Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 10:59 pm

I like the hot weather but not at night. I wish it got cold every night.

I'm having difficulty sleeping on these hot nights, and they're only going to get hotter and hotter as the week goes on. We have a fan on but I start to not feel it after a while and it just blows the same warm air around.

I live in a ground floor apartment so I'm not keen on leaving the window open all night. I sleep just in underwear and have a cotton duvet cover, but I need some sort of weight on me when in bed so sleeping with just a thin sheet or no sheets at all is not an option.

I just don't know how to lay. I spend each hot night tossing and turning and sprawling myself out but I still can't drop off. How can I get to sleep on these hot nights? I'm finding it really hard to motivate myself or concentrate on anything during the day because of lack of sleep. And then the cycle starts again: another hot sleepless night.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 7:37 am

That's pretty bad, I can't sleep when its hot either.

If you really cant stomach the thought of opening a window...a portable air conditioning unit?

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 12:00 am

You can choose sheets that transfer heat better and maybe use a gel-cooled pillow, but that will only go so far. I also get freezer gel packs(the kind that are still soft when frozen), freeze them in the freezer and just before bed I take one and wrap it in some paper towel and stick it on top of my pillow(but under my pillow case) to help me go to sleep. That said I also use a window A/C unit because I cannot sleep in the heat either, but I also use these tips described above.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2022, 7:32 am

I seem to sleep better when the sun is rising, as it seems to be the only part of the day that's the coolest. I work afternoons so this works out well for me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2022, 7:37 am

I used to drink cold milk and take cool showers.

PheonixDove
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Aug 2022, 1:00 pm

I've also been struggling a little with the heat.

Often, I find that I sleep best if I make myself a little cold before bed, to the point where I can't wait to get under the bedsheets. Of course, that's not always possible when it is super hot. But generally losing a layer or taking a cold shower can help me to cool down a little, as well as sitting in front of my fan.

If all else fails, I guess the portable A/C idea is great.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 9:38 pm

I have a very hard time sleeping in the hot weather.

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 11:17 pm

Something else might be making sure that your place get less warm during the day. Window foil shades for example. Planting trees if possible, in order to provide natural shading, with the added bonus of cleaner air. Same with ivy, that can grow to cover the walls to keep more heat out. But these might depend on the regulations that apply where you reside.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 2:06 pm

Sigbold wrote:
Something else might be making sure that your place get less warm during the day. Window foil shades for example. Planting trees if possible, in order to provide natural shading, with the added bonus of cleaner air. Same with ivy, that can grow to cover the walls to keep more heat out. But these might depend on the regulations that apply where you reside.

Trees take years to grow.

Ivy can actually damage walls.

We live in a private rented apartment with lots of regulations so no, this is not possible.

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2022, 12:12 am

Joe90 wrote:
Trees take years to grow.

Ivy can actually damage walls.

We live in a private rented apartment with lots of regulations so no, this is not possible.

Static window film might still be an option. It will at least reflect some of the heat from the sun back.

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 10:20 pm

Yesterday came across this website, that seems to keep your bed cooler in a more active way all night long. Instead of just slowing down the warming up.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 10:33 pm

Sleeping pills

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 6:22 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Sleeping pills

I did ask the doctor but she said sleeping pills can make you severely insomnic in between intervals. Or something like that.

Natural remedies don't seem to make a lot of difference, apart from a placebo.

Over-the-counter medications like kalms don't seem to help either. I do take Avomine sometimes, which is an antisickness pill but the side effects make you extremely drowsy. But I can only take them occasionally as they won't work if you keep taking them.

I do worry about relying too much on pills in case I die from severe constipation like Elvis.