Is it normal for some autistic people to be negative?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

catpiecakebutter
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jul 2022, 9:30 pm

I'm very negative when it comes to getting a job. I read online 85 percent of autistic people are unemployed: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.5089780
I hate it when one of my friends says the expression "you never know" to me about me getting a job because I do have an idea that I won't based on past experiences and she says I'm negative. But she can't change me. Is it normal for some autistic people to be negative?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2022, 9:56 pm

some autistics are more negative than others

some neurotypicals are more negative than others

i tend to be biased toward the negative, and i am autistic.

for a long time, i had zero jobs. before job interviews, neurotypicals sometimes said things like "if you get the job" and "good luck."

n = 1 is not a representative sample

not a controlled experiment

you can't measure positivity

besides, what is realistic or reasonable is different in every situation. what is reasonable is subjective.

for me (n = 1), it seems like i have had a much harder time getting jobs, and not getting made redundant, than neurotypicals. on the other hand, there are many factors that are different in the situations, not just autism.

pattern recognition

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2022, 10:02 pm

Some are negative and some are positive. It also depends on what type of day the person is having.

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jul 2022, 12:16 am

There are positive and negative people. Autism doesn't give you immunity from either mindset.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2022, 5:42 am

There's a difference between negative and realistic, and what you mention might be more realistic than negative when it comes to you (you'd have the best idea for that one). No, no one ever fully knows, but someone can have a pretty good idea. As others have said, we all have our own negativity and positivity scale, and it'll move more one way than the other depending on many variables.

I'm maybe more positive and optimistic than I should be with it all.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2022, 8:19 am

Isn't it natural that autistic people tend to be negative because of many bad life experiences caused by being autistic? I am certainly negative because I've been treated very badly by many people throughout my life. I'm very cynical and pessimistic. When it comes to employment, I feel getting a job is nearly impossible and if I do get one, then keeping it is nearly impossible. I feel life is meant to be hard because I'm surrounded by evil people.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2022, 8:21 am

It is normal for some people to be negative.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2022, 8:39 am

Hm.

Could be many things.

Sensory dysregulation. Emotional dysregulation. Hormonal imbalances. Lost in translation. Unmet needs. Unfulfillment. Grudges. Frustrations. Unexpressed expressions. Resentment. Complex trauma. Acute trauma. Mental illnesses.

Now, I myself don't even know why I'm a pessimist.
I've been one of those angry and violent types for as long as I could remember despite being really lucky, I remain someone ungrateful.

Both of my parents have a certain temper -- thought it just runs in the family and I happened to just express it differently.
Maybe genetics, maybe generational upbringing or trauma.

Really, there's an already disturbing trend about narcissistic parents and ND children.
So I dunno...
And the world's already going to directions for the human kind to keep up that many would just fall through certain cracks and others not so much, so there's that.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2022, 9:43 am

catpiecakebutter wrote:
I'm very negative when it comes to getting a job. I read online 85 percent of autistic people are unemployed: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.5089780
I hate it when one of my friends says the expression "you never know" to me about me getting a job because I do have an idea that I won't based on past experiences and she says I'm negative. But she can't change me. Is it normal for some autistic people to be negative?

I dunno. I know that I'm quite an optimistic person. I don't know if that makes me a positive person. I can certainly have negative moments.

I have dealt with autistic people (not on this site) who you just can't help because they are negative. Like when they have a problem and you try to help them and the response is always "yeah but".

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2022, 10:17 am

I try to look at the "bright side" of things. I don't always succeed.

To be consistently negative, to me, is totally counterproductive.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 11:29 am

temp1234 wrote:
Isn't it natural that autistic people tend to be negative because of many bad life experiences caused by being autistic? I am certainly negative because I've been treated very badly by many people throughout my life. I'm very cynical and pessimistic. When it comes to employment, I feel getting a job is nearly impossible and if I do get one, then keeping it is nearly impossible. I feel life is meant to be hard because I'm surrounded by evil people.
Yes to this!

Wreck It Ralph

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 12:23 pm

It's common for anyone to be negative, in a world with coronaviruses and Vladimir Putins and climate change, etc.