Is it common for aspies to not like the way they look?

Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2023, 1:18 am

In my early twenties I was slim but also hunch-backed and I had very crooked teeth. So I went to the chiropractor who gave me back exercises to do every day. So now I can stand up straight. Then I went and got braces as well as surgery on my jaw. So now my teeth are straight. I can smile with confidence. At age 27 I was at my best physically. But not mentally.

So now I'm fat as a result of taking antipsychotic medication and I don't like my appearance anymore.

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2023, 1:08 pm

Let's see how I can answer this, growing up I always have had and still to this day have a gawky appearance; which has caused me to be tormented,bullied, etc despite this I've come to acknowledge my physical form and others without being biased. I understand many women on the autistic spectrum have a much worse time since, being bullied and the like is way greater and more severe. I'll simply so all people on the spectrum should not be tormented over the physical form regardless..

Silence23
Toucan
Toucan

01 Feb 2023, 2:10 pm

I don't really care. I just don't want to look like a hobo. Though I somewhat cared when I wasn't asexual. And I still hate old photos of me, where I'm trying to smile. Which is basically all old photos lol.

I think it's sort of natural (due to evolution) for women to care a lot about their appearance, as that increases the amount of mates they can select from. They like to groom themselves, so they feel better. And it's a source of unnecessary self-esteem issues. Many men will still find you attractive when overweight. One of my gfs weighed more than me, and I didn't care. Don't waste your time with negative thoughts about your appearance. If you can't change it right now, maybe you'll find a way to change it later.

You also don't need to have the perfectly symmetric face of a supermodel for men to find you attractive. Do you have something about your face which you like? E.g. your eyes? Then focus on the eyes when looking into the mirror.

I may call myself fat because I'm slightly overweight. But that's not really a self-esteem issue. I don't have negative emotions when doing so. I'd just prefer to weigh a little less, because it's a health issue.