Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jul 2022, 11:23 pm

Yesterday I was at a party with many other co-workers. We were sitting at a wooden table. A small wood splinter entered in the skin of the hand of the co-worker who was sitting next to me. She tried to thrive it out by squeezing. I said to her: "Why don't you walk to the personnel of this pub and ask for a needle or a tweezer. Then it is easy to remove." She ignored it, and continued squeezing without any result. After 15 min. she was still buzy with it.

When I myself have a splinter I get a needle, I try to pop it out. After some seconds the pain caused by the splinter is gone. A little later the wound healed. If necessarily I create a little bigger wound with the needle. The pain that it causes is worth the effort. It never bleeds though.

Thinking about this, I tend to think that I am very solution oriented. Problems are for solving, right? Why would you let them continue?

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 2:10 am

I can get mine out with squeezing most of the time so I would try that as well. It's difficult to start cutting and stabbing oneself with a needle , so I only do it as a last resort.

You are solutions based, you might like coding/programming?

ShinakoAgogo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Jul 2022, 1:13 pm

This is how I am, as well. I wonder what factors may have inhibited your coworker's willingness to ask for a tool to use. It's also confusing to me when someone tries a method that has not been working and just keeps engaging that method. Haha, well now I am obsessing over the coworker's actions and perceptions, and how that could be overcome in the future.

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Aug 2022, 1:02 am

klanka wrote:
I can get mine out with squeezing most of the time so I would try that as well. It's difficult to start cutting and stabbing oneself with a needle , so I only do it as a last resort.

You are solutions based, you might like coding/programming?

A long time ago, I did like coding or progamming. But ended up at shool and do administrative work. My interest went from coding and programming to using applications like Word and Excel. I got interested in how administration and organisations function. How are things organized? My wish to solve problems or make existing procedures at work more efficient and effective, causes me to be interested in management and being an executive secretary (in the Netherlands it is mainly a female job, but I don't care; I care about what I am really interested in).

I could also be a manager (especially an office manager or management supporter).

I have some examples about inefficiency at my work. There is a lot of paper work. An extreme lot! We used 100.000 sheets for copying in no time. Why would we print all this stuff, instead of giving the students PDFs or Word documents and tell them to print them at home. Or the paper work in case of tests for the students. The logging system of when a student leaves the exam (because he has given answers to all exam questions) is with paper and pen. That is also a waste of paper to me. And it is prone to errors (my higher boss is a cherry picker and blamed me for being inaccurate, but she doesn't want to change the procedures to more effective ones).

For me it can be compared to use an old fashioned mechanical typewriter instead of a computer with Word or Excel, which has a spelling checker. You can't come up with an excuse: "We still use typewriters because it always worked." Now they are smart enough to use computers.

The management doesn't want to listen to an autistic, but is only intersted in money and my diagnosis (without a diagnoses, they don't get the money and they will fire me), not in my skills, not to my suggestions. I know I am an intellectual threat to some of my colleagues who are very important to the management.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 1:19 am

I do this too, where I will try to squeeze out a splinter instead of just going to the sewing department and getting a needle. I can't stand the feeling of splinters, but sometimes I also really just don't want to go through the effort of going out of my way to bother a coworker + sterilizing the needle + working the splinter out with it. I work in a factory though so I can't just do that during work, and during the small breaks we have and the events we have I don't want to waste leisurely time by removing a splinter... I usually wait until I get home to do that properly.