Page 23 of 44 [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 44  Next

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 1:48 pm

The UK gets its 4th Prime Minister in 6 years (and I suspect in 2024 we will have another change of PM too)

Strong & Stable!

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 4:19 am

Biscuitman wrote:
The UK gets its 4th Prime Minister in 6 years (and I suspect in 2024 we will have another change of PM too)

Strong & Stable!

Yes, the Tories have worked out the way to remain in power forever.

A PM is elected. The PM resigns. There is a leadership contest. The next PM is finally decided by 0.3% of the UK population.

A PM is elected. The PM resigns. There is a leadership contest. The next PM is finally decided by 0.3% of the UK population etc.

Repeat forever.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

06 Sep 2022, 5:50 am

A small ray of sunshine is that both Patel and Dorries have resigned.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Sep 2022, 7:17 am

I wouldn't claim to be well informed but I wonder how common it is for various conservative parties to cheerfully ignore society-wide problems and echo propaganda of success until things collapse?
Seems to have been Johnson's policy, Trump's policy, PiS' policy in Poland and Truss also draws a picture like that on what she intends to do.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 7:40 am

Truss = Thatcher 2.0

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

06 Sep 2022, 7:49 am

magz wrote:
I wouldn't claim to be well informed but I wonder how common it is for various conservative parties to cheerfully ignore society-wide problems and echo propaganda of success until things collapse?
That's exactly what Johnson did in his leaving speech, claiming success for a range of half-baked and some not-baked-at-all aims and projects. The cherry on the cake was "We got Brexit done" and the rest of it rapidly went downhill.
BBC fact check: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/62806217

Quote:
Seems to have been Johnson's policy, Trump's policy, PiS' policy in Poland and Truss also draws a picture like that on what she intends to do.
She doesn't have a clue. Despite world + wife + dog telling her that cutting income tax would save the most poorly paid next to nothing, how those people needing the most help would get the least - she still intends to go with it.

I got an email from my energy provider today - my monthly payments are going up from £151 (itself up from £90-odd) to £256. I can expect another rise in October and another in January. I am extremely fortunate in being able to afford it - but it's still no joke and unless she comes up with some workable master plan it's going to continue getting worse.

Fun fact: people were posting congratulations to the Twitter account LizTruss - which turned out to be the entirely unrelated Liz Trussell. Of course no-one bothered to check first, so her actual PM Twitter account is now trussliz.
I can't help thinking this is a sign of things to come... :lol:

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

06 Sep 2022, 7:50 am

Doberdoofus wrote:
Truss = Thatcher 2.0
I think she'll turn out to be Thatcher 0.2 :lol:

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 7:52 am

Cornflake wrote:
Doberdoofus wrote:
Truss = Thatcher 2.0

:lol:

I'll pray for you all in the UK.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Sep 2022, 7:54 am

Cornflake wrote:
Doberdoofus wrote:
Truss = Thatcher 2.0
:lol:
That happens when you try to mimic someone instead of trying to best yourself.

How much time do we give her until her government collapses? She's inherited quite a mess so I wouldn't expect too long.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 8:05 am

Cornflake wrote:

Braverman rumoured to be replacing Patel. one of the few MP's who could be even worse than Patel

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

06 Sep 2022, 8:07 am

magz wrote:
How much time do we give her until her government collapses? She's inherited quite a mess so I wouldn't expect too long.
I think six months should test the mettle of the woman and reveal what we actually have, outside of the faux determination "you can trust me" power-posing.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

06 Sep 2022, 8:08 am

Biscuitman wrote:
Cornflake wrote:

Braverman rumoured to be replacing Patel. one of the few MP's who could be even worse than Patel
Oh lovely. That's just perfect... :roll:

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 8:17 am

magz wrote:

That was pretty much what Johnson's whole plan was, and it worked for a while until people saw through it. In the face of all evidence that he had failed at something, he would announce to the country that he had not only done it, but that it was a huge success.

he also picked a cabinet of people who were willing to do the same. It was quite maddening at times where they had not followed up at all on something they promised to do, and when asked why they hadn't he would say actually they had done it and Britain was now enjoying the success of it. He knew that a big chunk of the country wouldn't follow up and look into it and would just take his word for it. If a journalist starting questioning what on earth he was doing telling lies like that he would demonise that media source, claim they were biased and not telling the truth. He would then send his own media out (Telegraph, Mail, Express) to back up his claims that he had done it. Gaslighting a country for 2 1/2 years. what a total clown of a man.

anyway, I am pleased to see the opposition are anywhere between 8-17% in the lead depending on which polling company you look at

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 2:13 pm

Very interesting comments. I'll try to reply to them in one go.

Cornflake- yes those resignations are great! What will replace Dorries and Patel though 8O My energy bills are similar to yours. Unbelievable figures, what are we going to do about it. Freeze, I guess.

Magz- you're correct about Conservative parties' policies...

Doberdoofus- thanks for your prayers, we'll need them... :x

Everyone- did you see that Johnson likened himself to the Roman senator Cincinnatus, who ruled then resigned, then was asked to come back to power and became a dictator. That is not an accidental reference is it...

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 2:51 pm

KitLily wrote:
Everyone- did you see that Johnson likened himself to the Roman senator Cincinnatus, who ruled then resigned, then was asked to come back to power and became a dictator. That is not an accidental reference is it...

Did lol. Cincinnatus is not usually referenced in such a way. The Cincinnatus myth and the part to aspire to is the first part - that he (modestly and without any unvirtuous aspirations) responds to a crisis, heeds the call of duty, takes on the burden of political and military power to save the state and his people, then quietly retires to his farm after saving the day - the model leader and the model citizen of the Roman Republic. Ridiculous for anyone to make that comparison with Johnson and Brexit, I know, but it doesn't mean "tehehehe prepare for my coming dictatorship"

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 4:09 pm

KitLily wrote:
Very interesting comments. I'll try to reply to them in one go.

Cornflake- yes those resignations are great! What will replace Dorries and Patel though 8O My energy bills are similar to yours. Unbelievable figures, what are we going to do about it. Freeze, I guess.

Braverman replaces Patel. Mogg gets energy.

Most of this lot I can just roll my eyes at and accept they are a bunch of 2nd rate politicians who will last around 2 years and will mostly be forgotten about shortly afterwards, but Braverman as Home Secretary genuinely frightens me. She is like Patel on steroids. The damage she could (and likely will) do is untold.