Does anyone else with autism have gastrointestinal issues?

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

sohil142003
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jul 2022, 9:33 pm

I feel like I have a lot of stomach and gastrointestinal issues for along time. Like I have wet farts and diarrhea and that kind of stuff. Can anyone else relate?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2022, 9:51 pm

I have had Colitis and Crohn’s along the way.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2022, 9:52 pm

I had nearly a foot of my bowel removed.

sohil142003
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jul 2022, 10:01 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

Seriously?

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2022, 10:11 pm

Yep; IBS, on again-off again colitis, Diverticular disease.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2022, 10:12 pm

sohil142003 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Seriously?

Yup.

I also have a partially-artificial bladder, three ureters, and a host of other fun tricks.

* And no, I'm lucky I don't have a colostomy bag.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2022, 10:14 pm

I used to have ulcers all over my digestive tract (esophagus, stomach, intestines, etc.) that didn't get diagnosed until I was 14, and had progressively worse issues related to it (gastroparesis, constant throat infections, acid reflux, etc.) since I was a little kid. The past couple years I haven't had many flare ups though, and since I've been in a less stressful environment my issues at least aren't noticeable at this point. I probably have some problems with nutrient malabsorption though, and should go to a gastroenterologist again to see what damage has actually been done to my intestines and stomach. :|

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2022, 10:29 pm

Sorry to hear all those stories from people. :(

My mother who is likely ASD has an esophageal condition called Barrett's, Diverticulitis, and kidney disease.
My daughter (ASD) has Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome and Gastroparesis, as well as Lupus which eats her kidneys.
I was born with congenital liver condition and I have kidney problems.
I can't do dairy, even though my tests for Lactose Intolerance come back negative.
I have diverticula on my urethra.

TMI, sorry.

My autistic granddad had liver cancer.
Actually, the other one who was likely autistic had stomach / intestinal cancer.

Last edited by IsabellaLinton on 05 Jul 2022, 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sohil142003
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jul 2022, 10:30 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I used to have ulcers all over my digestive tract (esophagus, stomach, intestines, etc.) that didn't get diagnosed until I was 14, and had progressively worse issues related to it (gastroparesis, constant throat infections, acid reflux, etc.) since I was a little kid. The past couple years I haven't had many flare ups though, and since I've been in a less stressful environment my issues at least aren't noticeable at this point. I probably have some problems with nutrient malabsorption though, and should go to a gastroenterologist again to see what damage has actually been done to my intestines and stomach. :|

Ah I see. So is this most likely related to stress

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2022, 10:53 pm

sohil142003 wrote:
Ah I see. So is this most likely related to stress

I don't know if stress caused it, but I've heard that stress can make autoimmune conditions worse. The most stressful points of my life have also been the times where my digestive issues were the most debilitating.

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2022, 11:16 pm

I do. I went to the doctor and they just told me I had anxiety and a vitamin D deficiency, so I’m unsure

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2022, 11:23 pm

Brainiac42 wrote:
I do. I went to the doctor and they just told me I had anxiety and a vitamin D deficiency, so I’m unsure

Ha. I took 10,000 IU of Vitamin D today for the first time, and I'm high as a kite.

You could scrape me off the ceiling.

It's so weird.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2022, 2:21 am

Yes. I was told by the doctor that I have IBS. At one stage my everyday routine revolved around that. I hear that the cause of IBS is not known/proven yet but some factors such as certain foods and stress are known to worsen IBS. My IBS is not as bad now because I am aware of what I should include in my diet and what I shouldn't.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2022, 3:41 am

sohil142003 wrote:
I feel like I have a lot of stomach and gastrointestinal issues for along time. Like I have wet farts and diarrhea and that kind of stuff. Can anyone else relate?

I think most on the spectrum can relate.

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jul 2022, 3:46 am

sohil142003 wrote:

I know someone that has digestive problems (maybe similar to what you are describing). He is autistic, have dyscalculia (problems with simple calculations). He appears to have celiac disease.

In my own case problems like these are extremely rare. I never vomit and have diarrhea because of a disease. When I do vomit and have diarrhea, it is always caused by food poisoning. After one or two days, everything is okay again.

Diarrhea disappears after a few hours. When I don't go to toilet for a poo for one or two whole days, there may be something wrong. Many people with diarrhea must go to the toilet more often than usual, but I must go to the toilet less often than usual, strange enough.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2022, 8:00 am

I had issues , but I did a biology degree in the nineties which taught me about probiotics.
I bought some Yakult yoghurt drinks and drank them all in one night. Then I was pretty normal.