Sniper kills at least 6 at Chicago Suburb July 4th parade

Page 2 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 6:50 pm

Police have identified 22-year-old Robert E. Crimo III as a person of interest in Highland Park parade shooting

Quote:
Highland Park Police Chief Lou Jogmen said they have identified a person of interest in the mass shooting at this morning’s July 4th parade.

The person's name is 22-year-old Robert E. Crimo III.

He is believed to be driving a 2010 silver Honda Fit with Illinois license plate DM80653.

Numerous law enforcement agencies are working to apprehend Crimo.

He is considered armed and dangerous, officials said.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 04 Jul 2022, 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 6:53 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
If it's clear that what is being discussed are guns that are identical to assault rifles except for lacking select fire it's needlessly pedantic to act like the definition being used not matching some preferred definition somehow refutes any part of the discussion.

A weapon-of-war, then?
Because of course, innocent people at 4th of July parades are legally at war? :evil:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 6:59 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
If it's clear that what is being discussed are guns that are identical to assault rifles except for lacking select fire it's needlessly pedantic to act like the definition being used not matching some preferred definition somehow refutes any part of the discussion.

A weapon-of-war, then?
Because of course, innocent people at 4th of July parades are legally at war? :evil:

It seems like the bickering over nomenclature is supposed to convince us that a self-loading carbine with an inline stock and high capacity, detachable box magazine is only a problem if it has select fire as an option when time and again it's proven that select fire isn't needed to massacre a bunch of unarmed civilians.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 7:00 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
When was the last time USA had a Democratic Senate and SCOTUS?

Did they ban assault rifles?

I thought they've always been allowed?

Also, isn't SCOTUS supposed to be nonpartisan?

Its been illegal to own assault rifles built after 1986 for many decades now.I think Reagan actually banned the manafacture of new assault rifles for the civilian market.The AR-15 is not an assault rifle and its also not a weapon of war because it has never been used by any country in war.A true assault rifle is a select-fire that fires intermediate rounds such as the 5.56 NATO and the 7.62x39mm Soviet.Every true assault rifle is a NFA item.What is commonly called assault rifles are not assault rifles at all.

OK thank you. I didn't know any of that. I didn't even know the term "assault rifle" or that AR meant "assault rifle" until recently. I just called them "those big guns that shoot a lot at the same time". Honestly, I don't know terminology.

So what then was used?
Are you saying it was an illegal AR, or it was something else?

And, whatever it was, is it legal?

No problem.I dont know what type of gun was used in chicago.But its the M16 and M4 and full auto AK-47 and machine guns where you cant own it without registering it with the ATF.It takes about 6 months to 1 year to get machine guns and its a long-drawn out process with a lot of red tape.A full auto AK costs about 30 to 50,000 US dollars.

There's only been about 4 cases of full auto assault rifle NFA items being used in this country in crime.The most common sniper caliber is the .308 winchester/7.62x51mm NATO which is way more powerful than a AR-15.Most sniper rifles are bolt actions that are more like deer rifles than assault rifles.I thought the AR-15 was illegal in Chicago but maybe I was wrong.It just takes a simple background check to get a AR-15 from a FFL.However its perfectly legal to buy a AR-15 with no background check from a private party in many states.The gun was prolly a legal gun in most of the country if it was a semi-automatic modern sporting rifle.Hope this cleared it up some.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 7:09 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

A weapon-of-war, then?

It seems like the bickering over nomenclature is supposed to convince us that a self-loading carbine with an inline stock and high capacity, detachable box magazine is only a problem if it has select fire as an option when time and again it's proven that select fire isn't needed to massacre a bunch of unarmed civilians.

Especially since you buy them at the corner store?
I'll keep that in mind next time I don't go to USA.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 7:13 pm

Suspect in custody after 6 killed, dozens wounded in mass shooting at Highland Park July 4th parade

Quote:
The suspected shooter is in custody after six people were killed dozens of others were wounded when a gunman opened fire from a rooftop during the July 4th parade in north suburban Highland Park on Monday.

Highland Park Police Chief Lou Jogmen said 22-year-old Robert "Bobby" E. Crimo III was arrested around 6:30 p.m., more than eight hours after the shooting, following a chase in the north suburbs.

Jogmen said police in North Chicago spotted Crimo's vehicle near Buckley Road and U.S. Route 41, and tried to conduct a traffic stop, but Crimo fled the scene. North Chicago police called for reinforcements, and Crimo's vehicle was stopped about six miles away near Westleigh Road and U.S. 41. He was taken into custody without incident, and charges were pending Monday evening as police continue to investigate.

Twitter is a buzz with photos and videos alleged to be of Crimo attending a Trump rally, posing with a Trump flag over himself, wearing a Pepe shirt. Twitter slueths are making a connections between the photos and the fact the attack happened in a heavily Jewish area.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 04 Jul 2022, 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 7:15 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
When was the last time USA had a Democratic Senate and SCOTUS?

Did they ban assault rifles?

I thought they've always been allowed?

Also, isn't SCOTUS supposed to be nonpartisan?

Its been illegal to own assault rifles built after 1986 for many decades now.I think Reagan actually banned the manafacture of new assault rifles for the civilian market.The AR-15 is not an assault rifle and its also not a weapon of war because it has never been used by any country in war.A true assault rifle is a select-fire that fires intermediate rounds such as the 5.56 NATO and the 7.62x39mm Soviet.Every true assault rifle is a NFA item.What is commonly called assault rifles are not assault rifles at all.

OK thank you. I didn't know any of that. I didn't even know the term "assault rifle" or that AR meant "assault rifle" until recently. I just called them "those big guns that shoot a lot at the same time". Honestly, I don't know terminology.

So what then was used?
Are you saying it was an illegal AR, or it was something else?

And, whatever it was, is it legal?

No problem.I dont know what type of gun was used in chicago.But its the M16 and M4 and full auto AK-47 and machine guns where you cant own it without registering it with the ATF.It takes about 6 months to 1 year to get machine guns and its a long-drawn out process with a lot of red tape.A full auto AK costs about 30 to 50,000 US dollars.

There's only been about 4 cases of full auto assault rifle NFA items being used in this country in crime.The most common sniper caliber is the .308 winchester/7.62x51mm NATO which is way more powerful than a AR-15.Most sniper rifles are bolt actions that are more like deer rifles than assault rifles.I thought the AR-15 was illegal in Chicago but maybe I was wrong.It just takes a simple background check to get a AR-15 from a FFL.However its perfectly legal to buy a AR-15 with no background check from a private party in many states.The gun was prolly a legal gun in most of the country if it was a semi-automatic modern sporting rifle.Hope this cleared it up some.

The guns you're focusing on are barely relevant to crime though, so no one is actually referring to them when they discuss assault rifles being a problem.

The discussion is over whether or not these legal guns (the semi-auto models) should remain so. The conversation is about horses (semi-auto carbines) and bringing zebras into the conversation (the rare auto versions) is a distraction.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 7:24 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Twitter is a buzz with photos and videos alleged to be of Crimo attending a Trump rally, posing with a Trump flag over himself, wearing a Pepe shirt. Twitter slueths are making a connections between the photos and the fact the attack happened in a heavily Jewish area.

Thank goodness they caught the PoS.

Dare I ask what a Pepe shirt is? :(

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 7:35 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

The frog, not the skunk.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 7:35 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

The alt right likes the character for some reason.

Person of Interest’ in Parade Massacre Is Rapper With Creepy Videos
Quote:
The 22-year-old Illinois man identified as a person of interest in Monday’s parade massacre is an amateur rapper who posted disturbing videos on his YouTube channel, including a crude animation depicting a heavily armed shooter being killed by police.

Authorities in this wealthy Chicago suburb announced Monday evening that they are hunting for Robert “Bobby” Crimo III, who is considered armed and very dangerous.

A photo they released matches the person who runs the YouTube channel and goes by the stage name of Awake the Rapper, and a law enforcement official announced they are the same person.

On most of Crimo's social-media pages, and embedded in several of his videos, is a symbol that roughly resembles that used by Suomen Sisu, a far-right Finnish organization. Crimo, however, does not appear to mention the national group in his postings.

An Instagram account also belonging to Crimo—whose family is from the Highland Park area—showcases several black-and-white portraits that reveal him with a tattoo of the number on one side of his temple and the word “Awake” above one of his eyebrows. Crimo also appears to have hatch marks that add up to five under his eye.

A neighbor who requested to remain anonymous told The Daily Beast that Crimo who would ride around the neighborhood and nearby nature preserves on an electric bicycle, blasting heavy metal. He used to drive a car with “pussymobile” written across the back of it.

“The family's been in the area for a long time,” she said, adding that his father is a small business owner who ran for mayor of Highland Park in 2019 and lost in a two-to-one margin to the incumbent.

“We don't really know him, but we see him riding around the neighborhood,”she said. “We never had any interaction with him, other than we just see him driving around.”

His videos, however, are full of dark themes.

In one, titled “On my Mind,” Crimo is seen inside an empty classroom in tactical gear and holding the American Flag. In another, he raps, “Like a sleepwalker, I am breaking through no matter what” alongside snippets of footage in which he appears to be armed.

The video titled “Toy Solider” is an animated cartoon that begins with a student texting in class while Crimo can be heard rapping “f**k this world.” It cuts between images of a heavily armed shooter going inside a school and opening fire and then engaging with police outside. The final scene shows the shooter lying in a pool of blood.

Crimo also appeared to have a blog, where he posted several of his music videos and photos of himself. In one video titled “Smiley Face Solider” Crimo records himself painting an armed solider with a yellow cartoon smiley face on a brick wall while the Star Wars theme song plays in the background.

A listing for Crimo on the entertainment site IMDB, describes him as a “six foot Hip hop phenom” who is the “middle child of three and of Italian descent.”

Chicago shooting person of interest left online trail of violent imagery
Quote:
Robert “Bobby” E. Crimo III, the person of interest identified by police after Monday’s shooting in a Chicago suburb left six people dead and 38 hurt, left a long trail of tributes to mass shootings and public killings on social media platforms, according to numerous profiles that appear to belong to him.

Crimo performed as a rapper who went by the name “Awake,” whose recent music videos included depictions of mass murder.

Crimo’s most recent video posted to YouTube showed him in the aftermath of a school shooting. It ends with Crimo draping himself in an American flag. Another music video showed a cartoon depiction of a man wearing a shirt with his YouTube channel’s logo on it, holding a long gun and being shot by police.

Crimo had his own Discord server, where fans and people who knew him would chat. The community featured a politics board filled with nihilistic political memes. The most recent post before the shooting, which was posted in March, was a picture of Budd Dwyer, the Pennsylvania state treasurer who shot and killed himself on live television in the late 1980s, along with the caption “I wish politicians still gave speeches like this.”

On Discord, fans would share posts that Crimo had made of himself. One apparent selfie Crimo took in March reads: “Cursed image screenshot and send to everyone or commit not alive anymore,” a reference to suicide.

After Monday’s shooting, 4chan trolls invaded the community, using it as a meeting point to laud the shooter and post memes about the attack. The Discord channel was shut down around 6 p.m. ET, just hours after Crimo was named as a person of interest.

Crimo also posted frequently to a message board that discussed graphic depictions of murder, suicide and death. His most recent post to that message board came last week, when he posted a video of a beheading.

Crimo didn’t frequently post about major political figures on his websites, except for two posts about former President Donald Trump.

A video posted to Crimo’s YouTube page on Jan. 2, 2021, appears to show Crimo among a throng of protesters cheering for Trump’s presidential motorcade outside an airport. Crimo flips the phone’s orientation to reveal his face at the end of the video.

Crimo is also seen draped in a Trump flag in a June 27, 2021, post on Twitter. The post is captioned with only the word “spam.”

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 8:17 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

I thought you meant Pepe le Pew, the skunk.
That didn't seem likely so I googled and found a green blob character.
Would that be what you mean?
I'm not familiar.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 8:19 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

I thought you meant Pepe le Pew, the skunk.
That didn't seem likely so I googled and found a green blob character.
Would that be what you mean?
I'm not familiar.

The 'feels good man' frog.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 8:20 pm

I don't think I've seen that before.
It's ugly, whatever it is.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 8:28 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I don't think I've seen that before.
It's ugly, whatever it is.

It's probably past it's peek for visibility, they were really common a few years ago. The guy behind the comic condemned neo-fascist types for their adoption of it and it seems to have somewhat died down.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 8:30 pm

Are mass shootings even news anymore?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 9:58 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Are mass shootings even news anymore?

Only if they're otherwise notable or have an especially high body count.

The regular ol' four in an incident mass shooting? Those are daily, a mere dog bites man story. You need only McDonald's employee who showed up today stopped mass shooting with hot caramel, also McIceCreamMachine was actually working level of notability before people care these days - that's man bites dog.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う