Does anyone else struggle with impulsivity?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

sohil142003
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jul 2022, 9:33 pm

I feel like I’m very impulsive and always do things I regret. Can anyone else relate?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 10:31 pm

Yes.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 10:48 pm

My main ADHD trait.

sohil142003
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jul 2022, 10:59 pm

Joe90 wrote:
My main ADHD trait.

How did you overcome it?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 4:35 am

sohil142003 wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
My main ADHD trait.

How did you overcome it?

I haven't.

Regulan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2022, 2:26 pm

I rarely feel impulsive and I have quite good boundaries... was not always this way but I think it´s kind of normal during adolescente, especially if you did not have a healthy family environment. As soon as I was out of my parent´s home I saw myself as I really am: a calm, still sensitive to lots of things but a wise adult person with healthy boundaries (this applies even more if I think of the country I am actually living in, which has a complete different culture and "normal" people don´t pay too much attention to lots of things which I do, in my opinion). Socializing has become harder with age but I don´t think it´s a bad thing (this reminds me of a book : Solitude, by Anthony Storr, which I enjoy very much and gave me lots of inner peace with myself about not needing or wanting the "healthy" social contact.

I am still unsure if I do have a very light ASD because of these things: presence of good boundaries, low impulsivity and have been an "old like child" already, which kinda puzzled my teachers and family very often. All the rest seems to check.

I come from a culture where people are vere picky about etiquette and the culture itself is a so called "high context culture" so I think my whole family and a harsh catholic school brushed the hell ouf of me since I was very young: I was forced to always look neat and sit correctly, would write the same sentence about what I should never ever do hundreds of times , there was lots of physical punishments too. I may be wrong but I feel that this social context was a horrible thing that made me act more or less acceptable since very young and I would rarely smile as a child. There was no time to be a child.

If we evaluate ourselves through our native culture and the whole medical system doesn´t... how the hell do I know where I am?

Last edited by Regulan on 08 Aug 2022, 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 2:46 pm

Yes, even though I seem to spend most of my life scrutinising my plans for errors before doing them, I still do impulsive things in quite a reckless way from time to time. I think I just get tired of the incessant analysing and holding back. Unfortunately it sometimes only takes one stupid impulsive action to ruin an otherwise well thought-out plan.

But I don't know of any help for it. If I were somehow able to keep my impulses under complete control, the downside would be an even more boring life. Maybe if I found a harmless outlet for my impulsive side, I'd find it easier to keep important things under complete control. But I'm usually too busy to do much that I don't see as important.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 3:48 pm

Indecisive

And then I failed to accomplish anything because there is something wrong with everything

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 4:30 pm

Me! (Just had to reply - right now!)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 1:15 pm

I can be very impulsive at times. I've bought things on impulse.