Entertain yourself? Entertained by others?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 4:19 pm

I would assume that most people here are very happy to entertain themselves, but that isn't completely obvious. Even if you are happy to entertain yourself, you may also be happy to be entertained by others.

When you entertain yourself, what do you prefer? How about when entertained by others?

For myself, I strongly prefer to entertain myself, whether it is reading, walking, hunting, or something else.

I do, however, like to listen to the radio, too, which I assume would be considered being entertained by others. When driving somewhere, I've been listening to the Jean Shepherd shows from the late 1950s and the 1960s.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 8:33 am

kokopelli wrote:
I do, however, like to listen to the radio, too, which I assume would be considered being entertained by others.
Unless it's a two-way radio I think it's still entertaining yourself. Just as reading is entertaining yourself even though there was an author involved.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 7:42 am

Double Retired wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
I do, however, like to listen to the radio, too, which I assume would be considered being entertained by others.
Unless it's a two-way radio I think it's still entertaining yourself. Just as reading is entertaining yourself even though there was an author involved.

I'm kind of in the middle on this. My gut feeling is that watching tv is "being entertained", not "entertaining oneself" and radio is not all that different.

On the other hand, if you were exercising or dancing to the music, that would seem to turn it into entertaining oneself.

To me, entertaining oneself would be more like exercising, shooting targets, cooking, fishing, playing fetch with your dog, ... . These are all things in which you are doing something.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 1:51 pm

...and reading is what? :study:

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 2:29 pm

Double Retired wrote:
...and reading is what? :study:

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 5:01 am

I like many solitary activities and choose internet activities when I want social interaction. (forums such as this "are" my social life!). I like reading, hiking, rock and fossil hunting, working with animals, learning about many things through research on the internet, reading studies, books, etc. I choose solitary 90 percent or more of the time. Fortunately my husband of 40 years chooses the same. That was just luck! Glad you are with us.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson