Does anyone else struggle with impulsivity?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

sohil142003
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jul 2022, 9:33 pm

I feel like I’m very impulsive and always do things I regret. Can anyone else relate?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 10:31 pm

Yes.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 10:48 pm

My main ADHD trait.

sohil142003
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jul 2022, 10:59 pm

Joe90 wrote:
My main ADHD trait.

How did you overcome it?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 4:35 am

sohil142003 wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
My main ADHD trait.

How did you overcome it?

I haven't.

Regulan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2022, 2:26 pm

I rarely feel impulsive and I have quite good boundaries... was not always this way but I think it´s kind of normal during adolescente, especially if you did not have a healthy family environment. As soon as I was out of my parent´s home I saw myself as I really am: a calm, still sensitive to lots of things but a wise adult person with healthy boundaries (this applies even more if I think of the country I am actually living in, which has a complete different culture and "normal" people don´t pay too much attention to lots of things which I do, in my opinion). Socializing has become harder with age but I don´t think it´s a bad thing (this reminds me of a book : Solitude, by Anthony Storr, which I enjoy very much and gave me lots of inner peace with myself about not needing or wanting the "healthy" social contact.

I am still unsure if I do have a very light ASD because of these things: presence of good boundaries, low impulsivity and have been an "old like child" already, which kinda puzzled my teachers and family very often. All the rest seems to check.

I come from a culture where people are vere picky about etiquette and the culture itself is a so called "high context culture" so I think my whole family and a harsh catholic school brushed the hell ouf of me since I was very young: I was forced to always look neat and sit correctly, would write the same sentence about what I should never ever do hundreds of times , there was lots of physical punishments too. I may be wrong but I feel that this social context was a horrible thing that made me act more or less acceptable since very young and I would rarely smile as a child. There was no time to be a child.

If we evaluate ourselves through our native culture and the whole medical system doesn´t... how the hell do I know where I am?

Last edited by Regulan on 08 Aug 2022, 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 2:46 pm

Yes, even though I seem to spend most of my life scrutinising my plans for errors before doing them, I still do impulsive things in quite a reckless way from time to time. I think I just get tired of the incessant analysing and holding back. Unfortunately it sometimes only takes one stupid impulsive action to ruin an otherwise well thought-out plan.

But I don't know of any help for it. If I were somehow able to keep my impulses under complete control, the downside would be an even more boring life. Maybe if I found a harmless outlet for my impulsive side, I'd find it easier to keep important things under complete control. But I'm usually too busy to do much that I don't see as important.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 3:48 pm

Indecisive

And then I failed to accomplish anything because there is something wrong with everything

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 4:30 pm

Me! (Just had to reply - right now!)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 1:15 pm

I can be very impulsive at times. I've bought things on impulse.