Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 3:36 pm

Quote:
I relate better to people when I've experienced a similar situation

Quote:
I am more empathetic or understanding when I have experienced a similar situation

Quote:
I seem to have less empathy than others if I haven’t experienced the event in which empathy is appropriate.

It's mostly the same for most NTs. That's why most don't understand our sensory issues or other autism-related things that they don't usually have. I say "usually", because everyone on the planet has experienced a sensory issue reaction to some sort of stimuli, but most NTs can't even use that to put themselves in our shoes. And empathy means understanding and putting oneself into another's shoes, so...

I'm not saying NTs lack empathy, but I'm just saying that empathy is actually no different in either party, and that it boils more down to personality and experience than whether you're NT or not.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 4:01 pm

Like the second post to this thread by Kalanka.

But have to say if you wish to see empathy in the wild . You need to be brave enough to try to express it in public ,
You maybe surprised , that sometimes it is what others need to see, to be comfortable in expressing similiar sentiments . And maybe it will grow , to other people . This goes beyond a feeling and maybe extends itself to a concept ? . That might spread in some small way ?

where ever you go ,there you are

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 4:11 pm

Jakki wrote:

But have to say if you wish to see empathy in the wild . You need to be brave enough to try to express it in public ,
You maybe surprised , that sometimes it is what others need to see, to be comfortable in expressing similiar sentiments . And maybe it will grow , to other people . This goes beyond a feeling and maybe extends itself to a concept ? . That might spread in some small way ?

I don't quite understand what you mean? Could you dumb it down just a little?

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 6:13 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Jakki wrote:

I don't quite understand what you mean? Could you dumb it down just a little?

I'm glaringly obviously not Jakki :lol: but I'll give it a shot as a way of finding out whether I'm getting the idea ...

"If you want to see it, be it."

As in if you take action and express empathy, however flawless or not your expression of empathy is, other people may see you expressing empathy and go, "Oh, yeah, maybe expressing empathy is the thing to do here and I should do it too."

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 7:28 pm

I feel like it’s better to obviously commiserate with a person than it is to slough that person off.

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jul 2022, 7:52 pm

Joe90 wrote:
...It's mostly the same for most NTs. That's why most don't understand our sensory issues or other autism-related things that they don't usually have....

This is why it's so important to have books and other 1st-hand accounts out there written by autistic people. At least then the people who do care will have a better shot at understanding.

For example, I *knew* my son was afraid of dogs, but I couldn't really understand why until I happened to read another autistic person's account of why they were afraid of dogs, which in turn helped me address my son's fear. Now he can pet dogs and doesn't run away from them.

More understanding=more better.