Things are getting rough at work, ready to go elsewhere

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

angelofdarkness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jul 2022, 4:25 am

I used to really like working at the thrift store I've been working at, even got promoted to full time so I felt appreciated for awhile. But when the store manager had to be out for a few months for surgery, and the assistant manger was in charge those two months things were pretty rough and my mental health took a dive. The assistant only seemed to care about herself and was making me and one other girl pretty much do everything, while she stood around for how long and talked to customers or just slacked off. Things were okay for a bit, when the store manager came back, however she has to leave for her health, and the assistant's taking over. I can already tell by her attitude, it's most likely best for myself to leave and have already started applying for jobs. I don't think it's right to treat her employees like she seems to be going to, or bring her personal life into work. Seems for the best I already start looking for other work even if it may take me a little while to find something most likely.

chealy5
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Jul 2022, 6:53 am

Yes, unfortunately people get into management who have no business being in leadership. I’ve run into far too many like the person you describe. I think your course of action is sound, keep working while looking for a job elsewhere. It’s possible your manager’s actions can make life there difficult while you are job hunting, but if there’s any way you can keep working there until you start a new position, I highly recommend doing so. It’s less stressful in the long run and will look better on your resume.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2022, 8:56 am

Some employees are just harder to interact with than others

And your job plans might be justified

However, I have gone to numerous job interviews

Sometimes the job interviewer does not interact with me after the job interview, even though I got the job. ( Example:. Legoland)

Sometimes the job interviewer is the only one in the company that I interact with. (Example:. Real estate intern)

Sometimes employees change jobs. (Example:. For over one month, my plantation did not have a Front End Supervisor. Then they hired a rude, ghettoass dim witted Front End Supervisor)

Sometimes employees change personality. Due to brain damage, emotional trauma, psychiatric illness. Someone said she got her first manic episode at age 65

So.

Changing jobs could be good, bad, both, or neither

However sometimes you don't meet your manager, supervisor, or coworkers until you are clocked in for work

That's what I hate.

When I worked for a temp agency, the only one I interacted with before starting the job was the temp agency human resources. That was the only interaction I had with that one person.

(It was the same thing when I went apartment hunting in undergrad). Each time, I only interacted with the landlord for a couple of minutes, one time. And then I moved in. (Not a representative sample)

angelofdarkness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jul 2022, 2:16 pm

chealy5 wrote:
Yes, unfortunately people get into management who have no business being in leadership. I’ve run into far too many like the person you describe. I think your course of action is sound, keep working while looking for a job elsewhere. It’s possible your manager’s actions can make life there difficult while you are job hunting, but if there’s any way you can keep working there until you start a new position, I highly recommend doing so. It’s less stressful in the long run and will look better on your resume.

naturally I'll keep working with bills to pay and just keeping out of the house even. It might just take a little bit unless i wanted to get hired on at a factory through a temp agency as I want to keep working full time, and not step down to part time. I tried working two part time jobs once and that didn't go well at all I ended up seriously burning out with health problems at the time