Page 2 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 11:28 am

Two main types of talkative people drain me.

• People who continue to express their enthusiasm for a cause long after I have already expressed my own support.

• People who avoid doing something about a problem by continuously expressing their feelings about the problem.

In either case, they seem to believe that expressing themselves is more important than anything else.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 11:29 am

babybird wrote:
Yeah I used to know someone who would do that. They would start off and just keep going and going and going. Monotone voice as well.

I I just couldn't handle it. He was quite a popular person as well so I just put it down to me having the problem.

Yeah, I had a friend similar to that. We used to have very long phonecalls.....I enjoyed chatting to her, but couldn't handle the lengthy calls. I used to be in tears during our calls because I couldn't handle it! She never knew as she was a very sensitive soul and I didn't want to hurt her feelings.

I put myself first now. :twisted:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 1:38 pm

Fnord wrote:

• People who continue to express their enthusiasm for a cause long after I have already expressed my own support.

• People who avoid doing something about a problem by continuously expressing their feelings about the problem.

In either case, they seem to believe that expressing themselves is more important than anything else.

Very well put indeed!

I've known so many people of the 2nd type. People who moan about the problem e.g. hating their job, but never applying for another job or changing their circumstances. It is repetitive.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 1:40 pm

Where_am_I wrote:
Yeah, I had a friend similar to that. We used to have very long phonecalls.....I enjoyed chatting to her, but couldn't handle the lengthy calls. I used to be in tears during our calls because I couldn't handle it! She never knew as she was a very sensitive soul and I didn't want to hurt her feelings.

I put myself first now. :twisted:

Same here. I just used to interrupt her because she never took a breath. I'd say 'I have to go now, time for dinner, bye.' I got so fed up with her rambling on about herself that I actually said 'can we talk about people IIII know sometimes? And things IIII enjoy?' Because all she did was woffle on about people I didn't know and didn't care about, wanting my opinion on them and when I gave it she would argue with me.

I lost touch with her years ago now!

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 1:43 pm

I'm just recovering from over a day of mental chaos from being polite around a senile woman who took forever to get around to her point, and had to slowly search for words the whole time. Her point had nothing to do with the meeting at large; she was just old friends with some present, and wanted to catch them up.
I once had a helper who would regularly destroy my train of thought on what we should do next. We were using two rooms, and whenever he could see me, it was just like having a radio turned on to whatever he had been thinking of while doing the routine work.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 10:23 pm

Talkative people agitate me.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jul 2022, 10:42 pm

Nobody seems to have mentioned that some of those irritating talkative people are probably autistic....

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 8:17 am

ThisTimelessMoment wrote:
Nobody seems to have mentioned that some of those irritating talkative people are probably autistic....

The ones I mean are extroverts who think the world revolves around them. Very loud and animated types. Could they be autistic?

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 8:21 am

Fnord wrote:

Thinking about that again, I realise I'm probably the type 1 of these people. When I like something, I REALLY like it passionately. Until I lose interest in it and move on.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 8:32 am

Funny, I have a lot of these traits listed in this thread. :?

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jul 2022, 2:23 pm

^ indeed! I know I can rattle on about s**t nobody is interested in. I have definitely autistic friends who take an enormous amount of energy because they struggle to understand boundaries. Some of them are learning as I learn to communicate better.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 3:01 pm

angelofdarkness wrote:
Does anyone else, get overly drained by being around too many people, or just someone who talks a lot? A coworker of mine will just talk about whatever comes up in her mind, all day even if you're trying to be quiet and work. It can be a bit frustrating when she'll follow me around, trying to talk my ear off or stand around talking to customers when we have a job to do. I get extremely drained if I'm somewhere like a busy grocery store or around someone really extroverted.

what my experience is I at first play a small role in the conversation, but when fatigue sets in I become mute and just nod my head, ect. Yes it is extremely fatiguing, the worst recent example felt like the guy was putting juju on me.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 3:40 pm

The_Znof wrote:
what my experience is I at first play a small role in the conversation, but when fatigue sets in I become mute and just nod my head, ect. Yes it is extremely fatiguing, the worst recent example felt like the guy was putting juju on me.

Same here. I run out of steam.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 7:07 pm

Now see, things like ^ are why I like talkative people. All people exhaust me...I get exhausted even with quiet people, so the less I have to say, the better off I am. Let them talk...then I don't have to. Extroverts are a god send as far as I'm concerned. They carry the conversation all by themselves and all I have to do is nod here and there. Everyone wins :lol:

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 7:16 pm

Yeah, that's a symptom of autism. Some get it by just being in the presence of a single person for too long.

Some people with autism lecture or monologue incessantly when they interact socially, but it's different to normal individuals that talk a lot (I can do this when typing, but I have enough social awareness to stop myself most times).

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 2:56 am

FleaOfTheChill wrote:
Now see, things like ^ are why I like talkative people. All people exhaust me...I get exhausted even with quiet people, so the less I have to say, the better off I am. Let them talk...then I don't have to. Extroverts are a god send as far as I'm concerned. They carry the conversation all by themselves and all I have to do is nod here and there. Everyone wins :lol:

I agree, but I also have things to say when they talk about an interesting topic. But by the time I've gathered my thoughts, the fast conversation has moved on, so I end up keeping quiet and tuning out.

Even when I do talk, the 'reply' is usually laughing. No idea why. It happens a lot. I say something, people stare wide eyed, then burst out laughing. Or they say 'oh you are funny!' when I wasn't trying to be funny.

I've also been told I'm very 'to the point'. If only they knew how much I was holding back and being tactful. I often think, what if I said what I REALLY thought and didn't hold back? I will do that one day and they will collapse. :lol: