You basically have to drink alcohol to be a normal adult

Page 5 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jul 2022, 10:12 pm

Some schools are much bigger on partying than others. Mine, not so much. I picked aa non-party school on purpose.

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jul 2022, 10:15 pm

Fwiw, the one time I did get drunk, I just went around telling people how beautiful everything was and how much I loved them.

I don't like mean drunks.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 10:05 am

I was never really a drinker of alcohol when I was younger. It wasn't ever an issue though. I used to still enjoy going out because I would find it amusing to see how my friends would behave when they were drunk.

Quite a few years later (probably during the mid to late 90s) I did get involved with the party scene and started using drugs. I went through a few years where I did believe that I had to use drugs to be normal. I suppose I just enjoyed being high and the more I did it, the more normal it became.

That's all gone now.

I do know that there are some people who have to have a few drinks even before they go out. This is one thing I could never do.

I do enjoy a couple of beers these days but only when I go out and I don't drink to get drunk but drinking at home is not for me.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 10:25 am

I might add though that there are some people on the spectrum who do like to drink and there are some who have experienced the feeling of being less "autistic" in social situations in which everybody is drinking, even if their behavior in this situation might be seen as asinine by a sober observer, and this might lead such people to drink more than they ought. And autism does not by any means bring immunity to alcoholism. I have seen people on this site who are struggling with alcoholism more than once.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 10:37 am

Yes you're right. I didn't get upto my drunken habits during the early part of the 21st century.

I was upto 3 bottles of red wine a night at one point. This was a dangerous time for me as I would do it on my own behind closed curtains. That's why I don't drink at home anymore.

Alcohol was a different experience for me from the title of this thread. It never made me feel normal. I can't relate to that.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 10:54 am

MaxE wrote:
I might add though that there are some people on the spectrum who do like to drink and there are some who have experienced the feeling of being less "autistic" in social situations in which everybody is drinking, even if their behavior in this situation might be seen as asinine by a sober observer, and this might lead such people to drink more than they ought. And autism does not by any means bring immunity to alcoholism. I have seen people on this site who are struggling with alcoholism more than once.

This explains why I don't have much of a social life or many friends while other Aspies I know of that drink do, because they drink. I suppose drinking alcohol relieves social anxiety. I don't lack social skills as such (which is why I often question my diagnosis) but I do have social anxiety and that makes me avoid going out at night to bars and places. I do much better at social events where everybody is sober or are just having a couple of drinks but are eating as well and nobody is getting drunk.

I went to a gender reveal party a few weeks ago, and it was just in the afternoon, but there was no alcohol there and I loved it. I didn't feel pressured into drinking, and it felt like a serene and mature environment and I didn't feel like a wimpy alien.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 10:17 pm

I don't drink and I consider myself to be normal.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 10:32 pm

Dial1194 wrote:
I sometimes wonder if I go through life being perpetually slightly knurd.

What does 'knurd' mean?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 11:30 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Dial1194 wrote:

What does 'knurd' mean?

He linked to the definition in his post. :?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2022, 5:13 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Dial1194 wrote:

What does 'knurd' mean?

Drunk backwards?

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2022, 5:47 am

Joe90 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Dial1194 wrote:

What does 'knurd' mean?

Drunk backwards?

haha that must be it! I don't click on links from people I don't know just in case!

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2022, 9:44 am

^ one possible origin for the word “nerd” is the word “drunk” spelled backwards. The saying goes that “at (name of college) there are only two kinds of people: the drunks and the knurds”. If you picture a school where there are the “cool kids” who like to party (or who are the type of people who get invited to parties) and drink and the “other kind” you have the picture. If you try to say “knurd” out loud it sounds like “nerd” (with “kn” sounded like in “knight” or “knee”).

That is my nerdy over-explaining explanation.

Guess which group I best fit into.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2022, 10:28 am

I'm not a nerd though. Or I don't want to be classed as nerd because I don't drink. I prefer the term "teetotal".

This is why I don't want to ever wear glasses, I know I will look like a nerd. Glasses don't make other people look like nerds but I know they will me when people find out I don't drink.

I'm more of a wimp than a nerd.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2022, 11:10 am

Fenn wrote:
^ one possible origin for the word “nerd” is the word “drunk” spelled backwards. The saying goes that “at (name of college) there are only two kinds of people: the drunks and the knurds”. If you picture a school where there are the “cool kids” who like to party (or who are the type of people who get invited to parties) and drink and the “other kind” you have the picture. If you try to say “knurd” out loud it sounds like “nerd” (with “kn” sounded like in “knight” or “knee”).

That is my nerdy over-explaining explanation.

Guess which group I best fit into.

That is really interesting! I **LOVE** learning the origins of words!

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2022, 11:12 am

Joe90 wrote:
I'm not a nerd though. Or I don't want to be classed as nerd because I don't drink. I prefer the term "teetotal".

This is why I don't want to ever wear glasses, I know I will look like a nerd. Glasses don't make other people look like nerds but I know they will me when people find out I don't drink.

I'm more of a wimp than a nerd.

I prefer the term 'geek'. It sounds better IMO. I imagine a nerd is a computer obsessed person. I know zero about computers. I am an expert on words and their meanings, and writing and editing.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2022, 5:22 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I'm not a nerd though. Or I don't want to be

I never said you were.

I was just telling the story about the word. (The word that someone else used self-referentially).

I am not even sure the word origin is the true one - just one of several proposed stories.