Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

darthAsperger
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jul 2022, 5:15 pm

I was asked to do an assesment and now I have 'autism 2' and did bad on their stupid intelligence test. What does austim 2 mean? i had speech lessons and stuff in school. I was told to go to 'mental health and mental retardation' government people and group therapy.

does anyone else have autism 2. what does that mean (other that they think I am not very smart) Can it be fixed?

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 5:52 pm

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 5:55 pm

You can't "fix" autism, but you can learn to cope with and make the best of it. I am a Level 2, but everyone is different. Your support needs can still be different than mine.

darthAsperger
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jul 2022, 8:42 pm

what you posted under autism 2 is what describe me pretty good. I guess I am stuck like this but hate being treated like a 3 year old.

what makes you level 2? is it less than 90 on IQ test or something else

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 9:40 pm

Generally, there's an association where lower the IQ, the more severe the autism. Intelligence does bring the ability to make better coping mechanisms and strategies, along with learning to understand the external and internal environments better, which all leads to better functioning. You see this with many disorders and not just autism.

I'll be level 1 as I don't receive much support at all other than a disability pension for it, and it'll be hard to tell that I'm autistic unless you know about it (then it's very obvious). I'm very socially aware, even if I'm poor at social interaction, which amuses me too much. I've built many a coping mechanism and strategy to remain somewhat independent due to my high IQ.

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jul 2022, 7:11 pm

Level 2 autism has little to do with IQ. One can have high IQ and still be level 2. That graphic was inaccurate, though, about level one. The message is that ALL auties need support. WRONG. I've never needed support. Of course, the social impact of my autism has been significant, but this doesn't equate to support. For example I just had minor surgery and there's not a single person in town who'd want to stay overnight with me, like the nurse recommended. I live alone, spent overnight in PAIN from the surgery. I also had to HIRE a medical transport to take me to and from the clinic (drugged up) because I don't have any close-enough social human connections to ask anyone to do this for me. I'm completely alone, have family out of state, though. So yes, my autism is severe as far as social deficits, but as far as self-care and adulting, I'm as high-end as any NT.

Severely autistic people seem to have mental retardation going with it.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 9:51 am

Elgee wrote:
Level 2 autism has little to do with IQ. One can have high IQ and still be level 2. That graphic was inaccurate, though, about level one. The message is that ALL auties need support. WRONG. I've never needed support. Of course, the social impact of my autism has been significant, but this doesn't equate to support. For example I just had minor surgery and there's not a single person in town who'd want to stay overnight with me, like the nurse recommended. I live alone, spent overnight in PAIN from the surgery. I also had to HIRE a medical transport to take me to and from the clinic (drugged up) because I don't have any close-enough social human connections to ask anyone to do this for me. I'm completely alone, have family out of state, though. So yes, my autism is severe as far as social deficits, but as far as self-care and adulting, I'm as high-end as any NT.

Severely autistic people seem to have mental retardation going with it.
That is not always true. The problem is that what people think severe means is not always accurate. For example, I am a level thee Autistic but people who see me automatically assume that I am a level 1 or that I am not Autistic at all. That is because the things that are severe in my Autism are not things that people can obviously readily see. I don't have an intellectual disability and I live independently alone. I also drive and do all my adls myself and I own my home. I am also verbal and extremely intelligent and extremely eloquent. But the parts of my Autism that make me a level three are so incredibly severe that they can actually be life threatening. The supports I need are not the same types of supports that people think of when they think about Autistic people who have IDs or who cannot live alone. The supports I need are very different but I need them in order to survive just as much as an Autistic person who needs 24/7 caretakers needs the supports s/he gets. If I don't get the supports that I need, I become very critical to the point where I could end up losing my life. That is why I am a level three.

Most people don't realize that severity can come in many different forms. They only think about severity in one way. That is a problem because it means that people like me often get neglected and end up needlessly dying because of that.

Wreck It Ralph

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 10:02 am

Levels and functioning labels a garbage anyway. Nearly everyone's function levels will vary in different environments and under different conditions.

Myself being a 2, I can have the best or worst of each level. It varies

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 10:08 am

DanielW wrote:
Levels and functioning labels a garbage anyway. Nearly everyone's function levels will vary in different environments and under different conditions.

Myself being a 2, I can have the best or worst of each level. It varies
agreed!

Wreck It Ralph

Garthilium
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jul 2022, 1:25 pm

I'm diagnosed with level 2 myself.

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jul 2022, 4:13 pm

It's got nothing to do with IQ. I was pegged as a Level 2. I was also put into gifted school programs, advanced classes, went to university, traveled internationally, held down a well-paying career, found romance, and tended to score well on IQ tests.

Why Level 2, then? As far as I can tell, because I wasn't interested in socializing, so the testing - instead of having a category for "oh they just don't like it, that's normal variance" - decided that I had social difficulties and needed massive assistance in social issues.

Of course, I've also managed teams, passed leadership qualifications, had jobs as inter-group liaisons, run social clubs, organized events for dozens of attendees, acted on stage... but no, having a preference for staying home with a good book and a fluffy cat to pat instead of going out and partying means it's Level 2 for me!

In other words, don't worry about it, and never assume a formal assessment of anything means anything in particular other than the biases of whoever wrote the test. You're in good company.

Kyaegha
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Jul 2022, 4:52 am

I was diagnosed level 2/borderline 3.
People like to assume that because I don't really speak (I only speak to my spouse) that I'm not capable of anything requiring mental capacity.
Meanwhile, I tested as gifted, owned my own business, published my autobiography and attended college on a fast track master's. I'm successfully married and a mother of 3.
I love proving their assumptions wrong. :)

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 7:44 am

I'd be level 2 if I could be bothered to get reassessed since the last dsm changes. For me, it's not related to intelligence. I went to gifted schools when I was a kid, read very early, tested well, blah. On the flip side, I had sensory issues, went mute, and didn't care to interact with others. There was more, I'm sure, but that was a long time ago and I'm not fully awake yet either. :lol: As an adult... oh how do I explain it. When I'm okay, I'm okay. I mean, I still have sensory, social, communication, all kinds of issues but I've learned some coping skills over the years, and I can manage to navigate life so long as I keep up with self care.

But the problem is that if I start getting too stressed, it's like it's too late and I can't do the self care I need in order to manage that stress. And it doesn't take much to get me stressed out. I can't do many things in a week or I get stressed, for example, so work is out, school is out... I need days to recover form one outing to the grocery store, and a days to prepare for that outing. Social interaction? Meh. Same thing. If I want to interact with family, I need prep time and recover time. I need to adhere to strict lists that break down my days into chunks or I get nothing done in my house...it's like I get lost without this crazy structure. My life is a juggling act or trying to find out what I want to do and how to manage those tasks/interactions/whatevers. When I'm on top of that juggling act, I seem fine, because I am. But no one really appreciates the work that goes into being fine. And I never can stay fine too long before life throws a wrench at me, and I drop it all and then have to figure out how to get back to that self care and sense of fine again. I dunno if that made any sense at all... I need more coffee.

Octomato
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Aug 2022, 6:41 am

Hi, I'm a bit late to respond but I'm autistic with moderate support needs as a child/teen I bordered on server but I heard its rare. I have terrible confidence problems when it comes to my IQ. Listen carefully, I can tell you what people have told me. IQ doesn't mean anything in fact the person who made IQ said it shouldn't be used to measure peoples intelligence but it was ignored. Lets say you where to go around and ask a group of people what they believed intelligence means. You'd find many people don't agree and are unsure. In short its fake it's just society's way of holding standards over peoples heads so they can determine weather or not you're fit for their society. This is a couple major things capitalism, Ableism, ignorance. I also know me saying this can only go so far but I try to hold onto it because its the best I have and there is hope it'll change. You may not be the best at academics but don't sell yourself short. You don't meet society's expectations? that doesn't mean anything. You'll find something your good at give it time and I promise there are good people out there. As for what level2 ASD means is well Yea it's about IQ. Mine is a embarrassing 75 but is it really that fair to judge my intelligence based on my testing speed? and multiple other factors that Isn't that my fault or other peoples? It's not only IQ that puts you at level2 It's also a combination of what you've stated on the test and questions along with your communication skills and ability to hold conversation. Your history also plays a huge role in getting a level2 diagnosis. if you have comorbidities and where developmentally and intellectually disabled growing up then you'll get classified as level2. When I came home with this diagnosis I googled it (Worse thing you can do) most people where giving advice on how good us level2s are at being independent but didn't have leve2 ASD. I want to let you know you can absolutely make reasonable decisions. Have good judgment skills and be capable of living alone. Yes, you may need help but that help is under your control if you're a adult don't let people convince you otherwise. You can always fight the system and try getting it to where you're learning to do it on your own and they'll let you if proven. But that is a task in itself. If not it's not the end of the world don't panic. You can always switch the payees you dislike or care givers who don't listen and make reports if something isn't being followed correctly. Living with ASD level2 sucks because people do treat you a bit differently. I feel people with ASD level2 is a bit more obvious and we tend to struggle with masking unlike others. This can make people sorta treat you like a child. But don't forget you're allowed to stand up for yourself and tell people you don't appreciate being treated like you're a child. Over time you'll find good people and those people end up respecting you. You may also notice I can't spell and my word placements are a bit strange (If I haven't already edited it by the time you reply) but that doesn't stop me from trying. Don't let people stop you.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 7:20 am

Kyaegha wrote:
I was diagnosed level 2/borderline 3.
People like to assume that because I don't really speak (I only speak to my spouse) that I'm not capable of anything requiring mental capacity.
Meanwhile, I tested as gifted, owned my own business, published my autobiography and attended college on a fast track master's. I'm successfully married and a mother of 3.
I love proving their assumptions wrong. :)

When assessing a suspected autisitcs capacity, overall achievements should always be taken into consideration. Autisitcs might not be well organised or some are very prone to stress, but if it's mitigated by other achievements then the going down a level is warranted.

An autistic might be the most socially inept person ever but if they're packing a PhD and are multi-millionaires then level two or three they ain't.

Diverse4Me
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Sep 2022, 11:27 am

Yeah, like others have said, ASD2 is just one of the more recent descriptors used in DSM-5 (2013), which actually removed the term Asperger's

Wiki: "the deletion of the subsets of autistic spectrum disorder—namely, Asperger's syndrome, classic autism, Rett syndrome, childhood disintegrative disorder and pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified"

replacing them with, yeah, the levels.

Looks like DSM-5-TR (March 2022) has changed it again, but Wikipedia doesn't dig further.

I'm ASD2, anyhow, and my IQ>142.

I think you could actually have IQ 160 and still be ASD3.

Meh it's all a big messy spectrum, not just 2d, but 3D sphere!

And at 2:30am my IQ has dropped a few points, however my ability to be logical will be significantly lower!

ASD2, ADHD, Anxiety, Depression etc