Got two job offers, difficulty deciding

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 7:08 am

So I've recently started looking for a new workplace, and I've been offered two positions.

Job #1 is with one of the elite architectural firms in Japan, and I know their style of work well. To NTs, this is "a great job" and "high status". The problem is, I have worked before in similar positions and ended up disliking it a lot despite having a lot of talent and success. I'd probably have an easier time being "successful" there, given I have a lot of skills they look for. I also wonder if I'm not being unnecessarily bitter and self-sabotaging what could be a good career just because the reality of working as an architect was different from what I initially expected.

Job #2 is much more traditional, less "cool design" and more "grimy construction site". It's not an "elite" architectural firm but a very big and well-respected general contractor. I feel like I'd be more motivated going to work there, but maybe my motivation stems more from wanting to get away from cool design rather than being attracted by construction sites. It'll probably be harder for me to be "successful" there, as I'd have quite a bit of learning to do (and expectations to work very hard).

It doesn't matter so much, but Job #2 pays more.

Do I take the job the NT's admire and the possibility of making peace with my bitterness for the profession, or do I throw away my previous experience to pursue a job which will hopefully (but not certainly) be more rewarding in the long run, even though probably being much harder?

I'm wavering.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 9:33 am

If you are an unmarried man without a family to fend for, I would say go where you would be happier.

Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 7:21 pm

That's the thing. I'm married with one daughter (9 month infant).

My wife thinks job #2 is better for the family, but she admits that's mostly based on the fact that I will earn more. At the same time, the pressure to perform will likely be higher there and I'll probably have to do around 30-40 hours of overtime each month.

At this point, I'd say I'm more attracted to job #2 because of the new challenge it poses, but I'm a bit scared of failure. I'm confident I can do job #1 well because of previous experience, but at the same time it's basically going back to what I left before, so perhaps I just end up frustrated again.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 2:11 am

I'm not very sure about the problems that #1 may face. This is basically the kind of job I was looking for.

But excessive overtime is likely to be overwhelming.
Although it may have a higher monthly salary, I suggest to further calculate whether its hourly salary is satisfactory.

I basically think that unsatisfactory jobs can be adjusted by more spare time. And 2# will make you lose this opportunity.
If need to remind, OP is in Japan. Overtime there may not be the same concept as in most Western regions.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 3:49 am

The big companies all regulate overtime well these days and pay accordingly. There were a string of infamous death-from-overwork cases some years ago and things have got better since.

The reason I hesitate to take Job #1 is simple: it's very design-oriented and although I do know how to design buildings, it's not something I enjoy. I find the gritty parts of intricate drawings and construction details more satisfying (although I'm not passionate about it). I'm thinking Job #2 can be a way away from typical architectural design into something else I might possibly enjoy more (construction supervision, project management, infrastructure, etc.) -- at the price of being more challenging.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 4:16 am

Job 2 because you need to find something you can feel happy in. Sometimes life takes one in a different direction than one expected. New skills to learn are exciting. You already have the designing side to fall back on so if something is not right, you can point it out and save people time and money while they are building it. As long as you are ok with heights, have good balance and are relitively strong, fit and well, job 2 is a good choice, and if it does not work out for you in job 2, there is always the thought that taking another job in the job 1 profession is something you can fall back on.