Page 4 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 8:06 am

While trying to catch up on what Alex Jones may have added to his one-man clown act, I came across this:

How the Georgia Guidestones became a magnet for conspiracy theorists 

In early 2005, a conspiracy theorist writing under the pseudonym John Conner decided he needed to warn the public about the alleged evils of a roadside tourist attraction in northeastern Georgia.

"The Guidestones should be smashed into a million pieces, and then the rubble used for a construction project," Conner wrote in part on his website, according to archival news reports. "The Guidestones have a deep Satanic origin and message."

Seventeen years later, Conner -- better known today as right-wing provocateur and pro-Trump YouTube personality Mark Dice -- got part of his wish.

In recent years, the Guidestones became a recurring symbol in the QAnon conspiracy movement, the subject of videos and other digital content that baselessly linked them to the Covid pandemic and a fictional cabal of sex traffickers.

Alex Jones, the incendiary conspiracist and Infowars host, visited the attraction in 2020 and called it "the birthplace of the modern depopulation movement," referring to an inscription on the granite that called for keeping the Earth's population under 500 million.

Kandiss Taylor, a conservative Republican who ran for the Georgia gubernatorial nomination and placed third in the state's May 24 primary, claimed the slabs of granite were satanic and made tearing them down a key pillar of her platform.

At least they are not blowing up libraries and burning books . . . yet.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 8:20 am

The Guidestones were more New Age than satanic. There were no pentagrams, no horns, nothing; just stupidity.

I'm still happy they're gone. I hope the granite will be used to repave local roads, rather than get taken to a landfill.

If they get rebuilt, I hope they'll have more up-to-date messages, like "Don't trust government health agencies."

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 8:30 am

The Guidestones' message was simple:

Ten Guides for The New Age of Reason

Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.
Guide reproduction wisely -- improving fitness and diversity.
Unite humanity with a living new language.
Rule passion -- faith -- tradition -- and all things with tempered reason.
Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.
Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court.
Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
Balance personal rights with social duties.
Prize truth -- beauty -- love -- seeking harmony with the infinite.
Be not a cancer on the Earth -- Leave room for nature -- Leave room for nature.

They should have included: "Do not rely on the ravings of conspiracy theorists."

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 8:32 am

Aspie1 wrote:
The Guidestones were more New Age than satanic. There were no pentagrams, no horns, nothing; just stupidity.

I'm still happy they're gone. I hope the granite will be used to repave local roads, rather than get taken to a landfill.

If they get rebuilt, I hope they'll have more up-to-date messages, like "Don't trust government health agencies."

If they rebuild them, they will try to make them as close to the original as possible. That’s standard procedure when it cones to rebuilding/reconstructing art.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 8:38 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
If they rebuild them, they will try to make them as close to the original as possible. That’s standard procedure when it cones to rebuilding/reconstructing art.
You can still keep the original architecture, which I reluctantly admit looked nice. You just update the writings to 2022 standards.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 8:41 am

Aspie1 wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
You can still keep the original architecture, which I reluctantly admit looked nice. You just update the writings to 2022 standards.

That would still be changing them. It’s just not done with art and shouldn’t be. You’ll have to deal with the fact that they say stuff that you disagree with.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 8:44 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
That would still be changing them. It’s just not done with art and shouldn’t be. You’ll have to deal with the fact that they say stuff that you disagree with.
You mean like the Christopher Columbus statues in public parks? ;)

Last edited by Aspie1 on 10 Jul 2022, 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 8:50 am

Aspie1 wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
You mean like the Christopher Columbus statues in public parks? ;)

I’m not claiming that they necessarily should have removed them, but they were less important from an artistic and creative standpoint. It would be less important to rebuild exact replicas of them.

They were standard (not first rate) statues and not particularly original, creative, or old.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 11:06 am

Aspie1 wrote:

Nothing is stopping you from building your very own with your message.
Now get a slab of rock, a rock chisel and get to work on it.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 12:40 am

Aspiegaming wrote:
We are heading towards an age of unreason where political violence is viewed as the Fine Ol' Solution.

We've been in that for the last five thousand years!