Page 22 of 44 [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 44  Next

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 11:47 am

Biscuitman wrote:
Footage leaked of Sunak announcing to a group of pensioners in one of the wealthiest parts of the country that he is focused on changing the funding set up of the country so that money is removed from the most deprived areas of the country and instead given to places like theirs

I mean, that's the entire point of the Tory Party, but he said the bit out loud that he was meant to say in his head to himself. Its hard to see how he survives this

Yes, how is this right and just? What is wrong with people who vote for this?

:arrow: Rishi Sunak admits taking money from deprived areas https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ived-areas

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 3:22 pm

KitLily wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
Footage leaked of Sunak announcing to a group of pensioners in one of the wealthiest parts of the country that he is focused on changing the funding set up of the country so that money is removed from the most deprived areas of the country and instead given to places like theirs

I mean, that's the entire point of the Tory Party, but he said the bit out loud that he was meant to say in his head to himself. Its hard to see how he survives this

Yes, how is this right and just? What is wrong with people who vote for this?

:arrow: Rishi Sunak admits taking money from deprived areas https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ived-areas

The Big Issue mentioned a couple of months ago that Sunak had managed to secure "Levelling Up" funds for his own constituency, one of the wealthiest areas in northern England, whilst bids from impoverished post-industrial towns not lucky enough to have a Cabinet minister to represent them have mysteriously failed to qualify.

Fun fact: his constituency is a town called "Richmond." Private Eye couldn't make it up.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 5:45 am

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
The Big Issue mentioned a couple of months ago that Sunak had managed to secure "Levelling Up" funds for his own constituency, one of the wealthiest areas in northern England, whilst bids from impoverished post-industrial towns not lucky enough to have a Cabinet minister to represent them have mysteriously failed to qualify.

Fun fact: his constituency is a town called "Richmond." Private Eye couldn't make it up.

WTF. Every day this country is getting crazier. It's like living in a dystopia.

Richi Sunak in Richmond :roll: :lol:

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2022, 7:11 pm

Sunak seems to have belatedly cottoned on to the idea that telling great big stonking lies like Johnson did is the way to charm his party. Trouble is, he's really, really bad at it. Not only does he have the delivery of a 12-year-old unsuccesfully trying the "dog ate my homework" gambit for the tenth time, he really doesn't know his audience. Latest: claiming to be the only senior Conservative who opposed lockdown measures. Pretty much the entire party are now loudly setting him straight on that one.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2022, 7:18 am

It is sickening that the new Prime Minister will be voted for by about 0.3% of the UK population of about 68million people. Talk about unelected officials.

The whole problem with the EU was apparently 'their officials are unelected so they have no right to tell us what to do.' Erm...we had regular EU elections, the last was in 2019.

And now we are about to be governed by an unelected official i.e. one that 99.7% of the population didn't elect!

:x :x :x :x

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 7:50 am

KitLily wrote:
It is sickening that the new Prime Minister will be voted for by about 0.3% of the UK population of about 68million people. Talk about unelected officials.

The whole problem with the EU was apparently 'their officials are unelected so they have no right to tell us what to do.' Erm...we had regular EU elections, the last was in 2019.

And now we are about to be governed by an unelected official i.e. one that 99.7% of the population didn't elect!

I realised the other day that out of the 7 Prime Ministers I've seen in my lifetime, only 3 came to power in an election. Next month will make it 3 out of 8. Democracy!

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 8:16 am

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
KitLily wrote:

I realised the other day that out of the 7 Prime Ministers I've seen in my lifetime, only 3 came to power in an election. Next month will make it 3 out of 8. Democracy!

The opposite of democracy. Governing by the back door...

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 8:26 am

I was looking for this thread.

Watching Liz Truss is like sitting in the peanut gallery waiting for cheap laughs. Except the only thing that's cheap are her earrings and there are no laughs to be had.

It's a pretty piss poor show.

The only good thing that will come out of her being pm is when she gets torn asunder in pmq's.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 7:14 am

babybird wrote:
I was looking for this thread.

Watching Liz Truss is like sitting in the peanut gallery waiting for cheap laughs. Except the only thing that's cheap are her earrings and there are no laughs to be had.

It's a pretty piss poor show.

The only good thing that will come out of her being pm is when she gets torn asunder in pmq's.

Starmer is yet another reason this leadership contest is so baffling. They've all seen him baiting Johnson. He'd reduce Sunak to a stammering wreck, and he'd make it pretty damn clear that Truss can't keep a thought in her head for two consecutive sentences.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 8:06 am

Feels like we are in a weird, very worrying and historic moment in the UK.

Most suggestions are that we are about to head into a very severe recession, around 40% of the nation are unsure if they can even heat their homes this winter, decision making by the government is impacting on British businesses being able to sell abroad, and we are about to get a new PM who looks like she will challenge Johnson to being the worst we have seen in a very long time. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if we see civil unrest over the winter.

In a short space of time ive gone from thinking we will never get the Tories out, to thinking Truss gives Labour a genuine outside chance of winning power, to thinking the country are sick of this govt and they just want rid of them

We now have to brace for 2 years or so to endure whatever awfulness the Tories impose on the British people until we have the next election. Sadly there is a lot of damage that can happen in 2 years.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 8:17 am

Biscuitman wrote:
Feels like we are in a weird, very worrying and historic moment in the UK.

Most suggestions are that we are about to head into a very severe recession, around 40% of the nation are unsure if they can even heat their homes this winter, decision making by the government is impacting on British businesses being able to sell abroad, and we are about to get a new PM who looks like she will challenge Johnson to being the worst we have seen in a very long time. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if we see civil unrest over the winter.

In a short space of time ive gone from thinking we will never get the Tories out, to thinking Truss gives Labour a genuine outside chance of winning power, to thinking the country are sick of this govt and they just want rid of them

We now have to brace for 2 years or so to endure whatever awfulness the Tories impose on the British people until we have the next election. Sadly there is a lot of damage that can happen in 2 years.

I agree with everything you say. Apparently once people miss four meals in a row, they start rioting. And if we can't heat our homes, that will make people even more angry. I am dreading this winter.

The thing that really worries me is, the current government are devastating the Electoral Commission, making them toothless so they are run by, or at least accountable to, the government. So we may not even get another General Election because some loophole will be found to make them illegal, or similar... :x

I look forward to seeing what future historians write about this time period, but unfortunately we have to live through it. The next government MUST MUST MUST change the voting system to make it fairer e.g. Proportional Representation.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 8:19 am

It really is a race to the bottom

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 1:17 pm

Truss cancels her BBC interview at the last minute.

In a carbon copy of Johnson in 2019 she agreed to be grilled by an interviewer on the BBC only if she could go last, then once Sunak's interview is done and its her turn, she cancels.

Absolutely pathetic and cowardly

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 1:38 pm

They're literally making a drama out of a crisis. It should never have taken this long to put someone new in place.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 9:53 am

Biscuitman wrote:
Truss cancels her BBC interview at the last minute.

In a carbon copy of Johnson in 2019 she agreed to be grilled by an interviewer on the BBC only if she could go last, then once Sunak's interview is done and its her turn, she cancels.

Absolutely pathetic and cowardly

They are taking the pi55 out of the public. A leader elected by 0.7% of the population is not a fair and democratic result.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 10:35 am

So, Liz Truss triumphs. Huzzah. :x