Have You Been Politically Brainwashed By The Media?

Page 3 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2022, 5:17 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
Thanks to all who replied. To be honest, we really do not realize how easily we can be brainwashed...

I actually think that many people on here, but not everyone, know how easy it is to be brainwashed

I think that is the problem. We as humans seem to be easily decieved if the deception comes from sources we assume we can trust. A perfect example is I could say something which people would not believe, but if they see the same thing on the news they would believe it just because they saw it on the news. This is how easily the masses can be brainwashed, and I am not necdessarily saying they are, but I am saying how easy it is to do that.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2022, 5:25 pm

Jakki wrote:
Can sure agree with TV and news triggers of PTSD stuff. . . . . And. I do think that many people whom are on the spectrum are rather trusting , sometimes to the point of being naive.
( but personally , to a certain degree am almost content with naïveté.) 8O

I can barely watch "regular" TV or movies without worrying about triggers.
I have to avoid them or prescreen very carefully because of PTSD.

News would throw me over the edge.

I'm already about to freak out because I read the Uvalde link and the Trophy Hunter link.
This was after being accosted by a group of Pro-Lifers outside, two hours ago.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2022, 5:48 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Jakki wrote:
Can sure agree with TV and news triggers of PTSD stuff. . . . . And. I do think that many people whom are on the spectrum are rather trusting , sometimes to the point of being naive.

I'm already about to freak out because I read the Uvalde link and the Trophy Hunter link.

I’ve found that stuff doesn’t even have to be directly related to my trauma for it to be triggering. It just needs to trigger specific emotions. It’s really tough.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2022, 5:49 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Jakki wrote:

One thing that I reccomend to anyone anywhere who is stressed or depressed etc , is to take a break from watching the news as if one is to be honest, it generally makes little or no difference to ones everyday life if one hasn't watched it, and if one has it mentally adds stress by its nature that bad news sells. This in itself makes people think that times are terrible when things are not as bad as they seem.

Think of it from this point of view. Many people are living their lives in fear through what they see in the media, when if they took a walk tnrough fields or woods and just looked around them... Looked at the birds and insects just enjoying doing tneir own thing living in their own little world and the cattle enjoying their mouthfulls of grass and whatever else they find to eat... And life is really good, peaceful and calm.
Enter ones house and just watch the news and one is not peaceful and calm. Doesn't this tell you something? Doesn't this show that even if there is no hidden agenda one is still being bombarded with things that do not matter to ones own little world and even if they did, one can deal with that as it arrives. One will be in a better position mentally to deal with things if one deals with it as it arrives rather than spending day in, day out living in fear of what "Might" happen.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2022, 6:31 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Jakki wrote:

One thing that I reccomend to anyone anywhere who is stressed or depressed etc , is to take a break from watching the news as if one is to be honest, it generally makes little or no difference to ones everyday life if one hasn't watched it, and if one has it mentally adds stress by its nature that bad news sells. This in itself makes people think that times are terrible when things are not as bad as they seem.

Think of it from this point of view. Many people are living their lives in fear through what they see in the media, when if they took a walk tnrough fields or woods and just looked around them... Looked at the birds and insects just enjoying doing tneir own thing living in their own little world and the cattle enjoying their mouthfulls of grass and whatever else they find to eat... And life is really good, peaceful and calm.
Enter ones house and just watch the news and one is not peaceful and calm. Doesn't this tell you something? Doesn't this show that even if there is no hidden agenda one is still being bombarded with things that do not matter to ones own little world and even if they did, one can deal with that as it arrives. One will be in a better position mentally to deal with things if one deals with it as it arrives rather than spending day in, day out living in fear of what "Might" happen.

This could be helpful for some people although the issues that we’ve been talking about are PTSD related. The struggle is less about worrying about what might happen and more about reliving past, extreme trauma.

Some of us with PTSD, like Isabella and myself, do not watch the news.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2022, 7:08 pm

Well, a country I live in but know nothing about, the mercantilist Communist China with easily brainwashed citizens (despite their allegedly superior intellects) will rule the world while collapsing.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2022, 7:11 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
Well, a country I live in but know nothing about, the mercantilist Communist China with easily brainwashed citizens (despite their allegedly superior intellects) will rule the world while collapsing.

Have you tried watching the BBC? CNN? News Corp? I'm sure they inform me with no agendas whatsoever. The truth is always exactly between what CCN and News Corp tell me and when they agree you know it's always pure truth and never an agenda.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2022, 7:14 pm

I have been told from someone who I have shared past experiences with that I have had that a couple of times and its effects take years to subside. Never let any doctors or healthcare people know as it wasn't an acceptable thing unless one has been an ex.soldier etc. For some reason for us men we are not supposed to show weaknesses as it is not something men are supposed to do.
I also come from a background where grandmothers on both sides (And actually for good reason too) went out of their way to tell me "Never mention to doctors anything relating to anything mental". My one grandmothers life was messed up because she once happened to mention she was feeling depressed and she quickly became addicted to medication and took her years to get off the stuff, and the medication changed its name and was offered to her by another doctor and she was hooked again and a decade or so later the exact same thing happened yet again when the exact same medication had another name change due to its past bad reputation, and again she became like a zombie with another adddiction to it. The medication was once known as "Purple hearts" which was a so-called miriacle pill.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2022, 8:12 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:

Have you tried watching the BBC? CNN? News Corp? I'm sure they inform me with no agendas whatsoever. The truth is always exactly between what CCN and News Corp tell me and when they agree you know it's always pure truth and never an agenda.

I think you need to do some more research on the BBC as I am sorry to say that they have a very bad padt reputation for both fabricating news and for their political orinetated slant.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2022, 8:26 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:

I think you need to do some more research on the BBC as I am sorry to say that they have a very bad padt reputation for both fabricating news and for their political orinetated slant.

Where did you get your research from and how do you know it’s trustworthy?

I doubt they are fabricating stories.

Nothing is going to be completely bias free. We are all human, including the people who work on TV. They do try to get ratings to make money. For this reason, some people focus on the facts and ignore the commentary, thus drawing their own conclusions based on the facts.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 07 Jul 2022, 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2022, 8:29 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
I have been told from someone who I have shared past experiences with that I have had that a couple of times and its effects take years to subside. Never let any doctors or healthcare people know as it wasn't an acceptable thing unless one has been an ex.soldier etc. For some reason for us men we are not supposed to show weaknesses as it is not something men are supposed to do.
I also come from a background where grandmothers on both sides (And actually for good reason too) went out of their way to tell me "Never mention to doctors anything relating to anything mental". My one grandmothers life was messed up because she once happened to mention she was feeling depressed and she quickly became addicted to medication and took her years to get off the stuff, and the medication changed its name and was offered to her by another doctor and she was hooked again and a decade or so later the exact same thing happened yet again when the exact same medication had another name change due to its past bad reputation, and again she became like a zombie with another adddiction to it. The medication was once known as "Purple hearts" which was a so-called miriacle pill.

Maybe you should talk to someone. Medication and mental health treatment in general are much different than they used to be.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2022, 8:40 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:

Where did you get your research from and how do you know it’s trustworthy?

A. If need to explain, FXE made a satire.
B. This does not even require any research. Compare the BBC's report on international affairs with the true statements of the residents of the reported countries.

BBC even added more gray filters to the footage from China in its English version than in its Chinese version. Literally.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2022, 8:41 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:

All of them have flaws because even ones that are really good in many objective ways can't remove cultural biases and similar.

It's like how people who live with pets and/or smoke indoors often have homes that smell strongly of their pets and/or smoke, they just stop noticing because it's normal to them. You have to be aware of something in order to notice it, as obvious as it sounds you can't notice what you don't notice and this inability to be aware of what we're not aware of, to understand how what we don't know might be relevant, etc contributes to not being able to filter out biases.

Also, I figure if my sarcastic tone in that earlier post was over-the-top obvious. I don't consider those sources to be unbiased even if there's topics they report decently on as well. I'm mocking the idea that they're unbiased.

I generally try to rely on a lot of sources to try to examine where their biases lay and sometimes even ones that get treated as having opposite biases (say on domestic issues that are viewed as partisan) will turn out to have tightly aligned biases on other issues (say like hawkishness towards this or that regime).

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jul 2022, 9:45 pm

Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
I actually learned that I have to avoid the news entirely. It triggers my PTSD. Even if a topic seems safe, they suddenly go to another or have a headline scrolling, and then “bam,” I’ve got nightmares, insomnia, and anxiety for weeks - even worse than usual. It’s been a huge problem for me over the years.

Most of my news comes from my family, which is still Fox News, actually. LOL I can’t win.
I usually skip the TV news and go straight to "Jeopardy!".

I no longer trust US, Canadian, UK, or Ozzie newscasts. When I still had cable, I’d watch the English broadcast of Deutsche Welle, as well as the English broadcast of NHK. Unfortunately, DW and NHK, as far as I can tell, don’t stream their English newscast.

As for print media, I prefer the Associated Press, as well as Reuters.

I prefer those services, since they, don’t fall into the trap that Dr. Ron Childers, longtime professor of library science at the School of Information Studies at Drexel University in Philadelphia, where only a very few companies control both content and conduit.

Lately, the TV I do watch are the various cartoon channels (Cartoon Network/Boomerang, CITV, Pop (UK), and the retro channels (METV, Cozi, and ITV4), as I can’t stand what currently passes for entertainment on modern TV networks.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2022, 9:46 pm

MuddRM wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
I actually learned that I have to avoid the news entirely. It triggers my PTSD. Even if a topic seems safe, they suddenly go to another or have a headline scrolling, and then “bam,” I’ve got nightmares, insomnia, and anxiety for weeks - even worse than usual. It’s been a huge problem for me over the years.

Most of my news comes from my family, which is still Fox News, actually. LOL I can’t win.
I usually skip the TV news and go straight to "Jeopardy!".

I no longer trust US, Canadian, UK, or Ozzie newscasts. When I still had cable, I’d watch the English broadcast of Deutsche Welle, as well as the English broadcast of NHK. Unfortunately, DW and NHK, as far as I can tell, don’t stream their English newscast.

As for print media, I prefer the Associated Press, as well as Reuters.

I prefer those services, since they, don’t fall into the trap that Dr. Ron Childers, longtime professor of library science at the School of Information Studies at Drexel University in Philadelphia, where only a very few companies control both content and conduit.

Lately, the TV I do watch are the various cartoon channels (Cartoon Network/Boomerang, CITV, Pop (UK), and the retro channels (METV, Cozi, and ITV4), as I can’t stand what currently passes for entertainment on modern TV networks.

Which cartoons do you watch?

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jul 2022, 12:00 am

Twilightprincess wrote:

Which cartoons do you watch?

Frankly, I’m not really watching, since those channels I have on as background noise on my iPad while I attempt to recover what I lost in Apple Music from cd. (And I have over 1000 cds, mostly classical, opera, Broadway and West End London shows, big band jazz, oratorio, and comedy in music (Peter Schickele/PDQ Bach/Hoffnung/Spike Jones)