40 Celsius in the UK next week...what will happen?

Page 3 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 1:49 am

Extreme heat warning issued
Author: Press Office
14:09 (UTC+1) on Mon 11 Jul 2022
"
The Met Office has issued an Amber Extreme heat warning, as temperatures look to build later this week for much of England and Wales.

The Amber warning, which has been issued for Sunday (17 July), highlights likely adverse health effects for the public, not just limited to those most vulnerable to extreme heat. Temperatures could be in excess of 35C in the southeast, and more widely around 32C within the warning area. These high temperatures could extend into the early part of next week and an extension of the warning will be considered in the coming days.
"
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/p ... ing-issued
"
Met Office Deputy Chief Meteorologist Rebekah Sherwin said: “Today and tomorrow (Monday 11th and Tuesday 12th), temperatures are likely to peak at 33C in the southeast, with warm weather likely to continue throughout this week and it looks likely to ramp up late this week and into early next week.

“From Sunday and into Monday, temperatures are likely to be in excess of 35C in the southeast, although the details still remain uncertain. Elsewhere, temperatures could be fairly widely above 32C in England and Wales, and in the mid-to-high 20s Celsius further north.”

Dr Agostinho Sousa, Head of Extreme Events and Health Protection at UKHSA, said: “Heat-health alerts have now been issued to the majority of the country, with temperatures set to remain consistently high throughout the duration of this week.

“Most of us can enjoy the hot weather when it arrives, but it is important to keep yourself hydrated and to find shade where possible when UV rays are strongest, between 11am and 3pm.

“If you have vulnerable family, friends and neighbours, make sure they are aware of how they can keep themselves protected from the warm weather.’’

Government advice is that 999 services should be used in emergencies only; seek advice from 111 if you need non-emergency health advice.
"
"
Will we get record-breaking heat?

The record high temperature in the UK is 38.7C, which was reached at Cambridge Botanic Garden on 25 July 2019.

The Met Office’s Rebekah Sherwin added: “Weather forecast models are run hundreds of times to determine the most likely weather outcome. For late in next weekend and early next week, some runs of these models are allowing exceptionally high temperatures to develop, which is something we’ll be monitoring closely and adding details in the coming days.

“Some models have been producing maximum temperatures in excess of 40C in parts of the UK over the coming weekend and beyond. At longer time scales temperature forecasts become less reliable, so whilst these figures can’t be ruled out, they are still only a low probability. A number of weather scenarios are still possible and at the current time, mid- or perhaps high-30s are looking more likely.”
"

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 1:51 am

Aprilviolets wrote:
It gets up to 45 degrees Celsius in the summer here in Australia and it's unbearable, also we get bad bushfires over here.
At the moment we're having our winter which I prefer as I hate the hot weather.

Expect 50 + in the next decade
https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/10/aust ... melbourne/

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 1:53 am

Joe90 wrote:
OK apparently they reckon temperatures are going to rise up to 43 Celsius this week or next week, and I don't think it's ever gotten in the 40s in the UK before. I like hot weather but I'm a bit worried about this extreme. Will everything burst into flames? Will people die? Will things stop working? What will it affect? How will we survive? Is it liveable? Don't forget, the UK isn't a tropical country so we aren't used to temperatures as high as 40+. Typically it gets not much hotter than 36 Celsius over here. Yet Poland is only like 15 Celsius and usually Poland gets heatwaves in the summer. So I don't know what that's all about.

Ask your Metoffice, they told British citizens to get ready
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/m ... k-27220583

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 2:18 am

I just looked at the 10 day weather forecast for London and it's perfectly normal numbers. The hottest day is next Monday at 35c-95f.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 3:52 am

We get 40+ between December and March where I live. Some info:

When it gets that hot, the humidity is usually low. So it doesn't feel as bad as 30 with high humidity (at least where I live).
Power outage is possible due to high demand for electricity because most people use the air-conditioner. Better make sure your mobile is fully charged before that happens.
Trains run slowly because the rails warp due to heat.
Bush fire happens very easily, but not in the urban areas.

Tropical areas don't usually get that hot because of high humidity. Their temperatures are typically between 25 and 35 and minimum temperatures are not far from the maximum. Also the temperatures don't vary too much from day to day.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Jul 2022, 3:59 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
I just looked at the 10 day weather forecast for London and it's perfectly normal numbers. The hottest day is next Monday at 35c-95f.
That's not "perfectly normal" for London :lol:
But apparently these over-fourty temperatures are an exaggeration, a worst-case scenario, or numbers from weather forecasts for Spain were mixed up with an article about Britain. That seems the most likely to me - a general warning about a heat wave in Europe mentioned the highest numbers but they were not from Britain.

Anyway: open the windows in the night, close them and draw curtains during the day. Prepare ice cubes in your freezer. Don't go outside without a bottle of water. Wear a light hat or scarf when outside.
I like to prepare cheap isotonic drink and keep it in my fridge during heat waves, so I can drink it every now and then.

I expect people in UK rarely have air conditioning at homes. You can consider buying a protable air conditioner. You put the end of its pipe outside your window so it pumps got air outside and fans with cool air inside. Seal the window with a blanket if you use it this way, so hot air from outside doesn't come in.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 4:48 am

I don't know what will happen. I suppose the dogs will be thirsty. Some people will get sunburn and and you'll see a lot of funny sights as people dare to bare themselves for a few days.

I think my earliest memory is from the summer of 1976 (I think it was one of the hottest for UK). I would have been 3 years old at the time and I can vividly remember sitting in the middle of the road in the street where I lived and I was picking the melted tar out of the road with a wooden lolly stick.

I must have been really enjoying doing that as I can remember it so clearly.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 4:55 am

magz wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
That's not "perfectly normal" for London :lol:
But apparently these over-fourty temperatures are an exaggeration, a worst-case scenario, or numbers from weather forecasts for Spain were mixed up with an article about Britain. That seems the most likely to me - a general warning about a heat wave in Europe mentioned the highest numbers but they were not from Britain.

Anyway: open the windows in the night, close them and draw curtains during the day. Prepare ice cubes in your freezer. Don't go outside without a bottle of water. Wear a light hat or scarf when outside.
I like to prepare cheap isotonic drink and keep it in my fridge during heat waves, so I can drink it every now and then.

I expect people in UK rarely have air conditioning at homes. You can consider buying a protable air conditioner. You put the end of its pipe outside your window so it pumps got air outside and fans with cool air inside. Seal the window with a blanket if you use it this way, so hot air from outside doesn't come in.

Most of the daily temperatures were between 26-28 C or 78-80 F. Which is still pretty warm for there, but not unusual. I live a very similar climate. Cold and rainy until it finally gets hot and sticky.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 1:04 pm

Sometimes, in winter, some models predict 20-plus inches of snow for a particular day; while others predict no snow at all.

The weather forecast often is a compromise between two extreme models.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 1:07 pm

At this point, they are predicting 33 Celsius for the London area on Monday, the 18th.

London usually gets close to the hottest temperatures.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 2:42 pm

We get about two weeks worth of hot weather a year in the UK.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 2:53 pm

We had rain here today which was refreshing.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 3:03 pm

Yes we did as well.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 3:36 pm

babybird wrote:

We are in the sunny south so we get a lot more warm sunny days than that.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 4:03 pm

babybird wrote:

I'd say that's true for around 80%-90% of UK summers, at least where we live. But in my experience we do get a 'proper' summer about once or twice a decade. Examples I remember are 1975, 1976, 1983, 1984, 1990, 1995, 1996, 2013, and I'm sure I've missed one or two. I'd definitely include the present year as well, and we had a nice warm, dry spring this year as well!

It's interesting that quite a few of those warm summers come in consecutive years.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 4:55 pm

Last week it was a hundred two days in a row and that’s not figuring the heat index.
That was around 107.It hasn’t rained in a long time and the grass is starting to crunch when walked upon.Watering the garden is a constant chore but no more mowing.
90 but feels like 96 right now with no rain in sight.