Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Jul 2022, 2:36 pm

Can someone with autism that has trouble wearing tight/more form fitting clothes get used to tight clothes by wearing more form fitting clothes and get used to the way it feels?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 2:37 pm

It's possible.

But why go through that?

You don't have to wear extremely baggy clothes----but you don't have to wear form-fitting clothes, either.

I certainly don't.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 3:20 pm

The best part of being an adult for me is that I get to choose when I eat whatever I want to eat and when I wear whatever it is that I want to wear.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 3:31 pm

I'm very fussy with clothes. I don't mind tight-fitting clothes but I don't like clothes with itchy tags that are made from a very coarse material and are hard to cut out without leaving a mark or a hole. I really hate clothing companies for using such stupid tags, why don't they just use cotton tags or like tags that are the same material as the clothing? Tags look shabby when they stick out, and even some NTs complain about tags itching.

I love clothes shopping but I tend to avoid clothing brands that have such annoying tags. Debenhams was a really good store because usually the clothes there didn't have many clothing tags, just one at the side that was easy to cut out. But, alas, that has gone. :roll:

SpiralingCrow
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 3:16 am

I'm hypersensitive in every regard. Clothing is no exception. I cannot wear certain fabrics, either due to itch factor or because there is no give and they feel tight to me. If I'm not comfortable in my clothes, my attention will be focused on that instead of what I should be doing.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 9:12 am

I don't like tight clothing. They show parts of my body that I don't want people to see.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 10:41 am

christinejarvis21 wrote:
Can someone with autism that has trouble wearing tight/more form fitting clothes get used to tight clothes by wearing more form fitting clothes and get used to the way it feels?
It depends on what, in particular, causes the discomfort.

Wreck It Ralph

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 7:51 pm

I'm going to say a cautious yes to this, for me anyways. I always have hated the feel of baggy clothes, so long sleeves that weren't things like clingy, sportswear were always a big no-no for me, but over the last year or so I have been trying to wear clothes with looser fitting long sleeves and have managed it more than a few times for an entire day without losing my mind. It can be done, and it takes some effort, but honestly, I'm still on the fence to whether or not it's actually worth that effort. I still prefer sleeveless or clingy but can do different when in a pinch.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 8:45 pm

For me, I don't really get used to it, but maybe I just forget about it more. I've been wearing sweaters the past couple of weeks late at night, which are something I dislike due to the weight and constricting to me feeling (funny how tight shirts don't give the same feeling). I guess just give it a try and see how it goes.

I mostly just wear tight shirts and sweatpants because I'm obviously white trash. :eye: It's comfortable to me in the end.

Shoalinagent
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jul 2022, 8:59 pm

Certain fabrics especially polo shirts or general work shirts are always uncomfortable no matter how long I've tried to wear them. So I will forever be known as the 2 shirt guy at work as a result.
I found microfibre under shirts the greatest thing invented and I'm certain they will help others here also.