No Contact Phase After Breakup

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 11:30 pm

Long time, no see, everyone!

I've been a little depressed over a recent breakup. About a month ago my boyfriend of one year and I broke up. He had been struggling in his life for several months, and as a result he became depressed and withdrawn. He stopped wanting to do anything and he didn't text as much.

Our breakup was amicable, and his breakup text was well-thought out and loving. He basically said he loved me, but he was no longer present for me and I deserved better, and that he needed to work on himself. That was a little over a month ago and I haven't heard from him since, even though I've texted him a few times since then. We're still friends on Facebook, though.

How should I handle this? I'm wondering if he misses me as much as I miss him. I would love to reconcile with him in the future and pick up where we left off. But I'm wondering why he hasn't been talking to me even though our breakup was amicable. :cry:

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 3:03 am

Those phrases he said seem to be typical of someone who wants to let you down gently. He might not be intending on going back to you.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 4:34 am

He just might contact you.

Sorry for the breakup. I’m glad it was amicable.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 Jul 2022, 12:41 pm

klanka wrote:
Those phrases he said seem to be typical of someone who wants to let you down gently. He might not be intending on going back to you.
He might be worried about leading you on Descartes. Plus if his mental health is extremely bad, he might worry how he'd react if you two were to message for a bit. I had a mental breakdown around the time my 1st relationship ended. Psychotic depression is a real b!tch. Our breakup was mutual & we were best friends before we got in a relationship but we could not go back to just friends. I could NOT handle hearing anything bad about what was going on with her. Only way I could sorta work on myself was by moving on & I needed to completely torch that bridge to do that. I did not really realize that reasoning till much much later thou. I'm not sure if that's what's going on with you ex or not of corse. My advice is to take some time to focus on yourself & grieve the loss of your relationship. When you feel ready, you could start trying to find someone else but don't rush that search. If he does contact you, take it from there but don't plan & live your life like your expecting him to suddenly want to get back together.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 9:10 pm

nick007 wrote:
klanka wrote:
He might be worried about leading you on Descartes. Plus if his mental health is extremely bad, he might worry how he'd react if you two were to message for a bit. I had a mental breakdown around the time my 1st relationship ended. Psychotic depression is a real b!tch. Our breakup was mutual & we were best friends before we got in a relationship but we could not go back to just friends. I could NOT handle hearing anything bad about what was going on with her. Only way I could sorta work on myself was by moving on & I needed to completely torch that bridge to do that. I did not really realize that reasoning till much much later thou. I'm not sure if that's what's going on with you ex or not of corse. My advice is to take some time to focus on yourself & grieve the loss of your relationship. When you feel ready, you could start trying to find someone else but don't rush that search. If he does contact you, take it from there but don't plan & live your life like your expecting him to suddenly want to get back together.

Thanks! He clearly suffers from depression. He and his roommate confirmed that he's been depressed. On top of that, he refuses to seek any help for it because he doesn't feel it'll address his problems, e.g. his financial hardships. He seems to be the self-reliant type, because he refused help from me or anybody else.

Like I said, we're still friends on Facebook, so I take that as a good sign. I just wish he'd text me, though.