Sniper kills at least 6 at Chicago Suburb July 4th parade

Page 1 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 12:26 pm

5 dead, 16 hurt in shooting along July Fourth parade route north of Chicago

Quote:
Five people were killed and 16 injured in a shooting at a Fourth of July parade in a suburb of Chicago Monday, in what law enforcement officials are calling an active shooter situation, officials said.

The shooter was reported to still be active just after noon.

Sources said the person could be shooting from atop a high building.

The parade was stopped about 10 minutes after it kicked off at 10 a.m. when shots were fired, striking an unknown number of parade-goers and sending hundreds of people running for safety.

A Chicago Sun-Times reporter saw blankets covering three bloodied bodies and five other people wounded and bloodied near the parade's reviewing stand. Several witnesses said they heard multiple shots fired. One witness said he counted more than 20 shots.

Some of the injured were taken to Highland Park hospital for treatment.

State Sen. Julie Morrison said she was about a block away from the shooting.

"We heard gunshots that I kind of thought it was fireworks, then all of a sudden this wave of people starts running back towards us screaming, crying, hysterical, carrying their kids," Morrison said.

Police were patrolling the area with rifles.

The parade had a heavy presence of police and fire vehicles.

Highland Park officials asked residents to avoid the city's downtown area as police responded "to an incident."

Lake Shore Country Club is also locked down.

The city of Highland Park provided very little information on the incident in a Facebook post just before 10:45 a.m., only saying the city's Fourth Fest had been canceled.

The village of Deerfield tweeted at 10:50 a.m. that there had been a shooting in Highland Park, and Deerfield's Family Days at Jewett Park was canceled.

Evanston canceled its parade and fireworks.

"Out of an abundance of caution, today's Skokie Fourth of July Parade has been canceled due to the shooting incident at the Highland Park Fourth of July Parade. The Skokie community grieves with our neighbors in Highland Park," Skokie officials said. "A decision will be made later today regarding tonight's fireworks at Niles West High School."

Morton Grove also canceled its parade.

The FBI is responding.

With the way things have been going I had a bad feeling about today.

Highland Park, Illinois-Wikipedia
Quote:
Highland Park is the location of the main characters' former home in the CBS drama The Good Wife

Highland Park was used for location shots for several movies written and directed by John Hughes in the 1980s including Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Weird Science, Sixteen Candles, Uncle Buck, and Home Alone. Other popular films from the 1980s shot or partially set in Highland Park include Ordinary People, Risky Business, and Lucas. Since 2000, Highland Park movies have included Kicking & Screaming and Shattered Memories of Love. In the film Shattered Glass Stephen Glass, portrayed by actor Hayden Christensen, makes repeated reference to his family's residence in Highland Park as an indication of the high expectations they have for his career.

"Highland Park has the feel of a gated community without the actual gates," writes Vanity Fair, and has a tradition of "very clever minds who left to strike gold in Hollywood." The creators of the Revenge of the Nerds, Beethoven and other films grew up in Highland Park.

It also was the setting for the 2000/2001 Fox and PBS documentary show American High.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 04 Jul 2022, 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 1:08 pm

That's awful.

I can't even imagine.

I thought Biden was going to do something about gun control in the wake of Uvalde? :(

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 1:27 pm

CNN live updates

Quote:
Cmdr. Chris O'Neill from the Highland Park Police said that law enforcement is still searching for the suspect.

O'Neill provided the following description:

"The suspect is currently described as a male White, approximately 18 to 20 years old, with longer black hair, a small build, and wearing a white or blue t-shirt," he said.
O'Neill said a firearm has been recovered from the scene of the shooting.

The police commander urged individuals in the area to shelter in place at this time.

Sgt. Christopher Covelli, from the Lake County Major Crime Task Force, said police have recovered a rifle from the scene of a deadly shooting at a 4th of July parade in Highland Park, Illinois.

Covelli said he could not release details about where the gun was found, but he said it did appear that the shooter was "shooting from a roof," but did not have information about which roof specifically.

He also said at this point in the investigation, police believe there was only one shooter.

At least 26 individuals were transported to NorthShore Highland Park Hospital, according to spokesperson Jim Anthony with the NorthShore University Health System.

Five other individuals were transported to NorthShore Evanston Hospital which is a level one trauma facility.

The two facilities are 30 minutes or 12 miles apart.

At least 20 additional doctors were brought into the Highland Park facility in a short time to respond to the shooting, according to Anthony.

The “vast majority” of victims suffered gunshot wounds according to NorthShore University Health System spokesperson Jim Anthony.

There were some injuries caused by the chaos following the shooting.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 2:05 pm

Ahh s**t. :evil: :cry: Evil takes no holiday.

Found at least one article on Chicago Tribune website,
"
Carrie Mangoubi was at the parade with her three young children and niece when the shooting started. First, she saw the marching band break away from the route and sprint down the street, followed shortly by fire trucks and police cruisers speeding backward down the road.

“It didn’t even cross my mind that there would be a shooter,” Mangoubi said. “Then somebody yelled, ‘There’s a shooter!’ so we just picked up our kids, grabbed them under their arms and just started bolting to the car.”

Mangoubi, of Northbrook, said her heart was still pounding out of her chest several hours after the shooting. Mangoubi’s family moved from the city to the north suburbs in recent years, thinking it would be a safer place to raise their family. Her children were frightened.

“We just explained to them, ‘There’s a bad guy with a gun and we have to run to keep you safe,’” Mangoubi said. “How do you explain this to young children?”
"

Indeed, how?

I have no children, young or otherwise, but, indeed, how??? :(

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/bre ... story.html

and ...
https://news.yahoo.com/reports-gunshots ... 17399.html

"
A man whose adult daughter was at the parade told The Daily Beast that she was grazed by a bullet to the shoulder while protecting her toddler from the shots hitting people around her.

“We got a call—she was hysterical, saying there was a live shooter and she’d been grazed in the shoulder and she’s covering her daughter. She was barely making sense, and my wife started yelling and crying,” he said, asking not to be named because the shooter was still at large.

“The shooter was right across the street, they were in the line of fire,” he said, adding that his daughter and her child sought shelter in Walker Brothers restaurant but have since returned home.

“She’s still in shock, but the question with the 2-year-old now is ‘Should I take her to day care? Should she go to school? Should we go to the store? Should we let her out of the house?’ A lot of people are asking these questions these days, so you just don’t feel safe anywhere anymore. It’s a very affluent neighborhood, it’s one of the richest neighborhoods in Illinois. It’s insane.

“I have a younger daughter who moved to Colorado. Her boyfriend’s parents live in Highland Park, and his mom’s best friend got hit and died.”
"

Last edited by kitesandtrainsandcats on 04 Jul 2022, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 2:09 pm

He picked this most American of days for this most American of activities! Despicable.

When will the horror end.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 2:09 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
That's awful.  I can't even imagine.  I thought Biden was going to do something about gun control in the wake of Uvalde?
Biden cannot do anything without full support from the Republican-controlled Senate and the conservative SCOTUS.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 2:12 pm

Fnord wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
That's awful.  I can't even imagine.  I thought Biden was going to do something about gun control in the wake of Uvalde?
Biden cannot do anything without full support from the Republican-controlled Senate and the conservative SCOTUS.

Are the Senate and SCOTUS in favour of open-carry assault rifles used to murder innocent civilians?

There has to be a line in the sand somewhere, by now?

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 2:21 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
There has to be a line in the sand somewhere, by now?

Isabella, there is a line in the sand, one from both political parties, and they are the same and pretty much describable as, "MY political party is perfect and YOUR political party is the literal spawn of Satan and everything you say is evil and must be prevented!"

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 2:24 pm

When was the last time USA had a Democratic Senate and SCOTUS?

Did they ban assault rifles?

I thought they've always been allowed?

Also, isn't SCOTUS supposed to be nonpartisan?

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 2:42 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

The gal who is the current moderator and general ringleader of our little county seat farm burg's creative writers group has been researching the US Supreme Court for a column she writes for a number of local and regional newspapers.

From what she has told I'm going to say that, yeah, On Paper, the Supreme Court is nonpartisan, or at least is supposed to be, but the reality is that various Presidential administrations and parties have worked at manipulating it from almost the very beginning. Even via changing the number of Justices on it.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 2:47 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Did they ban assault rifles? I thought they've always been allowed?

Just found this, it may be of interest, it answers those questions,

https://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public ... an-summary

"
Assault weapon bans have been proven to be effective

The 1994 Assault Weapons Ban was effective at reducing crime and getting these military-style weapons off our streets. Since the ban expired, ...
"

EDIT:

and I just found, https://www.ojp.gov/pdffiles1/173405.pdf
"
U.S. Department of Justice
Office of Justice Programs
National Institute of Justice

R e s e a r c h i n B r i e f
National Institute of Justice
Jeremy Travis, Director

Impacts of the 1994 Assault
Weapons Ban: 1994–96

by Jeffrey A. Roth and Christopher S. Koper

March 1999

Issues and Findings
Discussed in this Brief: This study
examines the short-term impact
(1994–96) of the assault weapons
ban on gun markets and gun-
related violence as contained in
Title XI of the Federal Violent Crime
Control and Law Enforcement Act
of 1994. Title XI prohibits the
manufacture, sale, and possession
of specific makes and models of
military-style semiautomatic fire-
arms and other semiautomatics
with multiple military-style features
(detachable magazines, flash sup-
pressors, folding rifle stocks, and
threaded barrels for attaching
silencers) and outlaws most large
capacity magazines (ammunition-
feeding devices) capable of holding
more than 10 rounds of ammuni-
tion. Weapons and magazines
manufactured prior to September
13, 1994, are exempt from the ban.

Key issues: Although the weapons
banned by this legislation were used
only rarely in gun crimes before
the ban, supporters felt that these
weapons posed a threat to public
safety because they are capable of
firing many shots rapidly. They
argued that these characteristics
enhance offenders’ ability to kill and
wound more persons and to inflict
multiple wounds on each victim, so
that a decrease in their use would
reduce the fatality rate of gun
attacks.

The ban’s impact on lethal gun
violence is unclear because the
short period since the enabling
legislation’s passage created
methodological difficulties for ...
"

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 2:54 pm

Thanks!

So they had a ban for ten years and decided to stop it?

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/13/75065617 ... -it-expire

Wow.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 4:49 pm

I guess everyone is going to have to start wearing a bullet-proof vest whenever they go out now. That will be the next "new normal", after wearing masks. Well, it should be.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 6:38 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

Its been illegal to own assault rifles built after 1986 for many decades now.I think Reagan actually banned the manafacture of new assault rifles for the civilian market.The AR-15 is not an assault rifle and its also not a weapon of war because it has never been used by any country in war.A true assault rifle is a select-fire that fires intermediate rounds such as the 5.56 NATO and the 7.62x39mm Soviet.Every true assault rifle is a NFA item.What is commonly called assault rifles are not assault rifles at all.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 6:41 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Its been illegal to own assault rifles built after 1986 for many decades now.I think Reagan actually banned the manafacture of new assault rifles for the civilian market.The AR-15 is not an assault rifle and its also not a weapon of war because it has never been used by any country in war.A true assault rifle is a select-fire that fires intermediate rounds such as the 5.56 NATO and the 7.62x39mm Soviet.Every true assault rifle is a NFA item.What is commonly called assault rifles are not assault rifles at all.

OK thank you. I didn't know any of that. I didn't even know the term "assault rifle" or that AR meant "assault rifle" until recently. I just called them "those big guns that shoot a lot at the same time". Honestly, I don't know terminology.

So what then was used?
Are you saying it was an illegal AR, or it was something else?

And, whatever it was, is it legal?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 6:44 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

While this is technically true it's also not entirely relevant to most discussions.

If it's clear that what is being discussed are guns that are identical to assault rifles except for lacking select fire it's needlessly pedantic to act like the definition being used not matching some preferred definition somehow refutes any part of the discussion.

It's right up there with insisting on correcting someone who calls a magazine a clip, it's unlikely the "correction" adds nothing of value to whatever discussion it's being interjected into.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う