You basically have to drink alcohol to be a normal adult

Page 6 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2022, 5:32 pm

The "whiskey speech" concerned the question of the prohibition of alcoholic liquor, a law that was still in force in Mississippi at the time the speech was delivered.

“My friends, I had not intended to discuss this controversial subject at this particular time. However, I want you to know that I do not shun controversy. On the contrary, I will take a stand on any issue at any time, regardless of how fraught with controversy it might be. You have asked me how I feel about whiskey. All right, this is how I feel about whiskey:

If when you say whiskey you mean the devil's brew, the poison scourge, the bloody monster, that defiles innocence, dethrones reason, destroys the home, creates misery and poverty, yea, literally takes the bread from the mouths of little children; if you mean the evil drink that topples the Christian man and woman from the pinnacle of righteous, gracious living into the bottomless pit of degradation, and despair, and shame and helplessness, and hopelessness, then certainly I am against it.

But, if when you say whiskey you mean the oil of conversation, the philosophic wine, the ale that is consumed when good fellows get together, that puts a song in their hearts and laughter on their lips, and the warm glow of contentment in their eyes; if you mean Christmas cheer; if you mean the stimulating drink that puts the spring in the old gentleman's step on a frosty, crispy morning; if you mean the drink which enables a man to magnify his joy, and his happiness, and to forget, if only for a little while, life's great tragedies, and heartaches, and sorrows; if you mean that drink, the sale of which pours into our treasuries untold millions of dollars, which are used to provide tender care for our little crippled children, our blind, our deaf, our dumb, our pitiful aged and infirm; to build highways and hospitals and schools, then certainly I am for it.

This is my stand. I will not retreat from it. I will not compromise.”

Sweat later recalled, "When I finished the first half of the speech, there was a tremendous burst of applause. The second half of the speech, after the close of which, the wets all applauded. The drys were as unhappy with the second part of the speech as the wets were with the first half".

Source: (( Wikipedia - Noah S. Sweat - The whiskey speech ))

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2022, 5:42 pm

Fenn wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
I'm not a nerd though. Or I don't want to be

I never said you were.

I was just telling the story about the word. (The word that someone else used self-referentially).

I am not even sure the word origin is the true one - just one of several proposed stories.

I know, it's just that I wouldn't want the word "knurd" to be coined as teetotal folk meaning everyone who doesn't drink is a nerd. I am not a nerd. Nerds are smart.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2022, 5:56 pm

i used to be an alcoholic back in the 90s

im teetotal now because i dont want to look back

does that make me a nerd? :scratch:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2022, 6:10 pm

It makes you smart.....