Disability/Medical Designations For IDs

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 11:29 pm

Does your state or country have disability/medical designations for ID's? Have you opted to have any of these on your ID?

My state has ID designations for developmental disabilities, being deaf/hard of hearing, and as a general medical alert. When I eventually get diagnosed I think I'm going to opt to get a designation for having a developmental disability (autism).

It's only as of very recently that my state has this, so I'm wondering if other states or countries have these, too, and if other people use them.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 11:46 pm

I don't think they have that here although I've seen petitions and conversations about it.

I have a card that allows me a support person in many venues. They sometimes get free admission which is nice.

Other than that, I have my disabled parking permit, a federal disability tax credit, an ID card for wheelchair transit, and a lot of medical info stored on my phone (iPhone Medical ID, which includes all my diagnoses, doctors, psychs, and medications).

I used to wear a medic-alert bracelet but I can't stand jewellery now.

I should look into the ID again.

Yes I would use it because of PTSD and meltdowns, not to mention my stroke history.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 12:05 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I don't think they have that here although I've seen petitions and conversations about it.

I have a card that allows me a support person in many venues. They sometimes get free admission which is nice.

Other than that, I have my disabled parking permit, a federal disability tax credit, an ID card for wheelchair transit, and a lot of medical info stored on my phone (iPhone Medical ID, which includes all my diagnoses, doctors, psychs, and medications).

I should look into the ID again.

Yes I would use it because of PTSD and meltdowns, not to mention my stroke history.

I would opt to use the designation because of meltdowns/shutdowns that I have, or if a health emergency happened that somehow rendered me unable to communicate, and thus unable to mention having a DD myself.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 12:09 am

I think it's a good idea for you and I hope you can get it.

I have so many issues I don't even know what they'd put on my card.
Maybe it would have to fold out like an accordion.
ASD-2 and Mutism would be near the top of the list, but also meltdowns and shutdowns.
And a raging panic disorder.
Oh .. also SPD and PTSD.
And ADHD.
And face blindness and Alexithymia.
And police phobia.
And "You touch me or invade my space when I'm stressed, I'll kill you".

Not to mention my physical things.

All the usual suspects.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 1:19 am

I have about over 6 years ago now.

From where I came from, it exists sometime around... Google says around year 1992 when some magna carta happened in this country.

Not sure how much it changed since then.
But there already are changes since last year -- ought to renew that ID soon.
Yes, it had to be renewed even if the disability in question is permanent. Recent change was that 3 years validity is extended to 5 years.

And it's uncertain how much it is implemented. Or if it's attainable in all regions.
It's implementable in my city so far, though disorganized.

https://www.moneymax.ph/government-serv ... pplication

It has several written categories;

Quote:
PWD List of Disabilities
The Department of Health (DOH) considers the following types of disabilities as eligible for a PWD ID:

-Psychosocial disability – Includes bipolar disorder, depression, ADHD, schizophrenia, epilepsy, and other long-term and recurring mental or behavioral issues

-Disability resulting from a chronic illness – Includes orthopedic disability due to cancer, blindness due to diabetes, and other disabilities due to a chronic disease

-Learning disability – Includes processing problems that hinder learning math, reading, writing, and other basic skills

-Visual disability – Simple poor eyesight doesn’t automatically qualify a person for a PWD ID unless the visual impairment can’t be corrected. Individuals with such condition need to present a medical certificate from their ophthalmologist with a clearance of functional limitation due to poor eyesight.

-Orthopedic (Musculoskeletal) disability – Includes people with dwarfism and amputated hands or feet. Individuals with scoliosis may also apply for an ID.

-Mental/Intellectual disability
-Hearing disability
-Speech impairment
-Multiple disabilities

Autism, like developmental disability, depending on the case, may be either or both under the category of psychosocial disability or/and mental/intellectual disability.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 6:56 am

Not that I'm aware of, but I haven't really looked it up.

I have a general disability card that everyone receives for any disability if they meet the criteria. This is for concessions. It doesn't list any diagnosis/diagnoses.

I have a "this person has autism and is probably just mute, so please don't touch him" card in my wallet. I'm pretty sure I have a medical bracelet, but I don't wear that one.

Diverse4Me
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Sep 2022, 9:34 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Does your state or country have disability/medical designations for ID's? Have you opted to have any of these on your ID?

My state has ID designations for developmental disabilities, being deaf/hard of hearing, and as a general medical alert. When I eventually get diagnosed I think I'm going to opt to get a designation for having a developmental disability (autism).

It's only as of very recently that my state has this, so I'm wondering if other states or countries have these, too, and if other people use them.

Seems like a good idea, but yeah, I experience enough Ableism as is. I have a physical disability that very occasionally can affect my mental/logical capacity on top of ASD. So often once you mention disability I see people's eyes glaze over and attitude becomes less receptive rather than the hoped for opposite.

IsabellaLinton wrote:

Hey, you could get a tattoo!

ASD2, ADHD, Anxiety, Depression etc

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 3:12 pm

I think IDs are a good idea. I'm thinking of getting one.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 3:17 pm

Its an option in my state, but I don't have any on my ID. It makes me feel more like a target, than a helpful thing. People are almost always going to draw mistaken impressions and Folks on the spectrum get enough hassles and ill-treatment as it is without drawing more negative attention from the police here.

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 3:28 pm

My state doesn't have anything like that and I don't think I would want it on my license. I wouldn't want everyone who looked at my license to be able to see that even if it was in some "code". I also would feel very nervous about the department of motor vehicles having that on record as they may then at some point decide that that is a liability for driving.

A separate alert card is a different matter and there are even organizations which offer them for free as well as countless companies and individuals making custom medical alert cards and other products.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2022, 6:30 pm

My state offers a disabled state ID card. My designation is D20, with D for developmental disability, 2 meaning it prevents me from working for a living, and 0 meaning I can walk 200 feet without help. It also says “disabled” in the bottom right hand corner.