naturalplastic wrote:
Wrong.

The answer to my question is 'what's SUP with you?'. :lol:
Joke’s been done: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=407309&start=0#p9080628

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 1:42 pm

I've taken it out 5 times now & others have gotten use out of it a bit, too. Getting easier/better. The last 2 times I took it out on the backside of the rock jetty where the river kinda dumps into the ocean. The water is MUCH flatter there with only minimal wave action when you get a km or so from the launch point with almost no wave action from wind. Flatter water is WAY easier to paddle through. I think there's a bit of a river current in the estuary the farther you get out, though, as I found my forward speed slowed down considerably in some areas - must have been paddling upstream. I saw 5 seals pop up yesterday - must have been quite a few fishies in the area to munch on. The tide was quite high, too, for this time of year - so maybe with more depth more schools of fishies came closer to shore.. or maybe with more depth the seals swam farther in. Or both. There's a bunch of log booms & posts for them to be hitched to in the estuary and both times out I paddled out and around all of them - probably took 45mins or so and was basically the limit of my stamina as once I make it around them all and then back up the backside of the jetty I'm getting pretty weak in the legs - which is a good sign for pushing the limits of a balancing/stability/core workout. Also, being way flatter water I can kinda put my whole body into paddling easier so it's more of a full body workout. I think another handful of times like that out and I'll be better prepared to paddle harder on the ocean side and power through/over little waves vs. feeling more unstable on them. There are some guys that head out specifically into the choppiest water - definitely have very good board skils, more surfing like, to manage that.

I also got a pair of 60" rokstraps from amazon and used them to strap the paddleboard to the passenger seat of my motorcycle and took it to the beach like that 2nd last time out. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to ride like that. With it secured down well, it was easy peasy to still ride 100kmh or so with the flow of right lane traffic on the way to and from the beach. It doesn't change the physics of riding very much. The board bag is pretty big though, so it does kinda squish my to the most forward riding position - but it's totally manageable. You're Supposed to be very far forward gripping the tank with your legs, anyways, vs. laid back sitting on the passenger seat knees loose like you're sitting on a couch. Having the paddleboard passenger forces correct positioning to the extreme. I suppose it's also a bit of practice for an eventual human passenger. The paddleboard/gear/bag only weighs around 30lbs or so, though, so it's not the same ballast as a meatbag passenger is going to be at 100-200lbs. Also, it's fixed and doesn't move.. which makes things easier for sure. A human passenger is going to have to understand how to move/not move in order not to throw the bike off balance - things like Do Not raise your arm/hand to point at things.. as those sorts of motions can make a bike wobble in ways we don't want it to. For now I'll just stick to my iSUP passenger - might even strap 'er down and take the bike to the beach today, actually. Beauty weather for it!

Also been thinking about getting a new wetsuit and harness and going kiteboarding before the summer ends. But I'm only 7 days away from leaving on a 2 week vacation, and then I think there's a dozen days left in the Official Season once I get back in early September.. hmm, decisions decisions.. to kite, or not to kite? Maybe I should kite.