Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 10:16 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'm on the pea pod side of the Pro-Lifers. Life is a gift from God that should be enjoyed by all.

If your claim about "should" is your only help for their "enjoyed", this sentence sounds to me a kind of religious malice.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 12:34 am

funeralxempire wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
Life is a gift from God that should be enjoyed by all.

It's hard to enjoy something that's been imposed against one's preferences.

Also, you're still living somewhere where, if you get raped you will be able to seek termination so be thankful your rights are still protected.

I joked with my mother's doctor that maybe my mum was pregnant (age 83 and just out of critical care).
My mother said "Oh my goodness and I wouldn't be allowed an abortion!"

I was never so glad as when my doctor said "That's only in America. I'd write you a prescription".

Whew. So lovely to hear we have choice.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 12:46 am

ilovepalmtrees wrote:
I no longer call those people "pro-life". I call them "pro-birth". If they were really pro-life, they would advocate for universal healthcare, living wages so it would actually be affordable to have a kid, quality education for everyone, OTC and easily accessible birth control, criminal justice reform, reducing climate change, etc.

Yes. The data shows we can make elective abortion a thing of the best with compassionate measures. Which begs the question, why won't politicians in the US "red" states ever apply that approach? It's beyond frustrating.

Last edited by DW_a_mom on 10 Jul 2022, 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 1:01 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'm on the pea pod side of the Pro-Lifers. Life is a gift from God that should be enjoyed by all.

I agree in concept, but, in my experience, real life isn't that simple. I've heard far too many heart breaking stories over the years, and the end sum of it is that the law is the wrong tool for reducing the incidence of abortion. It is impossible to draft a law that could ever balance and address all the conflicting medical considerations that arise in complicated pregnancies, yet those complicated pregnancies are a huge percentage of abortions. Women will die because of the laws some states are putting on their books, with no new life being offered as a gift in exchange. Not all pregnancies are meant to become babies. 10-15% miscarry early in the pregnancy. 1-3% of fetuses that don't miscarry are non-the-less incompatible with life and will never survive outside the womb. The US also has the highest maternal mortality rate in the industrialized world. Pregnancy and birth are very risky ventures for both mothers and babies. I really hate tying doctor's hands with bad laws when data shows more compassionate programs can do a much better job of honoring the gift of life.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 1:24 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Also, you're still living somewhere where, if you get raped you will be able to seek termination so be thankful your rights are still protected.

I joked with my mother's doctor that maybe my mum was pregnant (age 83 and just out of critical care).

I was never so glad as when my doctor said "That's only in America. I'd write you a prescription".

I didn't realize an 83 year old woman could swing a sledgehammer that massive. :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 1:28 am

Not sure how you can be "pro-life" and be armed??

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 2:25 am

cyberdad wrote:
Not sure how you can be "pro-life" and be armed??

The entire concept of "pro-life" has become so corrupted and mixed with politics here in the US that it makes no sense anymore at all.

The original pro-life paper by Pope John Paul was actually rather beautiful and consistent.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 6:56 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
The original pro-life paper by Pope John Paul was actually rather beautiful and consistent.

Really! 8O

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 9:25 am

funeralxempire wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

I didn't realize an 83 year old woman could swing a sledgehammer that massive. :lol:

It's impossible for a 83 year old to get pregnant. They are not ovulating anymore. I used to think it was because we run out of eggs but nope, our hormones just decline so that is why a menopause happens.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 1:10 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
The ironic thing is that Pro-Lifers get their choice.
If they don't want an abortion they don't have to have one.
They believe in the freedom of their choice, but no one else's.

They've always believed in that. These are the people who want to pass strict laws for everyone else but act surprised when a rule tells them to put on a mask.

The people who want strict laws to control women/minorities/poor people, when confronted with a law that actually applies to them, start shouting about their rights as if the law actually preventing a person from doing something is now a foreign concept to them.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 1:13 am

League_Girl wrote:
It's impossible for a 83 year old to get pregnant. They are not ovulating anymore. I used to think it was because we run out of eggs but nope, our hormones just decline so that is why a menopause happens.

I thought I got the joke and didn't need it explained. :oops:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 2:04 am

funeralxempire wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Do tell Image

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 8:50 pm

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Do tell Image

I'm saying part of what made it funny was that she was 83 and didn't actually need to worry about becoming pregnant, she knows that and she's shaming antichoicers with her joke.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う