Working out my lower body a waste of time?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 4:48 pm

I have naturally very thick legs like tree trunks.

Is it a waste of time working out my legs/lower body if it is already so big?

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 4:56 pm

When you're at the gym you could use the time spent working on your legs to rest your arms? Thats what I do. Then try another set with your arms.
I guess it's not something worth making a priority :D

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 5:01 pm

klanka wrote:
When you're at the gym you could use the time spent working on your legs to rest your arms? Thats what I do. Then try another set with your arms.
I guess it's not something worth making a priority :D

I heard working out your lower body works your upper body as well.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 5:15 pm

I've never heard that theory, maybe doing the leg exercises helps your abs? Thats the only thing I can imagine.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 5:17 pm

klanka wrote:
I've never heard that theory, maybe doing the leg exercises helps your abs? Thats the only thing I can imagine.

Some people say though if I workout my legs they will get to big which I guess is not a good look?

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 5:25 pm

I've heard many women say they dont like the 'body builder' look which i think is the steroid look. I'm not sure how big is too big without steroids to be honest.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 5:27 pm

klanka wrote:
I've heard many women say they dont like the 'body builder' look which i think is the steroid look. I'm not sure how big is too big without steroids to be honest.

I am 5’7 3/4 and weigh 160 so I have not a body builder physique more like fit and athletic.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 5:32 pm

No, it's not a waste of time for mobility reasons. I wouldn't stop lower body workouts.

Bodyweight exercises for the lower body would be a great alternative to avoid bulking. Lifting lighter weights for lower body workouts is an option too.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2022, 5:17 am

As someone who is currently going through lower limb physiotherapy I would absolutely agree with where_am_i. Lower limb/body training is essential for mobility.

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2022, 9:22 pm

There's significant evidence that moderate strength training of the entire body will lead to better health status and less muscular atrophy as you age. There's no need to go to extremes bodybuilder style, just use the muscles because that's what they're there for. The old adage rings true, use it or lose it.

AedanKidd
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jul 2022, 5:04 am

In my opinion, exercising your lower body in the gym is just as important as exercising with your hands, so regardless of your current form, you can always reach something higher!

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 11:07 pm

IMO it's definitely worth it to work/keep working your lower body, especially if you look at things from a fitness (vs. aesthetics) angle. While you should train your quads, hams, glutes, calves, etc., you could also tend to muscles that often get overlooked or taken for granted until there's a problem, like shins, ankles, and even your feet. It's also never a bad idea to develop flexibility, mobility, range of motion, and balance. You don't even have to go to the gym or "suit up" for any of those--you can do them while watching tv or brushing your teeth. A lot of the exercises are simple and efficient--for example, standing on one leg can work several muscle groups, from the sole of your feet all the way up to your core, all at one time while also engaging your brain.

I know some of this might come across as senior-center stuff, but elite athletes do it, too. Have fun with it!

juligrat
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Aug 2022, 7:13 am

Ok, thank you guys!

heathterry
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Aug 2022, 7:19 am

Is that all you wanted to leave here?

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 9:31 am

I wonder what weight at a height of 5ft7-5ft8 I could achieve naturally by weightlifting?

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 12:40 pm

Lifting weights to increase your size, to a point where it suits your frame, is all you need to aim for if aesthetics is your goal. After that, it's about maintenance.

I recommend reading articles on https://visualimpactfitness.com/articles/ if that is your goal. He advises on how to increase muscle density and tone, without adding size.

There are tips on tweaking to add size on certain body parts, plus how to reduce size too (ie lower half).