A different subject I’d like to talk about

Page 1 of 19 [ 292 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 5:23 pm

This is about the sex offender registry and how there are some cases in which some people are who are a “sex offender” are being punished way too harshly. I’m just gonna leave to the link to this article here. It can explain everything better than I can.

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2017 ... r-registry

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 6:27 pm

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I think that both of the people in the examples got the punishment they deserved.

We really don’t need to be lightening up on child sex offenders.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 6:30 pm

Here’s a quote from the article:

“Shawna was deemed to be a sexual predator after pleading guilty to having consensual sex with a 14-year-old boy when she was 19.”

Sex with a 14 year old is not consensual. Disturbing stuff!

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 6:32 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:

“Shawna was deemed to be a sexual predator after pleading guilty to having consensual sex with a 14-year-old boy when she was 19.”

Really? Sounds like two high school kids. :?

Clearly they both deserve to have their lives ruined, one with legal consequences, the other with guilt.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 6:34 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

Clearly they both deserve to have their lives ruined, one with legal consequences, the other with guilt.

A 19 year old is an adult. A 14 year old certainly is not. 5 years make a huge difference.

Would people feel the same way if the genders were reversed here?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 6:38 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

A 19 year old is an adult. A 14 year old certainly is not. 5 years make a huge difference.

It's not enough to act like a reasonable Romeo and Juliet law wouldn't ensure they're protected from being treated as a rapist for the rest of their life. That's absolutely heinous.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 6:39 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

It's not enough to act like a reasonable Romeo and Juliet law wouldn't ensure they're protected from being treated as a rapist for the rest of their life. That's absolutely heinous.

She is a rapist.

5 years is too long for a decent Romeo and Juliet law.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 6:42 pm

Most states have 0-4 year Romeo and Juliet laws.

https://legaldictionary.net/romeo-and-j ... -heading-3

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 6:45 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

She is a rapist.

I appreciate that's how you feel but I strongly disagree. Your opinion isn't going to alter mine because I consider your opinion reprehensible.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 6:46 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Your opinion isn't going to alter mine because I consider your opinion reprehensible.

Likewise.

SpiralingCrow
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 6:51 pm

It's basically a high school senior dating a high school freshman. It happens all the time. There should be some legal leeway if both teens are still in school and still living with the parents.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 6:53 pm

SpiralingCrow wrote:
It's basically a high school senior dating a high school freshman. It happens all the time. There should be some legal leeway if both teens are still in school and still living with the parents.

19 year olds have usually graduated and are in college or have a full-time job.

It doesn’t really matter. A 19 year old is legally an adult.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 6:54 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

She is a rapist.

A bit like a 90 year old dating an 85 year old.

I was not aware that women could be pedophiles as on the news programmes it is only men who can be classed as pedophiles as classing women as pedophiles is sexism.

Last edited by Mountain Goat on 04 Jul 2022, 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 6:58 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:

No, nothing like that since they are both adults. :roll:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 6:59 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

No, nothing like that since they are both adults. :roll:

Yes but they are different age?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 7:00 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
I was not aware that women could be pedophiles as on the news programmes it is only men who can be classed as pedophiles as classing women as pedophiles is classed as sexism.

Geez Louise, I’m glad I bought wine.

Yes, pedophilia is not exclusively a boy’s club.