Misslizard wrote:
How would it deal with a large booger?
Snort it out?

Uses it's metatarsus

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 8:25 am

It would be interesting to study the evolutionary process which led to T-Rex having short arms. What "natural selection" gave the advantage to bipedalism?

Think about an ostrich. They have virtually useless wings (which might be equivalent to the "short arms" of a T-Rex), and their primary mode of locomotion is bipedal. They go pretty fast on the savannah, and those legs are excellent weapons, too.

Maybe T-Rex was on that evolutionary path?

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 11 Jul 2022, 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 8:30 am

cyberdad wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Snort it out?

Uses it's metatarsus

Please this is a family forum.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 11:04 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It would be interesting to study the evolutionary process which led to T-Rex having short arms. What "natural selection" gave the advantage to bipedalism?

Think about an ostrich. They have virtually useless wings (which might be equivalent to the "short arms" of a T-Rex), and their primary mode of locomotion is bipedal. They go pretty fast on the savannah, and those legs are excellent weapons, too.

That's an interesting idea. Maybe the T-Rex is the direct ancestor of the ostrich. In which case, I'm keeping well out of the way of ostriches! :lol:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 2:03 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Snort it out?

Uses it's metatarsus

Not even the toe bones, but the bones of its instep? To pick it nose? Doubt it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 2:06 pm

KitLily wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

That's an interesting idea. Maybe the T-Rex is the direct ancestor of the ostrich. In which case, I'm keeping well out of the way of ostriches! :lol:

The could have independently evolved the same trait. Though ostritches are descended from the same critters as all birds which are small two legged carnivorous dinosaurs related to, and contemporary with T-rex.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 8:14 am

naturalplastic wrote:

The could have independently evolved the same trait. Though ostritches are descended from the same critters as all birds which are small two legged carnivorous dinosaurs related to, and contemporary with T-rex.[/quote]

That is interesting! Birds are a bit scary though 8O

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 4:31 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Snort it out?

Uses it's metatarsus

Not even the toe bones, but the bones of its instep? To pick it nose? Doubt it.

It was a joke. If you look at modern birds they simply wipe their beaks on the nearest surface

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 4:35 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

My understanding is that Ostriches evolved from the same branch of dinosaurs that gave rice to raptors. A modified version took to the trees and developed feathers called archaeopteryx and they evolved into all birds we know including Ostriches.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 4:42 pm

Ostriches originated the pimp strut. :D They are also mean.My ex stupidly stuck his hand over the fence to pet one and it pecked the hell out of him.
I’m glad it did, served the idiot right.
I’d pay good money to see that again,except with more ostriches pecking and he’s inside the fence. :twisted:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 4:53 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Ostriches originated the pimp strut. :D They are also mean.My ex stupidly stuck his hand over the fence to pet one and it pecked the hell out of him.

Ostriches have evolved to be aggressive due to the plains of Africa being a somewhat dangerous place, In contrast Australian emus are relatively tame and even kids feed them. However the odd emu is enamoured by bright colours so if you have light coloured eyes you need to be careful the emu doesn't take an interest and peck.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 4:57 pm

/\Turkeys will also peck at shiny objects, rings ,rivets on jean pockets and small children’s eyes.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 5:40 pm

Modern day dinosaur problems.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 6:20 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Ostriches have evolved to be aggressive due to the plains of Africa being a somewhat dangerous place, In contrast Australian emus are relatively tame and even kids feed them. However the odd emu is enamoured by bright colours so if you have light coloured eyes you need to be careful the emu doesn't take an interest and peck.

Emus don't always take things lying down!

The emus stalemated the whole Australian army in a several years long guerrilla war! Granted the 'kill ratio' was in the humans' favor. But the emus DID take out one of the Aussies' Humvees (actually a 1930's equivalent of a humvee) in a suicide charge (kinda like Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg).

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 3:15 am

Misslizard wrote:
Modern day dinosaur problems.

It says "Video not available anymore"