Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

MBlokzyl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Jul 2022, 3:40 pm

So, I don't have an actual diagnosis because apparently Autism makes Dr's a lot of money, so to get a formal diagnosis where I live costs $2500 out of pocket. So needless to say I'm not doing that.
I have, ever since awareness of autism increased around 20 years ago been told by friends, spouses (yes plural), and even my mom that I exhibit many characteristics of HFA. Just the other day I had a meltdown with my wife that was a result of my poor communication abilities.
Now that i am on the other side of therapy so to speak I am able to see how I've been making up these stories about my life to try and explain myself to...myself. I am realizing that almost all of these stories are wrong. These problems of my past can nearly all 100% be attributed to poor communication. So I'm working on retelling my life story to myself.
A little about myself after 50 years: I am a runner. I run all distances from 5k to ultramarathon and I'm not too shabby at it. I was in the Air Force for a single enlistment back in the '90's. I wasn't able to make it work well though. I have a problem with taking orders from people I perceive to be less intelligent than me. So yes problems with authority. However, I have no issue with taking direction from someone that obviously doesn't have their heads up their....
I was trained as a respiratory therapist in the military and that what I did for 15 years after college. I went to college back then and got my degree in Psychology. Then I worked as a respiratory therapist for 15 years.
In 2015 I was diagnosed with HIV infection from a medical accident, spent the following 6 months sick with no diagnosis before I was diagnosed with stage IV lymphoma. So I went through chemotherapy and had a stem-cell transplant and I am still here and back to running. I will do the Dallas marathon in December. Pretty excited about that.
I have hard times with loud people. I can bear some loud noise, but people that are just unreasonably bombastically loud people I have trouble being around. I get frustrated very easily and try to work on staying in the moment and realizing that things are never going to go 100% the way I plan them. Like I said, I have trouble with communication and it causes me all sorts of issues that would be solved if I just communicated better. So working on that.
I qualified for MENSA way back when but I rarely pay the dues because there's not much benefit for me to be an active member.
I notice so many things that other people don't. It makes me feel alone because I have no one to talk to about what I'm seeing.
Currently on my last class before getting my AAS in Cybersecurity. Looking forward to working in the field especially since it's in such high demand now.
Well, that's all I suppose. Sorry for the negative first paragraph.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 3:48 pm

One of the colleges in Austin might have psych professors who would run diagnostics for reduced cost.

I received mine from the profs at my son's college.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 3:51 pm

There's also research in autism sponsored by colleges and universities. You can get an assessment for free that way if you're part of a research study.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 3:58 pm

This thread might interest you.
SNEAK PREVIEW: Check your insurance.

P.S. I am HFA and my bride is ADHD. We were both in the Air Force and are both in Mensa...I think having those overlaps helped this Aspie connect with her.

I am retired now but worked in computer security for the last 20 years of my working life. I much prefer being retired but I admit computer security is an interesting field. As fast as IT changes computer security changes faster! If you enjoy the work then it should be a good career field choice.

MBlokzyl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Jul 2022, 4:08 pm

It’s just frustrating because I want to get a formal diagnosis and get some help but all these autism centers are just like, “Sure we can evaluate you and that’ll be $2500 so, you know, if you can just write a check we can get started”
You can see that I’m frustrated. I’m on disability because I had cancer and the government bet against me living and made me permanently disabled. So that gives me time to finish school and get started in IT.
Does anyone know if Medicare has any programs for this type of thing?

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 4:39 pm

MBlokzyl wrote:
It’s just frustrating because I want to get a formal diagnosis and get some help but all these autism centers are just like, “Sure we can evaluate you and that’ll be $2500 so, you know, if you can just write a check we can get started”
You can see that I’m frustrated. I’m on disability because I had cancer and the government bet against me living and made me permanently disabled. So that gives me time to finish school and get started in IT.

It is frustrating to be sure and it is nice to know for certain whether you are on the spectrum or not. I paid out of pocket for my diagnosis, but its done me little good. If you aren't seeking workplace accommodation and you are already on disability, there aren't really other services out there for adults in the US.

On the plus side, since you are already disabled, you can access disability services at colleges and universities WITHOUT additional testing. The same is true in the workplace, since you already have one form of disability.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 4:42 pm

If you find a provider will do the assessment and that coordinates with Medicare then you could contact them and ask them how that affects your bill.

No guarantees but this link might be helpful: https://www.findapsychologist.org

MBlokzyl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Jul 2022, 7:24 am

DanielW wrote:
MBlokzyl wrote:

It is frustrating to be sure and it is nice to know for certain whether you are on the spectrum or not. I paid out of pocket for my diagnosis, but its done me little good. If you aren't seeking workplace accommodation and you are already on disability, there aren't really other services out there for adults in the US.

On the plus side, since you are already disabled, you can access disability services at colleges and universities WITHOUT additional testing. The same is true in the workplace, since you already have one form of disability.

Thank you for the info. I will look into that

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 6:00 pm

wow what a story of survival! welcome, I learned of my autism when I was in my mid 60s, life has changed for the better since I know have the key to understanding so much of my past. I did have to get therapy to help me learn healthy communication and that probably saved my life and my sanity. Glad you are with us.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2022, 1:21 pm

welcome aboard.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2022, 6:20 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2022, 10:54 am

MBlokzyl wrote:
So, I don't have an actual diagnosis because apparently Autism makes Dr's a lot of money, so to get a formal diagnosis where I live costs $2500 out of pocket. So needless to say I'm not doing that.

I think it is a lengthy examination that would cost that way. But I don't think they need examination to diagnose you with autism. A therapist can do it, based on the things you tell them on the therapy.

MBlokzyl wrote:
Now that i am on the other side of therapy

So what is your official diagnosis that your therapist gave you?

MBlokzyl wrote:
I am able to see how I've been making up these stories about my life to try and explain myself to...myself. I am realizing that almost all of these stories are wrong.

What kind of stories were those? Do you have any examples?

I mean was it something that was factually wrong, or was it just wrong in terms of cause and effect, as in it was true yet irrelevant?

If it was factually wrong, how could you convince yourself that it was true?

MBlokzyl wrote:
These problems of my past can nearly all 100% be attributed to poor communication.

Same here

MBlokzyl wrote:
I am a runner. I run all distances from 5k to ultramarathon and I'm not too shabby at it.

I am a runner too. I usually run between 5k and 20k. I never ran a marathon, much less ultra-marathon.

How far is ultra-marathon? How often do you run it and how long does it take you?

As far as 5k and 10k, what are your normal times on those distances?

Back in high school we ran what they called "3 miles". But I am wondering if it was really 3 miles or if it was 5k, because the difference can make time difference by almost a minute. In any case, whatever it happened to be, my best time was 17 minutes and 7 seconds, but that was a 1 off. More typically, I would do 18+, 19+ or 20+. But nowdays I can't get any of those times, nowdays I have 22+ or 21+ if I am lucky. My goal is to get my high school tie back. Well at least getting down to 20 would be great.

As far as 10k, I haven't timed myself back in high school. But, back at the age of 33, I did it in 46+ minutes. I can still do 10k in 46+.

I remember back when I was 15 I ran half a marathon and I was first among people with similar age, but unfortunately my age group was wide, it was 15-33, so I wasn't first; I was probably second or something. So I didn't get a price but everyone were impressed. I don't remember my time back then.

MBlokzyl wrote:
I was in the Air Force for a single enlistment back in the '90's. I wasn't able to make it work well though. I have a problem with taking orders from people I perceive to be less intelligent than me. So yes problems with authority.

I am in science: pure math and theoretical physics. But I have similar issues as you do: trouble taking directions from people. But I didn't give up: I am still trying to make my career. But that is the reason I am not a professor yet, despite already being 42.

MBlokzyl wrote:
I was trained as a respiratory therapist in the military and that what I did for 15 years after college. I went to college back then and got my degree in Psychology. Then I worked as a respiratory therapist for 15 years.

By respiratory therapist are you referring to the problems like asthma? But then why would you need a psychology degree for that? Or are you saying you use breathing to help with psychological problems?

MBlokzyl wrote:
In 2015 I was diagnosed with HIV infection from a medical accident,

Are you saying they found a cure for it? It used to be incurable in the past. Do you still have HIV as of now?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 7:15 pm

Welcome to WP! :mrgreen:

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 6:26 am

Welcome! I hope you find WP useful and enjoy it!

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 9:11 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet.