I told him the girl's parents could charge him.
I know they were both underage but who knows what parents will do.
Who knows how long those photos would be saved on her phone?
Who knows how they could be used against him one day?

Plus ... I didn't want him to continue that behaviour when he was 16 or older, in case of the girl's age.

I swear to God that more than a decade later he still recalls it being the biggest parental meltdown I ever had.
I don't think he's ever done anything like that again.

That’s kids for ya!

Mine’s 11 right now… :?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 9:09 pm

Varies considerably. Try working trains and working out who should genuinely be travelling on a child fayre and who is not a child? It seriously varies from person to person as some adults look like children and some children look a lot older than they are and it is really hard to tell, and many of these youngsters will lie about their age.
I once had a young couple with two children on the train . One child was two and the other was a baby, and both parents were under the age of 16 and could prove it. Both children were theirs. Four years may seem visually different at that age but with some it is not.
Never forget years ago when one of the church youth group who one had to look twice at before picking him out was a very short man who was in his early 80's, and because he was so short, people did not seem to notice his age! Mentally he was more like a teenager than an adult to be honest! Nice man though. Just used to get up to mischief. Once had to talk him out of going on a day trip to Italy from Wales, UK because he reasoned a day trip would be cheaper than paying for a hotel. I asked him how much time he would get. If all planes were on time it would have given him a single hour, and the actual journey would be well over 24 hours in all as it would take him an extra half a day each way to get to the airport and back from the UK side. He was often doing things without thinking them through!

Last edited by Mountain Goat on 04 Jul 2022, 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 9:13 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:

That’s kids for ya!

Mine’s 11 right now… :?

Good luck with that.
You're just heading into the fun stuff.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 9:15 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
I once had a young couple with two children on the train . One child was two and the other was a baby, and both parents were under the age of 16 and could prove it. Both children were theirs.

That’s really sad.

Children raising children.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 9:31 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
There’s a world of difference between 14 and 19, and the 19 year old almost certainly knew it.

We appreciate you using your psychic powers to investigate this for us.

Thank the judge.

Because they've proven what you've said?

It's perfectly fair to reject that argument as a legal defence on the basis that every accused has an interest in claiming it whether or not it's true, but that doesn't mean it can't also be true.

I still stand by that the most severe punishments should be reserved for the most severe, malicious offenders. A system that fails to do that might not be viewed as failing in your eyes but that's not the hill I'd choose to fight on.

I've been in at least one relationship that would have made me the 'victim' of this depending on the AoC (which changed here when I was still a teenager, although after that relationship), she's (still) married to a friend of mine she also 'victimized'.

I've known a few people who've been on one or both sides of relationships of this sort, but since some of them were in those relationships when the law changed, did things morally change somehow because the law changed?

I think if you're going to insist that everyone who's been in that situation was victimized you're denying people agency when you may not actually be in the best position to judge that matter. If you're going to insist on speaking on people's behalf you oughta get their opinion first or at least consider how you'd feel if someone insisted on speaking on your behalf without consulting you.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 9:33 pm

Here's another story:

My daughter was around 14.
I got a phone call from Customs and Immigration at the airport.
Some 19 year old woman had flown from Europe to meet her.
They were online friends.
I'd never heard of her.
My address was given as the contact info for admission to the country.
I had to decide if she should be allowed into the country or not.
Anything she did wrong would be my responsibility as guarantor.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 9:35 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
If you're going to insist on speaking on people's behalf you oughta get their opinion first or at least consider how you'd feel if someone insisted on speaking on your behalf without consulting you.

I don’t need to speak on people’s behalf. The legal system, in this regard, seems to be operating just fine without me.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 9:36 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Here's another story:

My daughter was around 14.
I got a phone call from Customs and Immigration at the airport.
Some 19 year old woman had flown from Europe to meet her.
They were online friends.
I'd never heard of her.
My address was given as the contact info for admission to the country.
I had to decide if she should be allowed into the country or not.
Anything she did wrong would be my responsibility as guarantor.

How did you handle this situation?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 9:41 pm

Panic attack.
Meltdown.
More panic attack.
Lots of tears and apologies from my daughter.

The choice was to send her back to Europe or deal with it.
They didn't give me much time to decide.

I allowed her into the country.
She stayed at a hotel that was quite far away.
She didn't have a car and I made her walk (like two hours) to meet us.
In retrospect that was pretty cruel of me.

She visited the house briefly but I didn't leave them alone for a second.
She always slept at the hotel.
I took them on site seeing tours and chaperoned.
She was very nice, but the situation was ... so bizarre.

I was really overwhelmed with all the sudden responsibility.

They're still friends eleven years later.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 9:44 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Side story:

I found naked sexting on my son's phone when he was about 15.
The girl was his age or possibly a few months younger.

I went absolutely BAT SHITTT about it.

It was completely consensual, but I told him the girl's parents could charge him.
I know they were both underage but who knows what parents will do.
Who knows how long those photos would be saved on her phone?
Who knows how they could be used against him one day?

Plus ... I didn't want him to continue that behaviour when he was 16 or older, in case of the girl's age.

I swear to God that more than a decade later he still recalls it being the biggest parental meltdown I ever had.
I don't think he's ever done anything like that again.

At least legal systems now have a degree of nuance on those issues.

My friend Tamara claimed to have ended up registered because she sent a dirty video to a classmate (who got the same outcome) who sent it to a bunch of people. A few years later reforms occurred there (after her and I had lost contact) but I hope that isn't still following her.

Imagine spending your life as a child sex offender where you're both the victim and the perp. How the hell does someone who isn't entitled to consent also able to be held responsible as an offender, especially when they're also the victim?

It would be almost impossible to actually account for everyone's maturity and development (especially mental) a system that's intended to be compassionate and return people back to being functional members of society needs to be able to apply at least a degree of nuance in how it pursues criminal cases against people who are still developing, especially if there's concrete evidence of factors that probably should be considered as mitigating.

We don't live in a perfect world but as far as I know we're still allowed to discuss flaws, right?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 9:46 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
If you're going to insist on speaking on people's behalf you oughta get their opinion first or at least consider how you'd feel if someone insisted on speaking on your behalf without consulting you.

I don’t need to speak on people’s behalf. The legal system, in this regard, seems to be operating just fine without me.

You literally have by insisting I'm not entitled to decide whether or not I was victimized. Please don't gaslight me on this any further.

Twilightprincess wrote:
At what age, do you think, should we start asking victims of abuse whether they feel like they are victims or not?

(It doesn’t really matter since we already have laws in place to protect victims. I don’t need to sound persuasive.)

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 9:48 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

You literally have by insisting I'm not entitled to decide whether or not I was victimized. Please don't gaslight me on this any further.

How bizarre!

I have never mentioned your situation (let alone “insisted” upon it). Why are you making this about you?

I’m talking about this problematic article.

I’m extremely perplexed.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 9:53 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I have never mentioned your situation. Why are you making this about you?

I wasn't making it about me until you tried that specific argument and I've mostly avoided making it about me except for to specifically call you out for doing something you were trying to deny doing.

You made a blanket statement about a cohort of people that includes me, I'm entitled to point out that you're not entitled to speak on behalf of that cohort given that no individual person within that cohort can and even more certainly, no people who aren't within it can.

I'm not sure where that leaves you but either way you're still trying to speak on behalf of people that might not agree with what you're saying and you're not actually entitled to do so, at least not with any weight.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 9:56 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I wasn't making it about me until you tried that specific argument and I've mostly avoided making it about me except for to specifically call you out for doing something you were trying to deny doing.

You made a blanket statement about a cohort of people that includes me, I'm entitled to point out that you're not entitled to speak on behalf of that cohort given that no individual person within that cohort can and even more certainly, no people who aren't within it can.

I'm not sure where that leaves you but either way you're still trying to speak on behalf of people that might not agree with what you're saying and you're not actually entitled to do so, at least not with any weight.

People can disagree with me if they want to. I’m just stating how I perceive things and how the law perceives things.

People are free not to like it, but that’s not going to change my stance (or the law’s).

I am entitled to speak my opinion, and in doing so, I am not trying to gaslight anyone. Disagreeing with you is not equivalent to gaslighting.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 10:08 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

People can disagree with me if they want to. I’m just stating how I perceive things and how the law perceives things.

People are free not to like it, but that’s not going to change my stance (or the law’s).

I am entitled to speak my opinion, and in doing so, I am not trying to gaslight anyone.

If the law's understanding deviates from what actually is, that's a flaw and not something we should praise. If the law insists on treating people who are not victims as victims and refuses to consider anything but, that's not a positive. That's an action that actually does victimize those people -

- especially if it has actual, concrete negative outcomes on other people who maybe don't need to have those additional hardships in their lives if the details are considered in more depth than just simply comparing against a rubric. That's not a positive, that's something to condemn even if it's unlikely to be fixed in the short term or is unlikely to become a priority.

But hey, you made a strong point with naninanibooboo nothing's ever going to improve.

There's lots of flaws within our system, including some that involve less than sympathetic people but that doesn't make it unreasonable to point them out or reasonable to act like they're positives.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 10:13 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
If the law's understanding deviates from what actually is, that's a flaw and not something we should praise. If the law insists on treating people who are not victims as victims and refuses to consider anything but, that's not a positive. That's an action that actually does victimize those people -

- especially if it has actual, concrete negative outcomes on people who maybe don't need to have those additional hardships in their lives. That's not a positive, that's something to condemn even if it's unlikely to be fixed in the short term or is unlikely to become a priority. But hey, you made a strong point with naninanibooboo nothing's ever going to improve.

Statutory rape is a crime that does victimize people according to research which is why it is (and should be) a crime.

You don’t know whether or not the victims here felt victimized. You are just inserting your own personal feelings and biases.