Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 7:22 pm

I just noticed that there aren’t any forum rules stickied in L&D like there are in some of the other boards. I think it could be useful or perhaps a deterrent for people who want to make sexist remarks and generalizations. (Then again, maybe not.)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 8:28 pm

Good point.

It seems many of the threads belong in Adult since they're about people looking for hookups.

I've also seen posts which insult or attack groups of people (women, virgin men, sometimes all men).

I thought that was against the rules.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 8:58 pm

The sweeping generalizations and belittlement of other people’s (or an entire gender’s) experiences is a problem.

I don’t have an issue with venting, but the sexist remarks are not necessary.

I think it would be helpful to have clear rules sticked with, perhaps, some examples, like I’ve seen in some of the other forum rules, so there’s no confusion about what is or isn’t appropriate.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 9:20 pm

It is assumed that the rules posted in any one forum or sub-forum apply to all the fora and sub-fora on this website, even though they as more strictly enforced in The Haven, and less strictly enforced in PP&R.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 9:25 pm

Fnord wrote:
It is assumed that the rules posted in any one forum or sub-forum apply to all the fora and sub-fora on this website, even though they as more strictly enforced in The Haven, and less strictly enforced in PP&R.

PPR and The Haven have clear guidelines stickied that are especially appropriate for those boards. I think L&D should have something similar because it has clear, recurring problems.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 10:51 pm

A lot of Aspie men are obsessed with virginity and girls and sex. L&D is generally just a testosterone warzone.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 10:58 pm

Joe90 wrote:
A lot of Aspie men are obsessed with virginity and girls and sex. L&D is generally just a testosterone warzone.

I think the problem is more about specific posters dominating the board with their sexist theories. Everyone should feel welcome there, but this is not the case.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

11 Jul 2022, 6:01 am

A set of L&D guidelines, in the style of those for PPR and The Haven, is an excellent idea - that forum clearly needs extra direction and a deterrent for certain types of post.

I think you're all better positioned than many and have some good and very clear views on acceptable content in L&D.

Would you like to put your heads together and create some guidelines? In public or privately via PM - it's up to you.
We would seriously consider what you can offer.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 6:52 am

Well, if you want to fight those attitudes wouldnt it be better to let someone express them and then correct them?

If you post rules saying no sexism or generalizations..then someone is harbouring those thoughts..they would keep them to themselves and maybe talk about those thoughts with others but not be able to learn directly from women.

This is a good place to get input and women's opinions on things.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 7:44 am

klanka wrote:
Well, if you want to fight those attitudes wouldnt it be better to let someone express them and then correct them?

No.

It gets exhausting saying the same thing over and over again. People are not always going to have the time or energy to deal with it. It would be a lot easier to refer them to the guidelines and then report. I’m not always entirely certain if a post crosses a line.

Also, opinions are difficult to change. We keep on having the same conversations with the same people. It’s mostly just a huge waste of time. I think bad attitudes can become special interests sometimes.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 7:46 am

Cornflake wrote:
Would you like to put your heads together and create some guidelines? In public or privately via PM - it's up to you.
We would seriously consider what you can offer.

I would like that, but I’m not going to have much time over the next few days because I’m going on a trip.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

11 Jul 2022, 8:15 am

^ Ok, thanks; no worries - there's no immediate urgency.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 8:16 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Would you like to put your heads together and create some guidelines? In public or privately via PM - it's up to you.  We would seriously consider what you can offer.
I would like that, but I’m not going to have much time over the next few days because I’m going on a trip.
Can anyone put in their Cr0.02?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 8:27 am

Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Would you like to put your heads together and create some guidelines? In public or privately via PM - it's up to you.  We would seriously consider what you can offer.

I don’t know what that means.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 11 Jul 2022, 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 8:31 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
It means, "Can anyone contribute?"

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 8:33 am

Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
It means, "Can anyone contribute?"

Of course!

Maybe we should have a thread dedicated to that specifically or just add ideas here.