Page 25 of 44 [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 44  Next

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2022, 7:35 am

KitLily wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
I wonder if we will be onto our 5th PM in 6 years soon

Who would it be? What would they dredge up from the depths? Kwarteng and his Joker-like mannerisms?

If party polling holds true it would be Cincinnatus himself, begged to come back and save us all.

But in reality I don't think the Conservatives could force another PM on us without calling a General Election, or suffering the loss of a no confidence vote in the commons (which would trigger a GE anyway). Of course, that may be something they calculate they could win if they did bring Mr. Johnson back as party leader - many of them still believe.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2022, 9:45 am

DuckHairback wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:

Who would it be? What would they dredge up from the depths? Kwarteng and his Joker-like mannerisms?

If party polling holds true it would be Cincinnatus himself, begged to come back and save us all.

But in reality I don't think the Conservatives could force another PM on us without calling a General Election, or suffering the loss of a no confidence vote in the commons (which would trigger a GE anyway). Of course, that may be something they calculate they could win if they did bring Mr. Johnson back as party leader - many of them still believe.

Gosh I hope you're right! About them not forcing another PM on us, not the bit about getting Johnson back!

Did you see that the International Monetary Fund and the Bank of England are now criticising the government and stepping in to stop the economy completely crashing?

Apparently the IMF are a left wing, woke organisation, according to right wing commentators. Erm...The IMF??

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 5:29 am

KitLily wrote:
DuckHairback wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:

Gosh I hope you're right! About them not forcing another PM on us, not the bit about getting Johnson back!

Did you see that the International Monetary Fund and the Bank of England are now criticising the government and stepping in to stop the economy completely crashing?

Apparently the IMF are a left wing, woke organisation, according to right wing commentators. Erm...The IMF??

I hope I'm right too. But a lot of Tory MPs must now be very frightened at the prospect of losing their seats (and their £85,000pa + expenses) at the next GE. Even if they've accepted that the party is toast for now, they'd all rather be in opposition than lose their jobs. If they thought that opposing the government's plans would let them keep their seat, I reckon they'd go for it now.

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if this government ends in a commons vote of no confidence backed by all the opposition parties and 40 or so Conservative MPs. I'd also be quite happy about it.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 5:32 am

KitLily wrote:

It's insane isn't it? Why bother having experts if you're going to not just ignore everything they say but actively undermine their authority and just go with whatever your ideology dictates.

Why even bother educating people at all?

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 5:40 am

DuckHairback wrote:
I hope I'm right too. But a lot of Tory MPs must now be very frightened at the prospect of losing their seats (and their £85,000pa + expenses) at the next GE. Even if they've accepted that the party is toast for now, they'd all rather be in opposition than lose their jobs. If they thought that opposing the government's plans would let them keep their seat, I reckon they'd go for it now.

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if this government ends in a commons vote of no confidence backed by all the opposition parties and 40 or so Conservative MPs. I'd also be quite happy about it.

Such selfish, greedy people. They have no thought about caring for their voters or helping others.

I think that sounds like the best idea about the vote of no confidence etc.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 5:44 am

DuckHairback wrote:
KitLily wrote:

It's insane isn't it? Why bother having experts if you're going to not just ignore everything they say but actively undermine their authority and just go with whatever your ideology dictates.

Why even bother educating people at all?

Yes, there's a reason we need experts isn't there. We don't live in La La land.

It's the fashionable way to dismiss people now, to say they are woke lefties. That includes the Archbishop of Canterbury as well as the IMF now it seems.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 2:19 am

Yougov poll gives Labour a 33 point lead.

Its obviously an outlier, but it still tells you something significant

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 3:20 am

I think they're in the sh!t.

Even the guy from the imf said that the sensible thing to do when you're in a hole is to stop digging.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 3:27 am

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 4:07 am

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 5:54 am

Biscuitman wrote:

Bl00dy hcll I've never seen such figures before! Now we need a General Election asap.

However I forecast a long cold winter of discontent before anything happens. I'm wearing 4 layers of clothes today and it's not even October yet.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 10:42 am

Just watched Kamikwasi Kwarteng trying to dig himself out of a hole.

It had to be one of the most unconvincing speeches I've ever heard.

He's focusing on delivering. He'll be delivering pizzas this time next week...if he's lucky.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 12:06 pm

Imagine if he turned up with a pizza! Who would take it? :lol:

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 12:20 pm

It's great news that she's U-turned on the tax cut for the rich:
1. The rich won't get a tax cut.
2. She's made herself look a complete fool.
3. The Tories are now in complete disarray.

It seems ironic to me that the Tories got into power because Labour had increased the national debt. Cameron cut the public services massively "because we have to pay down the debt." And look where we are now after 12 years of Tory government.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 12:46 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
It's great news that she's U-turned on the tax cut for the rich:
1. The rich won't get a tax cut.
2. She's made herself look a complete fool.
3. The Tories are now in complete disarray.

It seems ironic to me that the Tories got into power because Labour had increased the national debt. Cameron cut the public services massively "because we have to pay down the debt." And look where we are now after 12 years of Tory government.

It's just that the electorate don't seem to care. The Tories can do whatever they like and they get voted back in because people 'don't trust Labour.' FFS.

The next government MUST set up Proportional Representation and re-engage people. Right now people have switched off to politics and think all governments are the same. They need to be switched on again.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 5:06 pm

KitLily wrote:

The next government MUST set up Proportional Representation and re-engage people. Right now people have switched off to politics and think all governments are the same. They need to be switched on again.

A few months back, when Labour looked like it would need at least the support of the Lib Dems and the Greens to form a coalition, this felt like a really exciting possibility. Unfortunately now its looking like Labour could feasibly pull a decent majority out of the bag, there is zero incentive for them to offer this.