What do you think of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 12:31 am

It's the most difficult Harry Potter movie for me to decide on and such a mixed bag.

I find all the immature teen angst parts of the story to be just plain eye rolling and depressing, but maybe it's realistic and that's how teenagers are and I just forgot?

There is also a romantic subplot with Hagrid which seems totally inserted at random and out of left field, and doesn't really build towards much? Unless I am wrong?

What do you think?

Diamondisis
Toucan
Toucan

31 Oct 2022, 9:39 am

its ah'ight

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2022, 3:34 pm

It's not the worst HP film of the "main" series, but it's entertaining enough.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2022, 4:08 pm

It still cracks me up.

"HARRY, DIDYOUPUTYOURNAMEINTHEGOBLETOFFIRE?!" Dumbledore said calmly.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2022, 8:19 pm

I read it a long time ago & I found it entertaining.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 7:25 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:

As did me and my family.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 10:16 am

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

As did me and my family.

It's a good book. The entire Harry Potter series is good for both children & adults. It has a universal appeal.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 7:49 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

As did me and my family.

It's a good book. The entire Harry Potter series is good for both children & adults. It has a universal appeal.

Despite JK Rowling having revealed her true self. :evil:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 8:42 pm

Goblet of fire is when the HP series went on a different tack. I'm not sure of the exact motivation but Rowling and the producers realised from Chamber of Secrets and Prisoner of Azkaban that they were potentially losing younger audiences (I recently went to the "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child" theatre with my daughter and half the audience were under 12).

I think goblet of fire tried to make the story less dark and more fun (at least the first half of the movie). But the plot eventually moved in a dark direction when the contestants entered the maze and Harry had to face Voldermort.

I think the goblet of fire was trying to be more inclusive of a younger audience

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 9:14 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

As did me and my family.

Despite JK Rowling having revealed her true self. :evil:

Honestly, I feel as though the criticisms of her being transphobic are way overblown/hyped.

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2022, 12:09 pm

I’m not a major Harry Potter fan, I have only read the first book and half of the second one but I saw all the movies first and I do like them, some more than others and I think this one is alright although I did had a few issues with it when I first saw it after having seen the other 3 which I very much enjoyed. I didn’t like Ron being mad at Harry for something he didn’t do and there was that scene where Dumbledore went nuts asking Harry if he put his name in the Goblet and apparently in the book he said it “calmly”.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2022, 1:12 pm

tb86 wrote:
I didn’t like Ron being mad at Harry for something he didn’t do and there was that scene where Dumbledore went nuts asking Harry if he put his name in the Goblet and apparently in the book he said it “calmly”.

I think this bit was done clumsily but remember the average audience age who watched GOF. Also children Harry and Ron's age do fall out over stuff like this.

Tessadiamonds21
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Nov 2022, 9:04 am

I think that the GOF is an amazing film! I personally think it would be the only type of Olympic sport I would watch, plus the way its finally brought ( you know who) back was brilliant. Does anyone think this ?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2022, 7:30 pm

Tessadiamonds21 wrote:
I think that the GOF is an amazing film! I personally think it would be the only type of Olympic sport I would watch, plus the way its finally brought ( you know who) back was brilliant. Does anyone think this ?

Yes I thought it was clever way to spin the story leading to "you know who" coming back. I personally found the Cedric Diggory character somewhat annoying but I guess every teenage wizard movie needs Chads.

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2022, 7:51 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Tessadiamonds21 wrote:

Yes I thought it was clever way to spin the story leading to "you know who" coming back. I personally found the Cedric Diggory character somewhat annoying but I guess every teenage wizard movie needs Chads.

Ah, but the thing is, every high school has at least one "Chad," anyway.

Hufflepuffs don't get much airtime as it is; throw the good dogs a bone, wouldn't ya?

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 11:53 pm

KimD wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Tessadiamonds21 wrote:

Ah, but the thing is, every high school has at least one "Chad," anyway.

Hufflepuffs don't get much airtime as it is; throw the good dogs a bone, wouldn't ya?

I never thought of Cedric as a Chad, as I don't remember him having a date to the dance, unless I remember wrong :).