Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 4:16 pm

So I recently broke ip with my partner and have been reevaluating things. Currently my job pays well for my area but with inflation being how it is I am reconsidering staying here. I have 2 friends after living in my current city for 4 and 1/2 years. I have 2 places in my current city, I am working on a certificate, working on my weight, and a few other things.

Currently I can visit the one city I am looking at for 50 bucks round trip. I have been looking and could double my salary but it is in California. Even if I break even I would still gain experience in my field and move closer to where the decisions and action is. I would need to get a certification for this but I would be in a much larger city and be able to socialize. Also autism services seem few and far between in my current city. I plan to save and wait a yesr or two to get my certifications and drive and maybe look into moving to the larger city. Anyone else have experiences with this?

SpaceMartian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jul 2022, 5:01 pm

No experience at all, also I'm indecisive as hell, that's probably already cost me quite a lot of opportunities I've never chased. If I could choose, I'd try to DO SOMETIHNG that drives me to my life goals. Staying where you are is a guarantee for no changes. Do you want a change? Move. Will it be for the better? You'll have a new experience, that for sure, but no one knows if it will be your jackpot or your bankrupcy.
It sucks, but that's the society we have, risk it, play it smart and pray some as*hole doesn't ruin your life.

Ultimately its on you. Sometimes staying "safe" also gets you (as it is happening to me), but I don't know your specifics. What would you want to tell to newer generationes when you are 80, what did you do? Maybe do that. Mind chances of success vs failure in your thought process.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 5:28 pm

OP: do it NOW when you are young, not tied down and have the energy and health above all! don't wait until you are "more comfortable" as likely then you will have encumbrances interfering. no time like the present.

SpaceMartian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jul 2022, 7:36 pm

auntblabby wrote:
OP: do it NOW when you are young, not tied down and have the energy and health above all! don't wait until you are "more comfortable" as likely then you will have encumbrances interfering. no time like the present.

Waiting for something "safe" is totally what's killing me. I had GREAT opportunities fly away because boneheaded. But still doing things without proper research seems to me like a horrible idea. Maybe that's why I'm getting nowhere, but without numbers, chances, I don't thing moving is that good of an idea. Then again, not moving may be equally as bad.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 8:04 pm

SpaceMartian wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Waiting for something "safe" is totally what's killing me. I had GREAT opportunities fly away because boneheaded. But still doing things without proper research seems to me like a horrible idea. Maybe that's why I'm getting nowhere, but without numbers, chances, I don't thing moving is that good of an idea. Then again, not moving may be equally as bad.

sometimes a change of scenery is just what the doctor ordered.

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jul 2022, 5:12 pm

My family moved across country several times when I was a kid, and after I grew up and got married, my wife and I moved across country again. Now we live in a small picturesque town (population 1500) that purportedly has the highest number of Ph.Ds and Volunteers per capita in the country. A good mix of hippies, yuppies, and red necks. The air is clean and the trees are green. We have a growing family. We own our own house, no mortgage, and our own car.

And I hate it here. I hate my life.

Let me tell you why.

Two main reasons.

1. I've lost my freedom of movement. I will probably spend the rest of my life here, too poor to travel, and too rooted to the spot by home ownership and family.

2. I drifted through life rather than taking charge of my career aspirations. Now I live in a remote town, far from educational facilities, and the only jobs are a couple of months of fruit picking each year. The population here is too small to support most small businesses. I have no personal power.

So here's my advice. Travel if it will help you to take control of, and advance your career. You've got to live the rest of your life, either as how you define a success or as you define a failure. You'll be empowered or depressed. Make your choices. Push forward, muscle through. Good luck.