When Facebook groups don't accept you

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 5:34 am

I have a problem with my neighbours but I don't want to keep repeatedly ranting about them on WP, so I searched for Facebook groups that are for people with bad neighbours so that I can get things off my chest and get sympathy and advice from other people who are in the same boat and are there to discuss it specifically. I found 2 different Facebook groups, that look very active and have lots and lots of members, and I requested to join the groups. But it's been weeks now and still no join group acceptance from either groups so I don't have anywhere I can talk about the thing that is making me most anxious in my life right now.

What's the point in having Facebook groups if there's no-one to administer them and accept new members? Both these groups have latest posts that were posted today. Why won't they accept me. Maybe they see me coming.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 2:31 pm

Maybe try again? Sometimes, there's so many "applicants" that they might not have gotten to your "application."

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 3:01 am

Just to say, I learned to avoid Facebook Groups, especially the private ones. They are chock full of bullies, because they are hidden away from public eye. And not being accepted is probably a sign that the groups aren't active anymore.

I prefer FB Pages as they are public therefore people have to behave politely.

Good luck with finding what you want. I wouldn't join a FB Group again due to bad experiences. e.g. I joined one for Highly Sensitive People, but had to leave because they were too argumentative! :? :lol:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 5:31 am

I belong to a few private Facebook groups and I've never actually had any bullying going on. The mods are usually very good at acting quick whenever there's any sort of bullying going on.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 5:45 am

Try starting your own.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 8:37 am

Joe90 wrote:
I belong to a few private Facebook groups and I've never actually had any bullying going on. The mods are usually very good at acting quick whenever there's any sort of bullying going on.

Aha so it's me attracting the bullies then. As usual, I cause problems wherever I go. Sorry, I'll butt out.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 8:59 am

KitLily wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Aha so it's me attracting the bullies then. As usual, I cause problems wherever I go. Sorry, I'll butt out.

You don't attract bullies here (I hope). I like you and your posts anyway. :)

The Facebook groups I belong to are rat owners (because I own pet rats), emetophobia (I have severe emetophobia and sometimes need to chat with others that have the same phobia), and a women's ADHD group. In these 3 groups I have never had any grief from anyone. The only issue I have sometimes is in the rat group where people make you feel ashamed if you buy your rats from pet stores instead of breeders. But I've never been humiliated or personally attacked because of it.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 10:47 am

Joe90 wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Thank you. What a kind thing to say. I am having a very difficult day, feeling hated and unwanted, and your kind words really make a difference :heart: I like you and your posts too!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 11:08 am

KitLily wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Thank you. What a kind thing to say. I am having a very difficult day, feeling hated and unwanted, and your kind words really make a difference :heart: I like you and your posts too!

I understand that feeling all too well. :heart:
Your avatar makes me laugh by the way. :lol:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 11:10 am

Joe90 wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Oh good, I hoped my avatar wasn't too pert and cheeky and annoying.

What is the answer to stop feeling hated and unwanted? I am so unpopular in real life it's painful.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 11:17 am

KitLily wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Oh good, I hoped my avatar wasn't too pert and cheeky and annoying.

What is the answer to stop feeling hated and unwanted? I am so unpopular in real life it's painful.

Your avatar is cute and seems to make me laugh. It's not cheeky or annoying. I don't think any avatar can be annoying. :lol:

Being unpopular is painful when you want people. I wish I could make you feel better. All I can do is offer my sympathy. It's OK to feel like that. But it's not a good feeling, I know.

When people say they're depressed or anxious, instead of saying "don't be" I usually say "it's OK to feel like that". If you like you can PM me and tell me what's going on in your life and why you feel this way. If you don't then it's also OK, it's not rude or anything so don't feel like you have to. Just if you want. :heart:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 11:27 am

Joe90 wrote:
Being unpopular is painful when you want people. I wish I could make you feel better. All I can do is offer my sympathy. It's OK to feel like that. But it's not a good feeling, I know.

When people say they're depressed or anxious, instead of saying "don't be" I usually say "it's OK to feel like that". If you like you can PM me and tell me what's going on in your life and why you feel this way. If you don't then it's also OK, it's not rude or anything so don't feel like you have to. Just if you want. :heart:

Thanks for your very kind and caring reply. :heart:

I hate it when people just fire advice at me when I have a problem.

So I'm touched by your genuine caring with no firing of advice :flower:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 11:48 am

Yes, sympathy and reassurance goes a long way when it comes to an emotional issue.

With a more logical issue, such as "I keep having a leak through my front door", advice is needed more.

I know that people who offer advice have a good heart and good intentions, but, well, you know.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 12:03 pm

Yes, some people offer advice from a good heart, but some just want to fire advice to shut us up, I've found.

Another thing that annoys me is that 99% of the time I'm calm and kind but if I have one bad day I'm dismissed and excluded. We're allowed to have a bad day.

But hey ho, we keep plodding on don't we :)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 12:22 pm

Yes, I know what you mean there.

Like during 2020 when covid was at its worst, and I was a key worker but living with a vulnerable person who was isolating (before we had vaccines or easy access to tests), and I was in a stress and a panic and felt there weren't much sympathy for people in that situation. So then I got a load of advice from different people, that it's possible to avoid each other in our small apartment by making sure we're in separate rooms at all times. OK, that may be possible to live like that for a few days, but for months, not possible. The only realistic answer to that was to furlough key workers if they're living under the same roof as an isolating vulnerable person. But that didn't seem to be an option. So I stressed. Thankfully we lived through it all in one piece.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 3:59 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Yes, I know what you mean there.

Like during 2020 when covid was at its worst, and I was a key worker but living with a vulnerable person who was isolating (before we had vaccines or easy access to tests), and I was in a stress and a panic and felt there weren't much sympathy for people in that situation. So then I got a load of advice from different people, that it's possible to avoid each other in our small apartment by making sure we're in separate rooms at all times. OK, that may be possible to live like that for a few days, but for months, not possible. The only realistic answer to that was to furlough key workers if they're living under the same roof as an isolating vulnerable person. But that didn't seem to be an option. So I stressed. Thankfully we lived through it all in one piece.

Gosh that is very simplistic advice isn't it. I'm glad you got through it, I'm not surprised you were so stressed. These last few years have been horrible for most people haven't they...Yes I think people weren't very sympathetic back then, I think they might be a bit more so now. People have divided into caring and selfish due to the pandemic IMO.

My husband is a nurse so you can imagine what his life has been like.

I'm on a very restricted diet and the advice I got was to plan my meals! Erm...that's what I've been doing for years, obviously! :roll: